Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-21-2013, 03:07 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Dropped my lens. Need help figuring out the problem.

Yesterday I dropped my SMC Pentax-M 50mm 1.7 on my kitchen floor.
It fell about four feet. From the outside it looks perfectly fine. The only problem is the focus ring is now extremely difficult to turn. That seems to be the only problem. I'm thinking of taking it apart but before I do I'd like to know if anyone has any theories as to what exactly is wrong with it.

Thanks!

05-21-2013, 04:17 PM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Probably a dented piece of lens barrel. Check to see for any marks on the outside of the lens that might suggest where the lens impacted the floor.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-21-2013, 04:24 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
The floor is a laminate, so it's not that hard. There are no marks on the lens whatsoever.
05-21-2013, 05:02 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
I think there is a high probability that Adam is correct. There likely isn't so much a dent as a deformed lens barrel. It doesn't have to be much out of round to create extra drag when turning the focus ring. This is especially probable the further the lens was away from infinity when it hit the floor.