Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-06-2013, 05:34 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by chromo Quote
Not difficult but you need to know what you're doing.
Some of the posts in this thread should be disregarded by anyone intending to open a flash enclosure or dslr body. The capacitors in these photo flashes can retain a high voltage indefinitely and need to be discharged properly and measured before service. Pressing the test button will not discharge the capacitor completely, moreover the inverter runs continuously to recharge it.
A Pentax dslr service manual shows in detail how to do it with high voltage probes and resistors.

Testing capacitors requires re- applying a high voltage.

Here is a photo of a field test on a much larger capacitor using a high potential tester with inbuilt discharge resistors, and a completely separate meter to verify that the thing is safe.

Attached Images

05-06-2013, 10:15 PM   #17
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Check the bulb and see it if is cracked. If it is the bulb, you can replace it yourself. It's not easy and will require soldering. I know which pins are connected to some kind of capacitor because I accidentally touched it and got a pretty good jolt and even burned my finger. Hitting the test button will discharge some of the voltage of the capacitor, not all. Maybe I will write a blog post about how I replaced the bulb. I took lots of photos of the process. The most difficult thing was figuring out how to open up the flash head.
05-06-2013, 11:31 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks for all the help and advice gents. I'm on hold to CRK (a not very enjoyable experience) waiting to talk to some actual human being about the problem and get a quote to repair it. It's not worth electrocuting myself over a flash.

Update: No over the phone quote for repair, I'll just have to take the flash in and have it assessed.
05-07-2013, 04:39 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wizofoz Quote
Thanks for all the help and advice gents. I'm on hold to CRK (a not very enjoyable experience) waiting to talk to some actual human being about the problem and get a quote to repair it. It's not worth electrocuting myself over a flash.

Update: No over the phone quote for repair, I'll just have to take the flash in and have it assessed.
Best of luck. Let us know how it all turns out.

07-01-2013, 03:49 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
just remembered I need to update this thread.

I got CRK to repair the flash at a cost of some $170ish. It works like new..

Thanks to all for advice and suggestions