Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-22-2013, 02:11 PM   #16

I do a lot of agency work (Getty, Alamy, etc) so most of my standards are geared to their needs. The first scooter photo is ok for personal (friends & family) use but probably would be rejected by most agencies. The second scooter shot is sharp at the license plate level but goes out of focus forward of the seat. It would probably be rejected by the agencies with the comment that DOF should be increased (smaller lens aperture). The remaining images would probably be acceptably sharp.

05-22-2013, 02:29 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by twostroke Quote
Here's a similar f2.8 shot.A little less sharp then the 5.6 one ?
Same develop settings as the previous shots, focussed on the red heart

http://www.twostroke.be/pics/2.8.jpg

Lightroom zoomed screenshot (2:1)
http://www.twostroke.be/pics/lr.jpg
The F2.8 shot looks reasonably sharp for F2.8. You can make out the fiber texture in the blue weave below. The green bead immediately left of the heart has good texture shown. I would not be terribly unhappy with such a shot. Was the hood on?
05-22-2013, 03:17 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here's a similar f2.8 shot.A little less sharp then the 5.6 one ? Same develop settings as the previous shots, focussed on the red heart http://www.twostroke.be/pics/2.8.jpg Lightroom zoomed screenshot (2:1) http://www.twostroke.be/pics/lr.jpg
Are you sure its focused on the heart? Because from that photo it looks like its focused on the white bead with pink dots, above the heart, or the translucent blue bead next to the white bead. And look at the blue rug beneath the bracelet. Thats sharp! You can see individual threads. But its slightly behind the red heart. The problem you have in this photo is very shallow DoF and slight misfocusing. If you used AF, its very possible that the centre point simply chose the blue rug for its focus, rather than the red heart. The AF point is much bigger than the little red overlay in the viewfinder, and it doesn't recognize objects the way we humans do. It looks for contrasts and details, and the rug has a lot more of that than the heart.
Also, don't look at the photos at anything higher than 1:1. All photos look like crap if you enlarge them beyond the normal size. You should only use that for selective touchup, like if you are using the brush tool and want to clone out some dust.

Last edited by Na Horuk; 05-22-2013 at 03:26 PM.
05-23-2013, 12:48 AM   #19
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Filter off it is then!
It's back in the packaging and will only come out when I'm near the ocean/beach
That's great, the way you taken on board the advice so quickly, remember to use lens hoods.

05-23-2013, 01:34 AM   #20

Original Poster
I manually focussed on the heart using live view at 10x, but then again, the misfocus can be a human error (me!)

In other news: I'm planning to do some AF finetuning with a focus chart.

Thanks for the help guys! Gotta love the Pentax family
05-23-2013, 05:17 AM   #21
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I manually focussed on the heart using live view at 10x, but then again, the misfocus can be a human error (me!)

In other news: I'm planning to do some AF finetuning with a focus chart.

Thanks for the help guys! Gotta love the Pentax family
I think you are more likely to mess up the focus on the Tamron. Your shots at 5.6 are very sharp for a zoom lens. If you used AF you cannot get any sharper than that at that aperture with a consumer grade lens.

I suggest that for technique you make sure your AF point is where you want it, ideally using the spot. Meter off matrix, spot focus and recompose.

And any photographer will tell you that if you want sharp...use a tripod.
05-23-2013, 05:23 AM   #22

Original Poster
I'm using a tripod.
Just wanted to find out if my lens was faulty or if this was 'sharp enough'.

Thanks guys!