Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-04-2013, 06:15 AM   #1

K-7 overheating CPU with video recording

I have had 2 episodes of video overheating. First was while outside on hot day but the second episode was indoors and with a brief recording time .
Has anyone else had this type of problem?

05-04-2013, 06:19 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
In the case of the K7 and K5, both cameras use HDMI out in video mode.
Using an external monitor for video work makes ALL the difference in heat issues.

Also, be aware that you should not leave the camera in standby, as that too, increases heat.

I use all sorts of tricks to cool my K5 cameras when I am shooting in Florida.

edit: I once owned a K7, but now that I think about it, I'm not sure it has HDMI out in video mode. That may have been added to the K5. I know 100% about the K5 - obviously.
05-04-2013, 06:43 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
In the case of the K7 and K5, both cameras use HDMI out in video mode.
Using an external monitor for video work makes ALL the difference in heat issues.

Also, be aware that you should not leave the camera in standby, as that too, increases heat.

I use all sorts of tricks to cool my K5 cameras when I am shooting in Florida.

edit: I once owned a K7, but now that I think about it, I'm not sure it has HDMI out in video mode. That may have been added to the K5. I know 100% about the K5 - obviously.
My overheating occurred while recording an air show on a hot NC day. Never saw a red thermometer on a camera screen before and stopped recording when camera suggested I stop before permanent damage occurs.
Second episode may have been while recording a brief video during birthday party. Same thermometer and warning.
05-04-2013, 06:59 AM   #4
Veteran Member

You sure it's the CPU and not the sensor?
The Sony sensor that is used is known to overheat quickly.

First time i hear what Lauren said, i've no experience with it but i don't see why it would help...

05-04-2013, 07:43 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That's odd. My k-7 seemed to overheat faster than my k-5. I guess YMMV. I certainly had overheating warnings in hot weather with my k-7 and extended live view. I never recorded video with it much because 720 didn't get me all that excited. I've shot a few videos here and there with my k-5 and never had a problem other than the short recording time but then I've never really pushed it very hard at all. Good tip on the HDMI out. I want to do more video, but really need more experience and the 5 minute limit on the k-5 is a problem for some things.
05-04-2013, 07:59 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
You sure it's the CPU and not the sensor?
The Sony sensor that is used is known to overheat quickly.

First time i hear what Lauren said, i've no experience with it but i don't see why it would help...
Part of the overheating is based in the LCD screen being on all the time in standby mode. If you are like me, I have my screen at full brightness.

The same over heating occurs if you use live view.

When using an external LCD, the LCD on the back of the camera is blank, and therefore dramatically reduces the heat in the camera.
05-04-2013, 09:03 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Does the LCD screen get so warm then?
05-04-2013, 09:10 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Does the LCD screen get so warm then?
Why does the LCD get so warn then? Is that what you mean?
Temperature hysteresis is part of the engineering of a camera.
It was something they just got a little wrong or didn't test out enough.

Magnesium shell, weather sealing and tight confines of the K7/K5 made for a tough engineering problem I guess.

It happens.

Pentax cameras are not made on Olympus and neither are Olympus.

05-04-2013, 10:02 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I'm not asking why but if they get warm.
I"ve never notice any heat coming off from the LCD screen of the K5 but never paid any atention to it.
05-04-2013, 10:19 AM   #10
Site Supporter

I'm not asking why but if they get warm.
I"ve never notice any heat coming off from the LCD screen of the K5 but never paid any atention to it.
Ah...got it.
05-04-2013, 10:53 AM   #11

Original Poster
Could be the sensor, I used the term CPU generically.
I'm not sure if the LCD was on as I was out in 95 degree sunshine the first time.
Will try it again and "pay attention".
Thanks for your help.
05-04-2013, 02:26 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Pete2815 Quote
Could be the sensor, I used the term CPU generically.
I'm not sure if the LCD was on as I was out in 95 degree sunshine the first time.
Will try it again and "pay attention".
Thanks for your help.
The sensors get pretty hot while recording video. The NEX cameras have a big problem with this due to the tight construction and lack of dissipation. Live view heats it up pretty quick. If you want to time it, put it in the sunlight on a tripod in 90F weather and turn on live view. I bet the k-5 fairs a bit better. My k-7 would die under these conditions in about 5 minutes. I don't think the LCD creates much heat personally. That's just my opinion. The sensor heats up quickly however. CMOS is supposed to be better than CCD. The 7D can record video for a long, long time, so clearly canon did something different. I could be wrong, but this is what I have gathered from experience and reading other's experiences. On the k-7 the sensor will heat up on long exposures and start to pick up noise. My k-5 seemed a lot better at longer exposures.
05-04-2013, 02:41 PM - 1 Like   #13
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Since its inception, the K-7 has been known to experience some overheating problem in some situations involving Liveview. For example, the K-7 user manual states clearly some Liveview overheating issues: see p. 306, where the manual links the overheating with the LCD use.

LaurenOE is spot on with the problem of the LCD overheating. An external LCD player is one excellent solution as suggested by Lauren.
05-04-2013, 03:08 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
LaurenOE is spot on with the problem of the LCD overheating. An external LCD player is one excellent solution as suggested by Lauren.
You really think that's the solution?

I believe the sensor itself and the processor generators more heat then the LCD.

I surely want to belief that the LCD makes a different, but how much differnce does it really make?
An external LCD is not cheap so if you expend the recording time only with seconds...
05-04-2013, 05:53 PM   #15
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You really think that's the solution?
Might not be the solution but it must help. It really can get hot down here and more so where she resides.