Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-13-2013, 01:26 PM   #1

Kr over exposing all the time

Hi,
I seem to have an issue with using my Sigma 150-500 and overexposing on my K-r.

It seems that virtually every RAW needs to taken down 1-1.5 stops. Attached are the JPEG from camera and the RAW which I've reduced the exposure by 1.5 (both straightened and cropped in PSE).

Just want to confirm is this is real and not my monitor or preference of how the photo should look.
If it is a real effect are there any thoughts about what I can do about it?

I'm assuming it is to do with my metering mode (although it does seem to happen on every photo, maybe when just when Im in AP though). Can anyone recommend a link to give me some detail on that?

Cheers,

Steve

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 

Last edited by superduper; 05-13-2013 at 01:35 PM.
05-13-2013, 01:56 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Take a shot with it pointed at a uniformly lit block wall. If the histogram is dead center it is fine.

What metering mode are you shooting, spot can give some interesting results, since it is only looking at a narrow section in the middle
05-13-2013, 01:59 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I don't see the info in the EXIF, but do you have any Exposure Compensation dialed in? The first shot look a hair too bright in the highlights on the duck. I would bring it down 1/2 stop. Your edited version looks too dark to me.
05-13-2013, 01:59 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The original exposure looks almost perfect on my screen. There don't seem to be any blown highlights or dark shadows. Darkening the highlights just a little bit would be sufficient IMO.

The second photo is too dark IMO.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-13-2013, 02:13 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I concur that the first photo looks good to me, the second photo is dark. What lighting do you have when you are viewing your photos? how is the brightness on the monitor? It maybe the monitor that is clipping the highlights.
05-13-2013, 02:25 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The original exposure looks almost perfect on my screen. There don't seem to be any blown highlights or dark shadows. Darkening the highlights just a little bit would be sufficient IMO.

Same here
05-13-2013, 02:29 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote

QuoteOriginally posted by theperception2008 Quote
I concur that the first photo looks good to me, the second photo is dark. What lighting do you have when you are viewing your photos? how is the brightness on the monitor? It maybe the monitor that is clipping the highlights.
QuoteOriginally posted by Ken T Quote
Same here
It may be more of the OP attempting to a preserve the highlights of the white feathers, for that he needs more dynamic range. Not sure what he can do with better PP and perhaps an S curve for adjustment of brightness and contrast.
05-13-2013, 02:38 PM   #8

Original Poster
Well it sounds like it is me or my laptop then...I've now got the brightness turned right down (it was only a couple of clicks up to start with) and I'm in dimly light room.

Here is another pair. In the top image my daughters hood has the yellow dots that are in it blown from the RAW which I have tinkered with a little on the 2nd image.

Maybe I just like the darkness! I don't think I have any exposure compensation turned on, if I do it is by accident!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 

Last edited by superduper; 05-13-2013 at 02:46 PM.
05-13-2013, 02:44 PM   #9
Moderator PEG Judges

Maybe have a think about calibrating your monitor on the laptop, it's very difficult to judge if you don't have a good starting position.
05-13-2013, 02:55 PM   #10
Veteran Member

What are your camera settings on your Kr? I usually underexpose all my photos by half a stop to save the highlights. I know that the Kr does tend to blow highlights.Try underexposing by half a stop with the lens. Maybe that will help.
05-13-2013, 02:59 PM   #11

Original Poster
I'll check out how to calibrate my monitor tomorrow, time for bed here.

Pretty sure I'm getting blown highlights on a regular basis, I see 255 / 255 /255 a lot on anything that is approaching white.

Thanks for showing an interest, much appreciated.
05-13-2013, 03:26 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Be aware that you should be looking directly at the screen. ie : line of sight perpendicular to the vertical plane of the screen.
Looking down onto the screen will appear brighter.
Looking up to the screen will appear darker.
Possibly some screen may be the other way around. With a lot of laptops the screen doesn't open up far enough to be able to view the screen at the correct angle if it's sitting on your lap.

To find the screen calibration in Windows 7 :
Go to Control Panel \ Hardware and Sound \ Display > Calibrate color.

Hope this helps.
05-13-2013, 03:35 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I think the OP has a MacBook of sorts. The OP mentioned the use of Aperture and that's only available on Mac OS. But that info is useful nonetheless when I need to work on a Windows 7 machine :-)
05-13-2013, 03:40 PM   #14
Veteran Member

This is really interesting. On my monitor, the first photo is too bright. There is no detail on the duck's feathers. Second photo though little dark shows much more details in the feathers.

May be I need to calibrate my monitor too.
05-13-2013, 03:59 PM   #15
Site Supporter

Two points .... first and foremost, is the viewing angle on your laptop monitor ALWAYS at EXACTLY the same viewing angle? Due to the polarization in LCD displays changing the viewing angle even slightly has a huge impact on contrast and perceived brightness.

Second, you should calibrate your monitor ... while there are software tools to do this, in my opinion they all do a poor job because they depend on your brain to make the interpretations. The human brain has the equivalent of AWB built in and for most of us that means our monitors do not depict color accurately. Consistent room lighting is also important. Manufacturers deliberately over saturate colors and increase contrast as the defaults so monitors look good in the average show room. I painstakingly used several software only based calibration tools and then I spent about US$100 to buy a used hardware calibration tool (Huey Pro). WOW! The change was so much that it took my eyes a couple days to adjust .... but now what I see is dang close to what I see after printing.

While my primary computer is a fairly robust notebook, while in my home office it is attached to dual identical desktop monitors that are always in the same position and calibrated to match.

For what it is worth - I agree that your processed photos are too dark. When I use a 3X magnifier on the two images of your daughter, I can see the yellow dots in both - admittedly they stand out more in the darker image. Looking at the picture, it looks like you had fairly strong light just slightly behind your daughter's left shoulder. That puts her face into shadow, so yes you will sacrifice some detail in her lightly colored hood to give her face good tone. Her jacket still pops in the lighter image, and the arm on the jacket to her right shows color and detail. This person clearly has a blue glove in the lighter picture, and almost black gloves in the darker image.