Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-11-2013, 01:19 AM   #1

Long Exposure

Hi Guys, newbie here with a K5.

I just purchased an Nuetral Density filter to get some "smooth & misty" photo's over the ocean. I read the K5 manual but couldn't see anywhere where I could set the shutter opening using the internal timer for periods of time.
I couldn't even find the section on where the timer might be or in what menu as I looked in all to no avail !

I eventually decided to set on Bulb and use menu C-3-19 set to item 1.

This was working whilst I used the iphone to time 30 or 40 or 60 secs etc, but occasionally I couldn't close the shutter again , and I noticed there was a countdown timer in the top screen !

How did I do that ?? and where did that timer come from ?? . I thought it may have been because I never had the Pentax IR , so will order a new one to try as well as a manual release , but is the same going to happen ??

Perhaps I should be setting the camera in a different mode to do this or even night shots ??

Appreciate any info you could share.

05-11-2013, 05:41 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Countdown timer - associated with slow shutter NR. If you take a long exposure, at the end (unless the function is switched off), the camera will automatically take an identical length 'dark' frame exposure, i.e. with shutter closed, which is then 'deducted' from the original exposure in order to eliminate/reduce in-camera noise.

Using the bulb setting for long exposures you either need to (a) operate the shutter button manually, or (b) use an external plug in timer.
05-11-2013, 09:57 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnX Quote
Countdown timer - associated with slow shutter NR. If you take a long exposure, at the end (unless the function is switched off), the camera will automatically take an identical length 'dark' frame exposure, i.e. with shutter closed, which is then 'deducted' from the original exposure in order to eliminate/reduce in-camera noise.

Using the bulb setting for long exposures you either need to (a) operate the shutter button manually, or (b) use an external plug in timer.
Thank You JohnX , that has unravelled the mystery of what that countdown timer was doing !!!
It was also in full sun, and quite hot there so the camera internal temp may have initiated it also. Both ISO and Shutter NR's are set to Auto.

I have ordered the external plug in shutter cable release ( CS 205 ) I assume there is something similar that has a timer function set into it also ? ( not Pentax though ? ).

Would using the Bulb setting be the only way you could take this kind of shot ?

Thanks again for your speedy reply....
05-13-2013, 08:27 AM   #4
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Glennat,
I also have the K5 and am a Light Painting photographer so long exposures are my life. When you go into your menu look for the setting for "slow shutter noise reduction" if you have this set to "ON" turn it off. For the times that you listed above for your exposures, you do not need this setting enabled. This could solve some of your issues. Just like JohX mentioned above, this makes your camera take two different images, since you are using a ND filter during daylight im assuming that you are shooting with a low ISO to begin with so there really is no need for this setting. You will find that once the shutter closes your image will pop right up vs having to wait for the image to process.

As for the Cable Release, I use a electronic release made by neewer. I think it cost $11 and it has the ability for me to set how long I want the shutter to remain open, as well I can place a timer before the shutter opens. When trying to shoot anything over a 30 sec exposure you need to move out of M mode and into blub mode, even if your using a cable release.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

05-13-2013, 11:13 AM   #5
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, just ask a question and someone clever usually comes along with right answer, but please don't include me anywhere near the clever folk.
05-13-2013, 04:06 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
Welcome to the forum, just ask a question and someone clever usually comes along with right answer, but please don't include me anywhere near the clever folk.
I'll bet after a pint or three you aren't quite so humble... Serioiusly - you hold your own in this group - but I suspect everyone learns a bit here and there on this Forum.
05-13-2013, 05:37 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sig0431 Quote
Glennat,
I also have the K5 and am a Light Painting photographer so long exposures are my life. When you go into your menu look for the setting for "slow shutter noise reduction" if you have this set to "ON" turn it off. For the times that you listed above for your exposures, you do not need this setting enabled. This could solve some of your issues. Just like JohX mentioned above, this makes your camera take two different images, since you are using a ND filter during daylight im assuming that you are shooting with a low ISO to begin with so there really is no need for this setting. You will find that once the shutter closes your image will pop right up vs having to wait for the image to process.

As for the Cable Release, I use a electronic release made by neewer. I think it cost $11 and it has the ability for me to set how long I want the shutter to remain open, as well I can place a timer before the shutter opens. When trying to shoot anything over a 30 sec exposure you need to move out of M mode and into blub mode, even if your using a cable release.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Thank you so much Sig0431 , that is brilliant info. That whole area in the manual is a little cloudy ! but you simplified it perfectly !

I will investigate that "neewer" cable release sounds just what I need , wonder why Pentax don't make one just like it to suit their camera's :/

I've seen a few "light Painting" shots, very interesting, facinating what images you can accomplish.

Thanks again
05-13-2013, 05:50 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
Thanks Kerrowdown, I will do.

I use to view the forums before I made my decision to purchase the camera ( all my mate's kept pushing Canon , but I wanted a Pentax ! soft spot from the film days ).

Its a great source of info, and everyone is very helpful towards each other, and as JimJohnson states I'm sure you would be a wealth of information