Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-07-2013, 07:22 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Older Takumar Lens with Pentax DSLR

Hi Guys,

I have an older Takumar f 28-80 zoom lens that I used with my old Pentax Film camera. I have never really used it with my K10D. I know I can, but was wondering how it will perform vs the newer digital lenses

Thnaks

05-07-2013, 07:28 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
try it and find out for yourself. it is the best way. Many people have mixed feelings about the Takumar bayonet lenses, they clearly lack the coatings of the SMC pentax lenses, which is a big negative. Use a hood and avoid the sun in the frame (or close to the optical axis
05-07-2013, 07:46 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It was the 'kit' lens back in the day and as such not the best Pentax had to offer. Still, a perfectly useable lens and you might find the rendering of the older glass to your liking. As Lowell says the lack of coatings (or at least lack of SMC) means the use of a hood is very beneficial, if not a requirement.

Here is the review link: Takumar-F 28-80mm F3.5-4.5 Reviews - Non-SMC Pentax Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
05-07-2013, 07:47 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Not my favorite lenses but try it for yourself and let us know what you think. I doubt it will be any better then the actual kit zoom.

05-07-2013, 08:03 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I've been scanning a lot of film stuff recently. It is amazing how long it took me to realize how much flare I could get. I really should have seen it in the viewfinder. This is the Takumar-A 70-200/4, similar coatings to the other bayonet-mount Taks:

05-07-2013, 08:41 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
I've been scanning a lot of film stuff recently. It is amazing how long it took me to realize how much flare I could get. I really should have seen it in the viewfinder. This is the Takumar-A 70-200/4, similar coatings to the other bayonet-mount Taks:
thanks , all for some very helpful information
05-07-2013, 11:00 AM   #7

Photos: Albums
Old Takumar's in general work great. But where old primes are often still quite desirable, we've learned a lot about how to design better zooms since then and most old zooms are fairly low image quality. Nothing to do with digital vs. film, just improvements in design over the years. It seems we had prime lens design sorted out pretty early by comparison.
05-07-2013, 02:15 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Precision calculation of zoom lenses needed a considerable amount of computing time on mainframes specialized for number crunching.

Outside of nuclear weapon development (and probably NASA) this became only widely available end of the eighties.

After that, zoom lenses made a very big leap forward in a very short time.

05-07-2013, 02:36 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I use one of the FA 28-80 zooms as my regular lens on my K-01 and it works pretty well. I think the key to some of these older zooms is "price". I got mine for $35 and it's been well worth it. Since your lens is a leftover from your film days, the price was certainly right, so I say, "Use it!"