Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-10-2013, 11:47 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax Kx sensor wobble at long exposure setting

Pentax Kx sensor wobble at long exposure setting:
Looking for some answer whether I abandon this camera or worth it to have this repaired. Here is the link of the video to explain better of the noise that create a wobble in the sensor. https://plus.google.com/u/0/106010767597397782147/posts/44XjGpqzpoN

Problem also arise at the same token that my metering had gone weary, as all my photos taken is all under exposed. Have tried using auto program and manual setting had to compensate to get right exposure but still the colour is not as good as it used to be.

Any comments and suggestion would be appreciated, thank you.

05-10-2013, 11:52 AM   #2
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Did you turn the shake reduction off?
05-10-2013, 11:55 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Yes, I have tried reset to factory setting….
05-10-2013, 12:55 PM   #4
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Amante Quote
Yes, I have tried reset to factory setting….
I believe the factory default setting is SR on.

05-10-2013, 12:56 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Erm.. if you pause right at the beginning, it shows SR on. The little green symbol on the bottom.
05-10-2013, 01:01 PM   #6
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Erm.. if you pause right at the beginning, it shows SR on. The little green symbol on the bottom.
Good catch.
05-10-2013, 01:39 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
oh yes it is on. but as far I understood from a manual, shake reduction should disable automatically on long exposure. I had SR turned it off at one time and it still make that noise or sensor wobble. SR should not make this much noise either and only time I hear this is when I do a dust removal in setting.

Any other thought???

05-10-2013, 01:51 PM   #8
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nevertheless did you repeat the test with SR off? Never mind what it is or is not supposed to!
05-10-2013, 01:57 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
Yes I should have said many times repeated on and off and even tried different batteries.
05-10-2013, 03:15 PM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

I had a difficult time figuring out what you were trying to show in the video. Although I think I understand the problem now, I don't have any ideas what to do. However, I will paraphrase the issue as I understand you, in hopes that someone might have better insight:

The video shows a K-x which is set to a 20-second long exposure. If you listen to the recorded audio (and you will need to turn up your speakers), you can hear the SR mechanism in action. It turns out that in this video, the SR actually is turned on. But the OP indicates that he can hear the same sound even when the SR is turned off via the menu. Also, the resulting long-exposure images come out blurry, even when the camera is mounted on a sturdy tripod or table.

The video itself is shaky, but that has nothing to do with the reported problem. The OP just wants you to listen to the audio noise. The audio is not coming from the camera which is capturing the video and audio, because you can hear the sound change just when the shutter on the subject K-x is closed, and the mirror flips down at the end of the 20-second video.
05-10-2013, 04:06 PM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you, well explained. Sorry could not elavorate more in words as I am some what in multi-tasking mode in the middle of a project and sometime it easier for me to show and hope for the best. To add and have mentioned above, metering and exposure problem happened at relatively at the same time.
05-10-2013, 04:49 PM   #12
MJL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Call Pentax Canada

Sorry to say I am sure there is a problem in the PCB that causing the problems, mostly like with voltage or connections. I suggest you to call Pentax Canada in Ontario and see whether they can walk you through to pin point the cause. They can also give you a rough estimate on repair cost. If you want to save shipping to Ontario for inspection or repair, Camtex Camera Service in Vancouver is quite knowledgeable about Pentax cameras. Good luck.
05-10-2013, 05:52 PM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks I figure would have go to that route, I bought this camera second hand for good a price below the cost of repair. Just wondering putting good dollars into repairing it and does it again in the future, not sure if its worth it. Though I try to see if anyone else has same experience in this forum that would convince me stay on path with Pentax… as though I like the compatibility unlike the others and the weathered sealed units.

Thanks again for everyones input.
05-10-2013, 11:43 PM   #14
Veteran Member

stay on path with Pentax
Every brand, every camera model has issues sometimes, be it Pentax, Olympus, Nikon etc.

This is a rare fault. I've never seen or heard of it before. Generally the K-x is a very reliable little trooper. I suspect that since it was a second hand unit, there may be something in the cameras past (a physical knock or shock, or something else damaging) that you may not have been aware of before you bought the camera.
05-11-2013, 04:50 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Though I try to see if anyone else has same experience in this forum that would convince me stay on path with Pentax… as though I like the compatibility unlike the others and the weathered sealed units.
No offense, but its a K-x. How old is that camera? How many photos has it taken and where has it traveled? Unfortunately, digital cameras don't have as long a life span as older SLRs did, and even a little defect can have a big effect on the image. I know there are some people still shooting with even older digital cameras and produce amazing images, but its not that unexpected.
That being said, you can try doing things like turning SR off, using a remote timer, making sure the lens/mount contacts are clean, there isn't any dirt on the SR mechanism, even reverting to an older firmware.. Hopefully it will work out for you. You can also think about getting a cheap K-01 - it has better IQ output and might cost you less than repairing the K-x.

Last edited by Na Horuk; 05-11-2013 at 04:55 AM.