Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-03-2013, 07:28 PM   #1

Flashing exposure values on K-30 display

I'm pretty sure I understand this but I want to be sure. I am just getting used to my k-30 and I notice the exposure values often all flash at me while I'm setting up a picture. I looked and looked in the manual and can't see where this is precisely explained. From trial and error it seems to be when there is low light and it's warning me to use a flash, or when the exposure is outside the range that it can set, i.e. max f is 4.0 for the lens, you are in TV mode, and the shutter speed you selected requires f2.8. Vice versa for AV mode. Are these the only conditions?

05-03-2013, 08:04 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I believe that it means that the camera thinks you're going to underexpose with the current settings. If you're in a semi-auto mode, it means, as you said, that the camera can't set a valid shutter speed or aperture to go along with the other setting that you've dialed in.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-04-2013, 03:36 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mvsjes2 Quote
I'm pretty sure I understand this but I want to be sure. I am just getting used to my k-30 and I notice the exposure values often all flash at me while I'm setting up a picture. I looked and looked in the manual and can't see where this is precisely explained. From trial and error it seems to be when there is low light and it's warning me to use a flash, or when the exposure is outside the range that it can set, i.e. max f is 4.0 for the lens, you are in TV mode, and the shutter speed you selected requires f2.8. Vice versa for AV mode. Are these the only conditions?
If one exposure value flashes, it is an indication that that particular exposure value has reached the limit of its available values.

If two exposure values flash it indicates that the available light is outside the metering range of the camera. For a K-30 this is 0EV to 22EV. So if two values flash the available light is either less than 0 EV or greater than 22 EV.

Regards

Chris
05-04-2013, 07:14 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for the info. I will keep an eye on it and see if it makes sense now.

01-10-2014, 11:55 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Is there a way to disable this flashing? Sometimes i purposely shoot outside the recommended exposure settings for a reason and this flashing is quite irritating when im shooting a prolonged exposure.
01-11-2014, 03:37 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not that I could find. You can turn off the rear LCD entirely but the viewfinder numbers still blink.