Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-16-2013, 09:52 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
How to use old Pentax lenses on Pentax DSLRs

This should probably be a sticky...

On piece of info he did leave out, on the K-30 you have to turn AutoISO off in M mode.

05-16-2013, 09:59 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
We actually posted a similar video a couple of weeks ago on the homepage. Have you seen it?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-16-2013, 10:48 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
We actually posted a similar video a couple of weeks ago on the homepage. Have you seen it?
Pentax posted this on to Facebook...

And no, I didn't see the one here. I never go to the homepage.
05-16-2013, 02:16 PM   #4

is it valid for every pentax dslr?i mean pentax kx and pentax k5 iis have simmilar buttons?

05-16-2013, 03:20 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by deanno2010 Quote
is it valid for every pentax dslr?i mean pentax kx and pentax k5 iis have simmilar buttons?
Yes. The K-x doesn't even have to use the Geen Button. You can use the AV+- button and set the Geen Button to a different task, like Optical Preview.

The K-x Geen Button is on top of the camera rather than on the back.

BTW, welcome to the forums.
05-16-2013, 04:03 PM   #6

thanks for the reply...actually i always read this forum since 2011but i never register till today..since i have to pentax dslr..why not..anyway..this pentax forum is good..thank you for answering my question..cheers..
05-28-2013, 05:46 PM   #7

Does this work for the Kr?
05-28-2013, 07:30 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by enki042000 Quote
Does this work for the Kr?
Yes. Every Pentax DSLR, it is slightly different for some.

Here is the PentaxForums video.

05-29-2013, 09:25 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
On piece of info he did leave out, on the K-30 you have to turn AutoISO off in M mode.
I just checked, my K30 will use auto ISO and I always keep it in M mode. I also always use specific ISO, never auto...but it is available. I'm using a M42 lens right now, but it's also available with my A series 50mm and M series lenses if I remember correctly. I just don't use it...

Also switched ISO to auto to test it, panned it around and ISO switched around from 100 to 800 pointing the lens at different places in the yard. Didn't bother taking a picture, just panning it around told me it is working in auto ISO while the camera is in M mode.
05-29-2013, 02:34 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Paleo Pete Quote
I just checked, my K30 will use auto ISO and I always keep it in M mode. I also always use specific ISO, never auto...but it is available. I'm using a M42 lens right now, but it's also available with my A series 50mm and M series lenses if I remember correctly. I just don't use it...

Also switched ISO to auto to test it, panned it around and ISO switched around from 100 to 800 pointing the lens at different places in the yard. Didn't bother taking a picture, just panning it around told me it is working in auto ISO while the camera is in M mode.
AutoISO in M mode is the same thing as TAv mode. It was included in the firmware because the K-01 doesn't have TAv mode (one dial). No other Pentax cameras can have AutoISO mode turned on in M mode. It automatically turns off. This is a bug in the K-30 because the K-30 has 2 mode dials and TAv mode, you should not be able to enable AutoISO in M mode on cameras with TAv.
05-30-2013, 06:14 PM   #11
Pentaxian

OK ...Interesting...it makes sense that with Tav mode auto ISO would be disabled in M mode, no need for it if you have a separate setting for that but it does come in handy if you want it. Never thought of it from that perspective. Doesn't matter much to me, I keep it on set ISO anyway...

A bit off topic, but I used Av mode for the first time yesterday. I normally only shoot M, but windy with clouds rolling by pretty quick, lighting changing every few seconds, I actually put the K 30 on something other than M...I think that's a first...it seemed to work pretty well...
05-31-2013, 10:59 AM   #12
Site Supporter

I would hazard a guess that most folks who use modes other than M on a regular basis use Av mode most frequently. It's simply the most important setting to retain constant control of IMO.
06-01-2013, 08:49 AM   #13
Pentaxian

That's probably true. Av is the only other mode I've used, with both K-x and K30. I tried out other modes when using the "kit" lens, just to see what worked well, and usually stayed with Av until I got home and got my manual lenses, since then it's almost always M mode. On the occasional day with fast moving clouds, I might start using Av a bit more though...I can usually handle changing light conditions pretty well, but when it changes every few seconds...gotta do something...