Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-06-2013, 08:43 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
File naming when you have more than one Pentax

Some cameras allow you to change the prefix of a file name (file naming convention) so that if you have 2 K5s, for example, you may have one K5 name its files K5A_XXXX and the other K5B_XXXX. This way you not only know which camera you used, but also it prevents potential conflicts of 2 cameras producing files with the same file name.

I can see this happening when you don't have a Pentax that allows you to change your file naming convention by changing the prefix (from IMGP to something else). All images would start with the default IMGP prefix. So, if you used 2 cameras, they may each produce an image file with a name, say, IMGP_100.DNG. Then you have the issue of dealing different image files with the same name if you want to download them to the same folder (and there may be reasons for keeping them together).

Does anyone have any practical advice for addressing this (beyond, don't get 2 cameras where you can't assign file naming conventions, or don't put files in the same folder....)?

Thanks

05-06-2013, 08:49 AM   #2
Veteran Member

When importing, at least in Aperture, you can ask Aperture to rename the originals to stuff such as "K5A_MyFancyPrefixJustToHaveOne-<orignal-filename>.DNG" to your liking.

I'd gather that this is the same for all import tools (and for those where it's not, a simple bash script run on the memory card after connecting to the computer and before importing, should do the trick).
05-06-2013, 09:36 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Have one camera use PEFs, the other use DNGs?
05-06-2013, 09:44 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
tclausen - I prefer to drag and drop rather than use an importer....although it is a pretty good idea....your bash script sounds like a good idea too...if I knew how to do that!

05-06-2013, 09:47 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Spodeworld Quote
tclausen - I prefer to drag and drop rather than use an importer....although it is a pretty good idea....your bash script sounds like a good idea too...if I knew how to do that!
Something like this (try at your own risk, suggest copying a pile of files somewhere to test on, rather than kill your main repository):

for i in *.dng; do mv $i K5A_$i; done
05-06-2013, 10:43 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Is this something I would do in a DOS prompt? I have Windows 7. Or are we talking Linux here?

Actually, what I would like to do is leave the numbering in, just change to IMGP to K01A or something like that so that it would move from IMGP_1021 to K01A_1021.

QuoteOriginally posted by tclausen Quote
Something like this (try at your own risk, suggest copying a pile of files somewhere to test on, rather than kill your main repository):

for i in *.dng; do mv $i K5A_$i; done

05-06-2013, 10:52 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I may have found a solution. I saw an article on Lifehacker for something called Bulk Rename Utility. It is a Windows utility. It looks like it allows partial string replacements.

Introduction - Bulk Rename Utility
05-06-2013, 11:04 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Spodeworld Quote
Is this something I would do in a DOS prompt? I have Windows 7. Or are we talking Linux here?

Actually, what I would like to do is leave the numbering in, just change to IMGP to K01A or something like that so that it would move from IMGP_1021 to K01A_1021.
Should work on any system that comes with a Bourne (compatible) shell. That includes most Unices (such as MacOS) and derivatives (such as Linux) and I'm given to understand that Windows with something called "cygnus" should offer a Bourne compliant shell also.

That said, I upgraded from Windows back when it was in version 2.0 (I think in the 80es or early 90es?), and have not used it since, so perhaps somebody else can verify?

05-06-2013, 11:06 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I use 2 for weddings and other events - I use following naming scheme:

ziYYMMDD_HHMMSS_SHOT#, where SHOT# is the number from the camera. I don't really need that part but have it for convenience. Dates and times are capture related.
05-06-2013, 11:18 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I can set my K-20D to name file to K20Dxxxx, but can not doing so with the K30
05-06-2013, 12:32 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hi Zafar,

I assume you are talking about in camera naming? The problem is if the camera doesn't allow you to tailor the file naming convention. If not, you are stuck with IMGP_SHOT#, at least in the camera. My K20D allows me to assign one camera K20A_SHOT# and the other K20B_SHOT#. My K-01 doesn't allow file naming tailoring. That's why I was looking for a solution as I am thinking of getting a K30 and since that can't be tailored either, it is possible that images from the K-01 and K30 may have the exact same names (and some of my early K20D shots before I realized this functionality was available). I guess the solution is an external renaiming tool if it can't be done in camera.

QuoteOriginally posted by Zafar Iqbal Quote
I use 2 for weddings and other events - I use following naming scheme:

ziYYMMDD_HHMMSS_SHOT#, where SHOT# is the number from the camera. I don't really need that part but have it for convenience. Dates and times are capture related.
05-06-2013, 12:33 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Right. I have 2 K20Ds (as I noted above) and I find that functionality very convenient. I am thinking of getting the K30 and it concerns me.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ken T Quote
I can set my K-20D to name file to K20Dxxxx, but can not doing so with the K30
05-06-2013, 12:39 PM   #13
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Actually, I don't even think that that option exists with the newer cameras.

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
Have one camera use PEFs, the other use DNGs?
05-06-2013, 01:12 PM   #14
Moderator PEG Judges

I believe its possible to batch rename with both Bridge and Lightroom.
05-06-2013, 01:17 PM - 1 Like   #15
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

I use Bulk Rename Utility. It's free and extremely versatile.