Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-09-2013, 04:53 PM   #1

k5 or k5 iis

I've read on other forums 5iis is better than k5 bec of its low light af. Is the low light af is really 500 dollars worthy to upgrade. Is K5 af really that bad? Might to lean on getting k5 iis coz of the new af safox system and lowlight plus the no AA filter for sharper image. Until this analysis from snapshot. See link below

Pentax K-5 IIs vs K-5 - Our Analysis

K5 not only matched the iis in image quality but the score seems to suggest its way bbetter than k5 iis. Alao has a faster autofocus. Any take on this?

05-09-2013, 05:15 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have you seen our review?

Pentax K-5 II / IIs Review - Introduction - PentaxForums.com

In very low light, without the AF assist beam, the K-5 II's AF will lock while the K-5's wont. Many users won't notice the difference in everyday shooting, but it's definitely there.

Because the only difference between the K-5 and the K-5 IIs's sensor is the removal of the AA filter, the difference in image quality is subtle. When used with quality lenses at large apertures, the K-5 IIs's files will appear sharper. Applying post-processing to the K-5 file will yield a comparable result, but out of camera, you can certainly get more sharpness with the K-5 IIs.

I personally don't like filterless cameras because of the increased risk for moire.

BTW, the site you linked didn't actually do their own tests. The reason the K-5 IIs is so much lower is that they're missing its AF specs (see the specs tab).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-09-2013, 07:01 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks Adam that is good to know. regarding lenses, i want to probably collect 2-3 lenses and would like to get your input on what's the best for portrait and sports...

I. for portrait does the shorter range and lower f-stop always works the best? i.e 35mm /f1.4, on the nikons, heard 70-300 f2.8 works does it work the same for the k5? i own d70 and decided it's time to upgrade to d7100 then i bumped into the K5s and it easily convinced me to get a pentax.

II. for sports and portraits, is it advisable to get the k5 iis? been getting reviews that some people prefer IIs if they do landscape.
III. Read on one review the K5 had an AF issue when you move away from the subject or the subject is moving, is this something that is really in issue? or it's a case by case basis.

thanks again.
05-09-2013, 08:05 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by ejaedon Quote
Thanks Adam that is good to know. regarding lenses, i want to probably collect 2-3 lenses and would like to get your input on what's the best for portrait and sports...

I. for portrait does the shorter range and lower f-stop always works the best? i.e 35mm /f1.4, on the nikons, heard 70-300 f2.8 works does it work the same for the k5? i own d70 and decided it's time to upgrade to d7100 then i bumped into the K5s and it easily convinced me to get a pentax.

II. for sports and portraits, is it advisable to get the k5 iis? been getting reviews that some people prefer IIs if they do landscape.
III. Read on one review the K5 had an AF issue when you move away from the subject or the subject is moving, is this something that is really in issue? or it's a case by case basis.

thanks again.
You might want to ask the portrait question in a separate thread. The K-5 II isn't much better in continuous mode than the K-5, and the D7000/7100 are still both much better. Haven't heard of the third issue.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-09-2013, 08:40 PM   #5
Forum Member

thanks again.
Just another thought, and Adam feel free to comment on this if you know more than I do:
I am on my second K5, the first developed a form of mirror flop / battery depleted jamup problem early on in it's life and was sent of for repairs 3 times. On the third occasion the supplier made the call to replace it with a brand new body.

But wait it gets worse, during the second repair, I was given the use of exchange K5, After 5 photos it too developed a similar malady and died (Press shutter - get battery depleted message, have to switch off / on and it does it again)

Finally I received the new body, and to be honest I felt like a camera killer

After 3 happy months, new K5 has started the mirror flop trick and has gone off for repairs

Finally my point, Have there been reports of the K5II or K5IIs having similar issues ? or are they resolved ? That alone would make my decision for me.

Focussing : The K5 is not that great with objects approaching you, and you need to be a bit pro-active to increase the odds of getting in focus photos. I do a lot of horse photography and it's by no means terrible or unusable, it just could be better
05-09-2013, 09:41 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

To answer your question I have both the K5 and K5iis and the differance between the K5 and K5ii/s low light focusing is staggering. So much so I am considering retiring/selling my K5, which is used as a back-up, and replacing it with a K5ii.
05-10-2013, 08:42 AM   #7
Pentaxian

thanks again.
All the Pentax DSLRs use the same sensor physical size as the Nikon D70 did - I think Nikon calls it DX, we call it APS-C. So whatever focal lengths worked on your D70 are going to work about the same on a Pentax. Pentax has a different idea about what prime lenses to sell - they don't have an 85mm lens but they do sell a 70mm and a 77mm. It usually is close enough or there's a third-party or old lens that works.

Moving stuff or moving the camera is going to cause any autofocus system trouble. Nothing will track a bullet. Pentax has a reputation for not being as good at this as other systems. But you don't see a lot of controlled tests on it, just complaints of AF failure. Pentax is probably behind but it's hard to say how much, or whether they are not good enough for your particular sport and lens.
05-10-2013, 10:36 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Auto focusing - this has been a topic for endless discussion since it is felt that Pentax AF is inferior to Canon and Nikon. If you are shooting sports, I don't think that there is any question that both Canon and Nikon are faster to lock focus. That is just a given. However, there is another aspect to auto focusing and that is accuracy.

A German magazine did a test, and found that Pentax is slower than Canon or Nikon, but has a higher AF accuracy when it locks than either Canon and Nikon.Couple this with the lower light levels that the II and IIs perform in, and Pentax does quite well. Yes, there is still the continuous focus locking for objects in motion. On the subject of continuous AF, here is an analysis on the K7 (prior model to the K5) and K20, that may help that Falk performed....All in all, I think you need to consider how you are going to use the camera.