Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
05-11-2013, 09:18 AM   #16
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Every brand, every camera model has issues sometimes, be it Pentax, Olympus, Nikon etc.

This is a rare fault. I've never seen or heard of it before. Generally the K-x is a very reliable little trooper. I suspect that since it was a second hand unit, there may be something in the cameras past (a physical knock or shock, or something else damaging) that you may not have been aware of before you bought the camera.
Yes it could had been, I am very careful what I buy specially second hand. I did a due diligence on it with low actuation, no sign of being dropped and clean….but for less than $200 what can go wrong? Anyway I had a good 8 months with this camera, would I buy it again…No…Pentax other units, maybe…What I like about their product is the compact design for DSLR, the weather sealing, able to use old lenses and the price. Will wait and see if and when they come out with full frame (main goal) hopefully soon.

05-11-2013, 09:34 AM   #17
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
No offense, but its a K-x. How old is that camera? How many photos has it taken and where has it traveled? Unfortunately, digital cameras don't have as long a life span as older SLRs did, and even a little defect can have a big effect on the image. I know there are some people still shooting with even older digital cameras and produce amazing images, but its not that unexpected.
That being said, you can try doing things like turning SR off, using a remote timer, making sure the lens/mount contacts are clean, there isn't any dirt on the SR mechanism, even reverting to an older firmware.. Hopefully it will work out for you. You can also think about getting a cheap K-01 - it has better IQ output and might cost you less than repairing the K-x.
No offence at all, I have done all the thing you have mentioned above. I do agree with you in respect of older camera i have own several SLR and nothing close to compare their durability with the digital. And I do own Canon Powershot G5 2002 model and it still holding on its own…except for the battery of course. Will have to shop around to see whats out there that suit my needs…thank you
05-14-2013, 07:38 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Amante Quote
Yes it could had been, I am very careful what I buy specially second hand. I did a due diligence on it with low actuation, no sign of being dropped and clean….but for less than $200 what can go wrong? Anyway I had a good 8 months with this camera, would I buy it again…No…
Hm, what battery are you using? I just had the thought that unstable batteries could affect the sensor stabilization. Maybe if you can try a different battery, or an AA adapter.
Btw, I just tried taking some long exposures last night and had a hard time because the wind would shake my tripod just enough to make everything look blurry.. or maybe it was me walking around the tripod, but I got very few keepers
05-14-2013, 02:02 PM   #19
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hm, what battery are you using? I just had the thought that unstable batteries could affect the sensor stabilization. Maybe if you can try a different battery, or an AA adapter.
Btw, I just tried taking some long exposures last night and had a hard time because the wind would shake my tripod just enough to make everything look blurry.. or maybe it was me walking around the tripod, but I got very few keepers
I have been using Duracel Nimh, I have been trying to find enolope in town but no luck. But did try to go back to alkaline no change.
Get a big umbrella next time or weight the tripod down beside holding it down (I tried that too holding the tripod in cold winter night…buuurrr…) I am going to get it look at and see how much it cost me

05-14-2013, 07:21 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have been using Duracel Nimh, I have been trying to find enolope in town but no luck. But did try to go back to alkaline no change.
Get a big umbrella next time or weight the tripod down beside holding it down (I tried that too holding the tripod in cold winter night…buuurrr…) I am going to get it look at and see how much it cost me
There are several threads here about buying batteries (Eneloops, etc) in Canada - here's one - https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/61045-canadian-stuff.html
05-15-2013, 12:43 AM   #21
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChipB Quote
There are several threads here about buying batteries (Eneloops, etc) in Canada - here's one - https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/61045-canadian-stuff.html
Thanks ChipB, will look into it.
06-13-2013, 01:14 PM   #22
Forum Member

Original Poster
Ok update, Finally got the word from Pentax repair centre in Ontario. SR block assembly need replacing and it will the cost of…. drum roll please…..$376.00…. WOW hello new camera….

06-13-2013, 02:22 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Ouch! That sucks. But look at it from the bright side - K-30 is pretty cheap now, K-50 and K-500 just been announced, and you might still find a nice deal on a K-01
06-13-2013, 05:28 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Ouch! That sucks. But look at it from the bright side - K-30 is pretty cheap now, K-50 and K-500 just been announced, and you might still find a nice deal on a K-01
Or a nice K20D with grip, charger and 2 batteries, for...$376 :-) PM me :-)
06-13-2013, 08:13 PM   #25
Forum Member

Original Poster
Yeah, they gave me a replacement price in Canadian of course. I don't know if I should be telling you guys but what the hell need your opinion on what to go for and minding I have very limited funds.

SUGGEST EXCHANGE WITH NEW
CURRENT MODELS AT SPECIAL PRICE:
K-30 BODY ONLY COLOR BLACK, WHITE OR BLUE AT $476
K-30 LENS KIT W/DA 18-55MM WR (WEATHER RESISTENT) LENS COLOR
BLACK, WHITE OR BLUE AT $584
K-30 LENS KIT W/DAL 18-135 WR (WEATHER RESISTENT) LENS COLOR
BLACK AT $784
K-50 body only color black, white or red, cost $557 ea.
K-50 body w/DAL 18-55mm WR lense, color white, black or red, cost $640 ea.
K-50 body w/DA 18-135mm WR lense, color white black or red, cost $880 ea.
PLUS S/H $10 PLUS APPLICABLE TAXES.

K5II still awaiting for the official quote
but told me over the $820 body only
Kit over a grand.
THIS OFFER VALID UNTIL END OF JUNE 2013.
06-13-2013, 08:14 PM   #26
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Or a nice K20D with grip, charger and 2 batteries, for...$376 :-) PM me :-)
Thanks but I found one in craiglist for $200 but 17k clicks on it. No grip though.
07-04-2013, 12:00 PM - 1 Like   #27
Forum Member

Original Poster
Update: Ok I broke down and ordered K5ii arrive yesterday…. Best deal I ever found and could not refuse, had a chance to get K5iis body but the kit K5ii 18-135 WR was $500 less than anywhere locally and online. Have not a chance to try it yet, but will do it soon.
07-04-2013, 05:02 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Update: Ok I broke down and ordered K5ii arrive yesterday…. Best deal I ever found and could not refuse, had a chance to get K5iis body but the kit K5ii 18-135 WR was $500 less than anywhere locally and online. Have not a chance to try it yet, but will do it soon.
Good call. Dpreview does state that the K-5 IIs is significantly more prone to moiré patterning than the base model, so it's more suited to someone who doesn't want to spend too much time in post-processing.

You'll also find that the autofocus is far faster, especially in low light. The K-5 II can quickly acquire AF locks even in super-dark conditions, situations where the K-x doesn't have a chance at focusing.

--DragonLord

Last edited by bwDraco; 07-04-2013 at 05:08 PM.
07-04-2013, 05:40 PM   #29
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DragonLord Quote
Good call. Dpreview does state that the K-5 IIs is significantly more prone to moiré patterning than the base model, so it's more suited to someone who doesn't want to spend too much time in post-processing.

You'll also find that the autofocus is far faster, especially in low light. The K-5 II can quickly acquire AF locks even in super-dark conditions, situations where the K-x doesn't have a chance at focusing.

--DragonLord
Sigh of relief, nice to know. Night photography was intension of going to more high end product and not spending the dollars and releasing my old lenses. And yes I noticed that AF on Kx has difficulty focusing, however that is history. Thanks for vote of confidence on choice of model, it makes me feel a lot better.