Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-09-2013, 03:44 PM   #1

Is it possible to mount flash used for Canon cameras on Pentax Cameras?

Hi, I am not sure if you guys were able to understand the question so I'll explain.

I am trying to find out whether it is possible to mount Flashes used for Canon cameras on Pentax cameras such as K-5 and still be able to use it.

Thanks!

05-09-2013, 04:24 PM   #2

Ive used a flashes meant for sigma and canon DSLRs on my k-r. They worked fine, but the ttl didnt work due to different ttl technologies. I was able to use them in manual mode though.
Do this at your own discretion as people say it can short your camera. I dont recall seeing anyone ever complain that they shorted their own camera though...
05-09-2013, 06:07 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pcchoon Quote
I am trying to find out whether it is possible to mount Flashes used for Canon cameras on Pentax cameras such as K-5 and still be able to use it.
Yes, as long as you are happy with manually choosing power levels (or full power all the time).
There will be no automatic exposure support since a Pentax-dedicated flash (manufactured by Pentax, Sigma, Metz, or others) is necessary for automation support.

It is entirely safe to use flashes from other brands, provided their trigger voltage doesn't exceed 30V. All recent Canon flashes stay below 6V, so are completely safe to use.
05-09-2013, 06:07 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Hi
Will work fine in manual mode.
Turn the flash to manual and adjust the power output. Select your settings manually on the camera.
The flash may have some auto settings as apposed to TTL settings ie set the aperture (relates to distances) on the flash - if it does that will work to just like the auto flashes did before TTL
I am assuming the canon flash is designed for digital cameras and has a low voltage that won't cook your electronics.

05-09-2013, 06:20 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by subphylum Quote
Ive used a flashes meant for sigma and canon DSLRs on my k-r. They worked fine, but the ttl didnt work due to different ttl technologies. I was able to use them in manual mode though.
Do this at your own discretion as people say it can short your camera. I dont recall seeing anyone ever complain that they shorted their own camera though...
Thank you
05-09-2013, 06:20 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Yes, as long as you are happy with manually choosing power levels (or full power all the time).
There will be no automatic exposure support since a Pentax-dedicated flash (manufactured by Pentax, Sigma, Metz, or others) is necessary for automation support.

It is entirely safe to use flashes from other brands, provided their trigger voltage doesn't exceed 30V. All recent Canon flashes stay below 6V, so are completely safe to use.
Thanks Very much
05-09-2013, 07:09 PM   #7
Site Supporter

I have a mid-to-late 80's Starblitz made for Canon TTL systems. This has three pins, plus ground. It works fine in manual and auto-thyristor modes. The trigger is only about 6 volts and the two additional pins do not contact any of the auxiliary contacts on a modern Pentax hotshoe. I'm guessing a modern (brand new) Canon A-TTL or E-TTL flash should probably have one more additional pin for a digital contact, but even if that is true, I tend to doubt that it matters even if it touches other parts of the Pentax hotshoe.

Are you trying to use a new Canon flash, or an older model? If you can be more specific, you will get more direct answers.

If the flash supports auto-thyristor mode, you will be much happier than a pure manual flash.