Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-11-2013, 05:46 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Is my SDM about to go out?

I have just got a used 50-135mm yesterday and everything was perfect. just an hour ago though i notice that there's a sorta rough bumpy sound/feel when moving the focus ring from minimum to inifinity. you can also hear it when the autofocus is doing it. strangely enough when the lens isn't attached to the camera it doesn't make the noise nor do i feel the bumps. any ideas? is this my SDM dying?

05-17-2013, 07:33 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ok so just last night I was using the lens and the focus went to minimum focus distance and then stayed there. I took it out of AF and tried it manually but the focus ring turns but doesn't change the distance scale and therefore is now stuck in minimum focus distance. is this SDM failure or is this like the whole focus thing has failed? this lens is a newer Nov 2012 bought lens which should've been fixed of the main issue of this lens in the past.
05-17-2013, 08:00 AM   #3

Photos: Albums
Try to rotate the screw drive focus with a small screw driver, hopefully it will free up the sticking gear or motor.
05-17-2013, 08:10 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sa_lontoc Quote
try to rotate the screw drive focus with a small screw driver, hopefully it will free up the sticking gear or motor.
omg this worked!!! Thank you so much!

05-17-2013, 12:25 PM   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
That's a great result.
05-17-2013, 01:21 PM   #6

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by shaolen Quote
omg this worked!!! Thank you so much!
Glad it help....I've been in the same situation before that's why I discovered that trick..