Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-06-2013, 01:22 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I think we may have a viable workaround here!

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I use Bulk Rename Utility. It's free and extremely versatile.

05-06-2013, 02:37 PM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Spodeworld Quote
Some cameras allow you to change the prefix of a file name (file naming convention) so that if you have 2 K5s, for example, you may have one K5 name its files K5A_XXXX and the other K5B_XXXX. This way you not only know which camera you used, but also it prevents potential conflicts of 2 cameras producing files with the same file name.

I can see this happening when you don't have a Pentax that allows you to change your file naming convention by changing the prefix (from IMGP to something else). All images would start with the default IMGP prefix. So, if you used 2 cameras, they may each produce an image file with a name, say, IMGP_100.DNG. Then you have the issue of dealing different image files with the same name if you want to download them to the same folder (and there may be reasons for keeping them together).

Does anyone have any practical advice for addressing this (beyond, don't get 2 cameras where you can't assign file naming conventions, or don't put files in the same folder....)?

Thanks
I use a temporary directory for each camera, and use the batch rename feature of Corel PSP to modify the file names as I need. Specifically not just adding K10D or istD prefixes but also dealing with the odometer roll over, adding a leading 5th digit to image sequence number
05-06-2013, 02:45 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I have PSP. I didn't realize there was a batch rename feature. I'll look for how to use it.

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I use a temporary directory for each camera, and use the batch rename feature of Corel PSP to modify the file names as I need. Specifically not just adding K10D or istD prefixes but also dealing with the odometer roll over, adding a leading 5th digit to image sequence number
05-06-2013, 03:04 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

I use LR 3.6. This is from the help screen. All options are available on import. You would have to somehow identify the cards with the camera, I suspect. I did not see an option to pick up the camera serial number on import.

Lightroom uses the same naming options for importing, renaming, and exporting photos.
Custom Name (x of y)Names the photos using a custom name, followed by sequential numbers in relation to the total number of photos being imported. For example, 1 of 10, 2 of 10, 3 of 10, and so on.Custom Name - Original File NumberNames the photos using a custom name, followed by the numeric portion of the photos’ original filenames.Custom Name - SequenceNames the photos using a custom name, followed by sequential numbers starting with the number you specify.Custom NameNames the photos using a name you specify.Date - FilenameNames the photos using the creation (capture) date, followed by the photos’ complete original filenames.Filename - SequenceNames the photos using the photos’ original filenames, followed by sequential numbers starting with the number you specify.FilenameNames the photos using the photos’ original filenames.Shoot Name - Original File Number(Import) Names the imported photos using the shoot name, followed by the numeric portion of the photos’ original filenames.Shoot Name - Sequence(Import) Names the imported photos using the shoot name, followed by sequential numbers starting with the number you specify.Session Name - Sequence(Tethered capture import) Names the photos using the session name, followed by sequential numbers starting with the number you specify.EditNames the photos using the options you set in the Filename Template Editor. See The Filename Template Editor and Text Template Editor.

05-06-2013, 11:48 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
For weddings where we might be using up to four bodies and not all the same brand I photograph my watch at the start with all the bodies.
In lightroom I import all the images then in liberary module I use the meta data search to select each body's images. I then find the watch picture and correct the time. This is done for each image set so that they all appear in order regardless of the body or name.
Not quite what the Spodeworld asked but I though I would mention it any way.

BTW using k5, k10,k30 currently as well as depending who is assisting other bodies I have never had a numbering conflict. There is the option on the k30 to use a new folder which changes the folder prefix which while does not help renaming ( like you can with the k5 ) should avoid conflicts would it not?
05-07-2013, 02:29 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Spodeworld: No, I rename when importing to Lightroom - you could use any renaming tool for that.

QuoteOriginally posted by adwb Quote
For weddings where we might be using up to four bodies and not all the same brand?
There are 2 problems with this method, one more problematic than the other - I ran into it early on:

1. I use 2 bodies of same model (K-30). LR won't/can't tell them apart.

2. I ran into shot numbers overlapping early on. This is the reason I have time included in my filenames. Using sequences could do the trick as well, but I never liked the idea of doing that.
05-07-2013, 04:14 AM   #22
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I use Bulk Rename Utility. It's free and extremely versatile.
Very handy - thanks for the link!
05-07-2013, 04:33 AM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Spodeworld Quote
I have PSP. I didn't realize there was a batch rename feature. I'll look for how to use it.
The whole process goes like this.

Copy cards from cameras into their temporary directory.

In the browser/organizer mode (this changes with version) select all the photos

Then in the file menu pull down select batch rename

You will then see a list of the files you want.

You can select a prefix and a numerical starting point separately, so I put camera name (K10D, etc) in the prefix, and the sequence number to start numbering at and let it do its thing.

I discovered this Process when I got my K10 and have used it ever since. It allows to start the numerical sequence above 9999 so I don't have duplicate file names for the inevitable "roll over" of the counter (all 4 of my DSLRs are well beyond this, as well as managing the prefix for camera type

Once renamed, the photos get copied into folders filed by year\month\(optional event) for archival purpose, and copied again into any project directory if I do something special with them. I never edit and resale the originals so I can always go back to the start if I ally screw up an edit, as I work only in JPEG

05-07-2013, 10:00 AM   #24
Site Supporter

One other possibility.... If your selected color space is sRGB, the file name starts with a letter, but if you select the Adobe color space, the filename starts with an underscore _ and then a letter. Of course you would probably want to settle on outputting to a uniform color space if you do PP. Only you can decide if this is a difference that is meaningful in your shooting context.
05-07-2013, 10:12 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Another solution will be to leave the name the same and when saving the files on your computer, organize them in folders - takes no time at all to create a folder.
Is as easy as:

Camera 1 folder > Year folder > Month folder > Day folder + description > All files from "Camera 1" goes here.
Camera 2 folder > Year folder > Month folder > Day folder + description > All files from "Camera 2" goes here.
Camera 3 folder > Year folder > Month folder > Day folder + description > All files from "Camera 3" goes here.
05-07-2013, 02:59 PM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
Another solution will be to leave the name the same and when saving the files on your computer, organize them in folders - takes no time at all to create a folder.
Is as easy as:

Camera 1 folder > Year folder > Month folder > Day folder + description > All files from "Camera 1" goes here.
Camera 2 folder > Year folder > Month folder > Day folder + description > All files from "Camera 2" goes here.
Camera 3 folder > Year folder > Month folder > Day folder + description > All files from "Camera 3" goes here.
Except that many of us with multiple bodies like to switch cameras and lenses mid shoot, but want the shots in order of time. Also, over time just splitting by camera does not address odometer roll over and duplicate file names from the same camera
05-07-2013, 03:16 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Except that many of us with multiple bodies like to switch cameras and lenses mid shoot, but want the shots in order of time. Also, over time just splitting by camera does not address odometer roll over and duplicate file names from the same camera
I have multiple bodies as well... I was only offering another solution...
05-08-2013, 02:10 AM   #28
Moderator PEG Judges

but want the shots in order of time
As long as you synch the clocks on the actual cameras prior to the shoot, you could then sort the images by capture time in the likes of Lightroom.
05-08-2013, 02:31 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
As long as you synch the clocks on the actual cameras prior to the shoot, you could then sort the images by capture time in the likes of Lightroom.
Hm.....wouldn't an O-GPS1 on each camera body be the ticket to always have the clocks perfectly synchronized?

Who needs flash anyways
05-08-2013, 03:45 AM   #30
Moderator PEG Judges

QuoteOriginally posted by tclausen Quote
clocks perfectly synchronized?
I think as long as they're fairly close to each other it'll be good enough to work out fine.