Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-13-2013, 07:35 PM   #1

New K-5 iis - from Adorama

So, I just got my K-5 iis today - thanks to my husband. This will be my first Pentax DSLR and just have a few questions after I've unpacked and inspected the camera.

1. There's this weird noise that I can hear when titling the camera from landscape to portrait, witht the camera on or off...Is
That normal?

2. The mic seal on the side of the camera was loose. I closed it tight but it keeps coming loose - like it has a mind of its own. Is that something I should worry about?

3. More like my hubby being paranoid - he was worried that there was no plastic over the live view screen...should he worry?

Anything else that I should check for?

05-13-2013, 07:41 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
1. Yes, see beginner threads about a "clunk" noise for more details
2. Sounds like a minor detail, but it shouldn't be falling out. If you can't get it to stay I would get the camera exchanged
3. Only nikons have that

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-13-2013, 07:44 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
1. Yes, that's normal with all Pentax DSLR's - it is the shake-reduction system. The sensor 'floats' in a magnetic field.

2. It is important that the mic seal closes properly for your weather sealing to be effective. Just make sure you are pressing the rubber in properly across the width of the plug.

3. A plastic cover over the rear LCD is an optional extra - I never use them, others do. But the rear LCD is covered with a very tough glass designed to resist scratches. 3rd party screen protectors are available that will fit the K-5 if you need one, however.
05-13-2013, 07:44 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Congratulations.

On #1 - that is the Shake Reduction feature. Lots of new Pentaxians ask about that sound. Typically, no worries.

On #2 - mine is tight. If it is not fully in place then Water resistance is compromised for the camera.

On #3 - there is never any plastic over the screens on new Pentax cameras. If you want to protect the top and back LCD screens then I recommend the ACMAXX screen protector kit.
http://www.acmaxx.net/pentax_k5.html

Charge your battery, place a lens, and take some photos under a variety of conditions. Use the flash. Turn from landscape to portrait and make certain the LCD display changes orientation too.

05-13-2013, 07:50 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks, guys! I love this forum! Just checked the shutter count and it's a two...took two pictures of my miniature schnauzer - he did not like it very much, and the manufacture date is January 13, 2013....huh.
05-13-2013, 07:52 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by peanutella Quote
Thanks, guys! I love this forum! Just checked the shutter count and it's a two...took two pictures of my miniature schnauzer - he did not like it very much, and the manufacture date is January 13, 2013....huh.
You've got to go in an set a few things in the menus. There are a couple of starter threads that walk you through the menu setups.

If you do keep the camera, don't forget to update the Firmware to v1.04.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/news/pentax-k-5-ii-and-k-5-iis-firmware-v104.html
05-13-2013, 08:05 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
In regard to 2, are you using an 18-135? When I had mine, it would always push the cap loose on my K-5 if I zoomed it very swiftly.(Pretty sure there's where 90% of the air in/out of the lens is allowed in)
05-13-2013, 08:27 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
You've got to go in an set a few things in the menus. There are a couple of starter threads that walk you through the menu setups.

If you do keep the camera, don't forget to update the Firmware to v1.04.
Pentax K-5 II and K-5 IIs Firmware v1.04 - Pentax News - PentaxForums.com
Definitely will be keeping this camera!!!! I think my husband is more in love with it...haha.

05-14-2013, 08:42 AM   #9
Forum Member

If you're going screen protector...

I'd be sodden with envy if I didn't have a IIs coming shortly...but you've got yours already. So I guess I'm just damp with envy or something.

If you're thinking screen protector, any one of the cell-phone ones will do fine if you're just using the screen to run the menus and take quick looks at your pix.

If you're going to be using Live View a bunch, or especially if you're going to be doing video, I put this on my K-7 and haven't regretted it for an instant:

Amazon.com: GGS Perfect HD DSLR LCD Foldable Viewfinder with 3.0x Magnification: Camera & Photo

When the hood is on and the loupe down, it's a nice magnified finder for the rear screen. When you flip the loupe up out of the way, you've got a sunshade so that you can see the screen and show it to someone else. Detach the thing entirely and the mount serves as a REALLY ROBUST screen protector.

It's a good price for what it does, but you do get what you pay for, I do have to be a little careful with the hinge and stuff because it's not exactly built out of stainless steel. Other than that, no complaints at all.
05-14-2013, 09:20 AM   #10
Veteran Member

If you want a screen to PROTECT your LCD then the ones for cel phones are just not up to the task. The ACMAXX makes it so that blows that might crack your LCD and require repair bounce off. Not that I am advocating striking your camera but accidents happen. I think $20 is cheap for proven protection to the two LCD screens and not just slapping something on them and pretending they are protected like those flimsy cell phone covers do. We've had people here that have reported their LCD screen was scratched by the camera strap - not with the ACMAXX. Anyway, enjoy your camera!
05-14-2013, 11:07 AM   #11
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
I just got my K-5 iis today
Congratulations with that, now your all good to get into the picture taking business.
05-14-2013, 05:39 PM   #12

Original Poster
Another question...in regards to the sound that I hear when tilting the camera, is it normal to still hear it with the lens attached???
05-14-2013, 06:05 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Another question...in regards to the sound that I hear when tilting the camera, is it normal to still hear it with the lens attached???
Yes. It is the sensor on a magnetic floating frame that shifts to adjust for camera shake.

These are from the K10 but the principle is the same:

Here it is in the K-5II/IIs

The K-5 II features the PENTAX-developed image-sensor-shift-type SR (Shake Reduction) mechanism compatible with all PENTAX interchangeable lenses. Using a high-sensitivity gyro sensor, it effectively compensates for even the slightest camera shake to optimize the resolving power of the high-performance image sensor. This mechanism is not only effective in low-light conditions, but also comes in handy during Live View shooting and movie recording.

It allows you to adjust fine framing using the sensor when on tripod.

This function is one of the additional benefits of the SR mechanism. When the K-5 II is mounted on a tripod, it allows you to effortlessly make minute adjustment to image composition and compensate for the camera’s tilt, by shifting the image sensor along the X and Y axes and/or rotating it. This function is particularly useful in composing an image during Live View shooting.

This sensor technology is also what allows the O-GPS1 to work:

By mounting the O-GPS1 GPS unit onto the K-5 II’s hotshoe, you can record the latitude, longitude and altitude of a shooting location, universal time, and the camera’s precise direction on a captured image. It is what allows AstroTracer to work. Coupled with the camera’s SR mechanism, this function simplifies the tracing and photographing of celestial bodies. Since the SR unit automatically rotates in synchronization with the movement of celestial bodies during extended exposures, it records all celestial bodies as solid points rather than blurry streaks, without requiring an equatorial telescope. You can even check position data and create image maps on your computer.

Last edited by Docrwm; 05-14-2013 at 06:15 PM.
05-15-2013, 01:35 PM   #14

Original Poster
Awesome! Thank you so much!
05-20-2013, 04:19 PM   #15

Original Poster
Went to a camera store in another city this past weekend, looking for a camera bag...and spotted a pentax 50mm f 1.4 lens selling for 40 bucks...now I regret not getting it.