Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-05-2013, 10:56 AM   #1

Hahnel combi tf remote control

I've bought the Hahnel Combi Remote Control for use with a Pentax k5 and so far I'm disappointed with it's performance. I bought it as an alternative to the Pentax WP Remote Control which has too short a range and also requires line of sight to operate it. The Hahnel marketing blurb quotes range figures of up to 100 feet so I was looking forward to being able to use a remote control at a greater range and from near enough any direction to the camera, but to be honest I'm finding it's around the same range as the Pentax WP Remote Control, I've made sure that the jack points are all secure and new batteries are installed but it has made no difference to the disappointing range. Has anyone any suggestions [apart from binning the Hahnel] as to what could be wrong, or perhaps suggest another more effective, longer range wireless remote control?
I would be grateful for the benefit of other members experience>.

05-05-2013, 11:07 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
No idea about the Hahnel range and can only suggest the obvious which is ask at a camera shop about the range on what they sell then shop around for the best price.
05-05-2013, 11:16 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Here is your remote specs from one of the best UK camera shops

The advantage of a radio remote control in contrast to the infrared is that the signal uses radio waves, which means that transmission is possible through obstacles such as walls and ceilings. The ultra high frequency of 433MHz used by this model ensures that this remote control has an effective range of 30m .

Camera Remote Control systems compared. Is a review on remotes you should read look at the battery comments in the last section
05-11-2013, 05:53 PM   #4
Pentaxian

The ISM range (433 MHz and near below and above) is the most polluted frequency. Maybe you are using it in an area where dozens of other devices are permanently sending signals?

WLan, portable phones (DECT standard), Bluetooth, remote computer keyboards and mice, wireless headphones, speakers and microphones, car keys, microwave ovens, remote temperature sensors, remote switches for in-house devices (lights, heatings, etc.) come to mind. All of these are using that frequency range.

The ISM band is widely used, because by international agreements you don't need to register for a licence to use it.

EDIT:
This is also the reason why the range of these devices is usually restricted by national laws. Otherwise you would need a licence to ensure you are not blocking more important wireless signals.

EDIT 2:
Just 2 examples.
If the owner of the flat above me uses his microwave oven, the bitrate of my wireless lan drops by 90%.
And when the owner of the neighbouring house, direct distance 25m(!) used his wireless DECT phone, my wireless weather station doesn't get its temperature sensor data anymore (will need 5 minutes to syncronize again).

Last edited by RKKS08; 05-11-2013 at 06:19 PM.