Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-18-2013, 09:50 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Proper Mount for Tamron Adaptall-2 SP 300mm f/2.8 LD IF (60B)

Hello, I am about to get the Tamron Adaptall-2 SP 300mm f/2.8 LD IF (60B) lens to use on my K-5 but it will come without the Pentax mount.

Could someone point me to some info on which adaptall mount I need to get to mate t with my K-5? I know next to nothing about those mounts - is there more than one type, for Pentax?

Thanks a bunch,

Andy

05-18-2013, 11:22 PM   #2
Pentaxian

There are several, but for that lens the only one you really want is the P/KA mount -- the Pentax mount with electric contacts so you it will work like an 'A' lens and you can control the aperture with the body and use all metering and camera modes. This will be a genuine original Tamron item -- there are no third-party alternatives. It will cost you $65-$75 (likely). Plain PK mount will also work ($20-$25), but no contacts and it will work like a Pentax "M"-series lens -- manual mode, green-button metering. There are a few Pentax/Ricoh variants of Adaptall mounts -- KM, etc. Haven't used them, but I think they are essentially PK also -- anyone? And you can also get m42 versions.

Once you get your PKA mount, make sure it works as some of them are a bit flakey. (Make sure it reads f/2.8 when on your 60B and not f/4.) There are various threads about how to get them working properly, but some are just broken. I know of one reputable source that has some for $75 + shipping, so don't pay more than that. (PM for details.) But you can also find them on ebay and here in the marketplace for less sometimes (they usually auction on ebay at about $65 but buy it now prices are higher). And often to get a good deal you may to buy another Adaptall lens attached to it. I've managed to get a couple for less than $10 by sheer luck, but if you need it right now not likely...

Last edited by vonBaloney; 05-18-2013 at 11:27 PM.
05-19-2013, 12:38 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
There are several, but for that lens the only one you really want is the P/KA mount.....
Thank you! this is just the info I needed. I was able to find several P/KA adapters on ebay.

Also found a clear image of one

in this thread
)

I am excited about the Tamron 300/2.8 as I am going to spend June near a large forest and expect to see some interesting wildlife. Also hoping to master manual focusing enough to capture my daughter's evening softball games. I now use a Sigma 70-200/2.8 but find its reach not always sufficient.
05-19-2013, 02:01 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
vonBaloney gave some great advice and there's also a thread dedicated to Tamron Adaptall-2 gear here in the forums ... here's what mine looks like ... J

05-19-2013, 09:41 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you Jean, this helps. Such a delicate-looking adapter for such a hefty lens, wow.
05-20-2013, 01:58 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
The lens and the PK/A adapter are on their way. The lens will come with both 1.4x and 2.0x TCs, and I already have the 1.7x TC, it's going to be major fun this weekend . And then the questions will start..