Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-11-2013, 09:28 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
K-5 suddenly stopped focusing

Was using aftermarket battery, when the camera shut off from drained battery. Put in new battery, now the k5+50-135 won't focus, just makes a noise. I can't even manual focus. The lens focuses just fine on my k-01 so I know it's not an sdm failure. Also the fact that it won't even manual focus is odd.

05-11-2013, 09:31 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChatMechant Quote
Was using aftermarket battery, when the camera shut off from drained battery. Put in new battery, now the k5+50-135 won't focus, just makes a noise. I can't even manual focus. The lens focuses just fine on my k-01 so I know it's not an sdm failure. Also the fact that it won't even manual focus is odd.
Are you setting the body to MF when trying to manual focus? (That lens may not usually need it, but do it anyway.) How about a different lens? What were you doing when it shut off from the dead battery?
05-11-2013, 10:06 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Are you setting the body to MF when trying to manual focus? (That lens may not usually need it, but do it anyway.) How about a different lens? What were you doing when it shut off from the dead battery?
Phew! Thanks for the suggestion of using the MF switch. I set the camera to MF, and back to AFS and now the autofocus works again.
05-11-2013, 10:24 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Probably died while focusing and got stuck in a weird mode...

05-11-2013, 11:13 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Phew! Thanks for the suggestion of using the MF switch. I set the camera to MF, and back to AFS and now the autofocus works again.
When I had K-r the AF pin used to stuck somewhere in between AF and MF sometimes. Nothing serious, it was enough to switch from AF to MF a time or two.
But I have never had this problem with my K5IIs.
06-13-2013, 01:46 PM   #6
Pentaxian

The same thing JUST happened to my lens. I simply switched the camera from AF.S to MF and adjusted the manual focus on the lens to bring it back in line. Whew! SDM issue averted