Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
05-08-2013, 04:12 AM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
I think as long as they're fairly close to each other it'll be good enough to work out fine.
Don't stop short of anything but perfection - isn't that why we use Pentax in the first place?

(Or, were you talking about relativistic effects? )

05-08-2013, 04:15 AM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
As long as you synch the clocks on the actual cameras prior to the shoot, you could then sort the images by capture time in the likes of Lightroom.
But in many programs, including PSP, you only see in the browser photos in one directory, therefore the need to have unique file names per image, as opposed, to keeping shots from each camera in different directories.

That was the context of the comment, not about having the clocks perfectly synchronized.
05-11-2013, 08:13 AM   #33
Pentaxian

It would be nice if there was an option for the camera to use an actual shutter count serial number (but with 6 digits) in the filename, instead of worrying about putting the wrong card in the camera and changing the numbering, or having a camera that outlasts the 100k shutter life.

Paul
05-13-2013, 01:53 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
It would be nice if there was an option for the camera to use an actual shutter count serial number (but with 6 digits) in the filename, instead of worrying about putting the wrong card in the camera and changing the numbering, or having a camera that outlasts the 100k shutter life.

Paul
Actually I disagree, many shooters want to reset the counter on a job by job basis, the fact that others do not, should not impose a forced file name, additionally there are file name length issues potentially which is why I suspect we are limited in total characters, although I would really love an additional digit. After 100k (99999 actually) I would not care about roll over, but after 9999 it is problematic

05-14-2013, 07:40 AM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Actually I disagree, many shooters want to reset the counter on a job by job basis, the fact that others do not, should not impose a forced file name, additionally there are file name length issues potentially which is why I suspect we are limited in total characters, although I would really love an additional digit. After 100k (99999 actually) I would not care about roll over, but after 9999 it is problematic
This is what happens after a series of many perfectly logical small decisions. Still stuck with DOS 8.3 file names, 18 years after DOS stopped requiring them.
05-18-2013, 06:56 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have Lightroom rename the files as they are imported, Bridge will do this too. I have used the same naming convention for several years, at work and at home. Here is a typical file name: 20130504004, First four digits are year, 5 & 6 are month, 7 & 8 are day of the month, and last three are sequential series number (it can be set for more digits than that). The import subfolder is created the same way, o this goes into subfolder 20130504 (which is created in folder 2013). With this method I can look at a photo file that is anywhere (even on-line) and know when I took it without having to take the extra step of viewing EXIF.

I recently got a Q so for the first time have two Pentax cameras. I may set the sequential digits to start at 1001 for the K-30 and 2001 for the Q. I would have to change that before each import. Currently is is set to start at 001, but if I have already loaded photos from one camera in a day I have to change that before import of I will get the same numbers with a -2 on the end of the name. The only problem with this is that you have to remember to do it. I'll have to make sure there is no way to have Lightroom add another digit using camera EXIF which would be better yet.
05-27-2013, 05:49 PM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I just got Lightroom 4 (this may be possible in 3 too) and have changed my naming of files. This is a file just imported from the camera, Lightroom renames the files on import to my specs: 20130527PENTAX K-30-0003.dng. The first 8 digits are date: YYYMMDD, obviously the next part is the camera name, the last 4 digits are the sequence. Many parts of the exif data can be used in the file name including camera serial number, lens name. You could get into pretty long fikle names if you want to.

Here's two files in the same folder:
20130526PENTAX Q-0001.dng
20130526PENTAX K-30-0001.dng

Before I added the camera name to the file name I would either have to tell Lightroom to start at a different sequence number (on imports from a second camera on the same day) or Lightroom would add a -2 to the file name. If you had two of the same camera using the serial number would be an easy way to distinguish the files from each.

There is a lot of freedom to set this up however you want. I've used the date and sequence for years and it has worked well. Now with a second camera adding that camera name has simplified things.