Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-06-2013, 09:17 PM   #1

new k-30 bad usb driver?

Trying my new K-30 and now I want to copy the images from it onto my computer. So I hook up the USB cord (same one I used for my K-2000 btw) and my computer (windows 7 64-bit) recognizes the camera as a drive letter. Then I go to copy all the pictures from the camera to my computer and.....after four images it locks up. Solid. Every time. I turned camera off, rebooted computer, tried again. Same results.

Any ideas? Searching the forum shows a few hits but nothing that seems to be definitive. My K-2000 never had a problem, I could copy all the images from it all night long, this one simply stops and locks up the camera after copying four images.

I am using a Sandisk 16GB Extreme SDHC Class 10 U1 45MB/s card. Perhaps that card isn't "fully" compatible with my new K-30 camera? What would cause the lock up in the middle of copying files to my computer? Help!

05-06-2013, 09:25 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
First of all use card reader, it's faster and will not kill your battery. Second chek card it maybe locked.
05-06-2013, 09:31 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mushu Quote

I am using a Sandisk 16GB Extreme SDHC Class 10 U1 45MB/s card. Perhaps that card isn't "fully" compatible with my new K-30 camera?
No, I use same card but to 32GB in my K30 without problem.
05-06-2013, 09:32 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The K-30 Manual has a Troubleshooting section (p-270) that may cover this issue: "The USB connection with a computer does not work properly."

The advice there is: "The USB connection mode is set to [PTP]".

The suggested fix is: "Set [USB Connection] to [MSC] in [Interface Options] of the [R Set-up 2] menu. (p.229)"

Give that a try. MSC means 'Mass Storage Class', which is what you need if you want your camera to show up as a USB drive in Windows.

It could also be the card. Are you running the latest firmware? There have been some compability issues with the newest SD cards that may have been addressed in the latest firmware.

05-06-2013, 09:59 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think a generic USB driver is used by Windows, so the driver isn't something specific to Pentax.

As rawr suggested, check the USB connection mode in the menu first.

SD cards can also be dodgy - even the 'name' brands. I have a Sandisk 32Gb card at the moment that mostly works, but is occassionally unreliable and fails to write an image away correctly.
05-06-2013, 10:29 PM   #6

Original Poster
It was already set to "MSC" in the camera settings (thank you) and the first thing i did was upgrade the firmware to the newest 1.04 version.

It is simply weird, I can drop to a DOS window and do a COPY command and individually it works just fine but if I try to use a wildcard it copies four files and then locks up. Every time.

So I tried an experiment, just now I tried to copy an 85MB file to the camera from my computer...it copied for a while and then locked up. So now I think the card is at fault perhaps in its buffering or something...?

Is the camera USB 3 compatible? Perhaps I can try a different USB port on my computer...

YOU WON'T BELIEVE THIS but I just swapped the cord to use another USB port on the back of my computer and NOW IT WORKS GREAT! I'm in the middle of copying all the files using wildcards in a DOS window and no lockups yet after about 50 images! Yay! I don't know what the difference is between those two ports, will need to pull it out and grab a flashlight, etc, etc, but that's for a rainy day I think. Thanks everyone for your suggestions

Last edited by Mushu; 05-06-2013 at 10:44 PM.
05-06-2013, 11:43 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I had similar problems. The problem with mine was that I had a long female usb extension cable between my computer and the camera's usb cable.

Mind you I had use this same setup with my old k-m. So I was scratching my head why it will not work with my K-30.
It turns out that the problem was power because of the length of the cable combination. When I shorten the extension cable everything worked well.
05-07-2013, 12:13 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Not all USB ports run off the same USB chip on the motherboard. USB2 only ports probably run off the Intel Southbridge chip while, depending on the age of the motherboard, USB3 or additional sets of USB2 ports may run off a thrid party chip. So different ports may have different low level drivers. Check your motherboard manual maybe.

05-07-2013, 01:39 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Yay! A happy ending.
06-04-2013, 12:00 PM   #10

Original Poster
USB 3.0 works, USB 2.0 does not

Sorry for the bump on old post but I think it will be helpful for future Googlers.

I just pulled everything out and took a look on the back of my computer and found that the K-30 is not compatible with USB 2.0 because it will only copy a few files before locking up. When I plugged it into a USB 3.0 port it works great, I'm ten minutes into copying 5.6GB of images off my camera from a week long trip.
06-04-2013, 01:51 PM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mushu Quote
Sorry for the bump on old post but I think it will be helpful for future Googlers.

I just pulled everything out and took a look on the back of my computer and found that the K-30 is not compatible with USB 2.0 because it will only copy a few files before locking up. When I plugged it into a USB 3.0 port it works great, I'm ten minutes into copying 5.6GB of images off my camera from a week long trip.
The K-30 is compatible to USB 2.0, that is even stated in the manual. I have no problems with USB 2.0 (I don't have a USB 3.0 port). You are getting backwards compatibility on you USB 3.0 port. There is something amiss with your USB 2.0 port or driver.