Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-23-2013, 10:32 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
AF problem with KX

Hello,

This morning i was distraught to find that my AF system is not working. It was working 2 weeks ago. Then, i have been using rokinon manual lens. Today, i switched back to 300mm lens. To my surprise, right after i turn on the camera.. it was asking me for focal length (like it used to ask for rokinon), then it was showing MF on the screen (no matter i switch in to AF), i tried cleaning the contacts, changed to my kit lens.. but nothing worked.. it is showing MF and every time i switch on the camera asking for Focal length. Is it busted for good ?

Thanks...

05-23-2013, 11:26 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
I have trouble thinking your use of a manual lens caused this. With the lens off, press your lens release button in and out. You should see both the lens locking pin and the AF drive pin retract and extend. Now repeat the process with the MF/AF switch and watch the AF drive pin. If the AF drive pin is extending properly, then clean the lens mount and contacts again - and finally, make sure you have a fresh set of batteries.
05-24-2013, 03:07 AM   #3

Original Poster
Today it is working on its own.. i didn't do anything. Also, i used to have this issue with battery status. Even under full charge.. camera used to show yellow, now it is showing green. Does KX has any self healing abilities ? because it is weird
05-24-2013, 04:30 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mourya Quote
Today it is working on its own.. i didn't do anything. Also, i used to have this issue with battery status. Even under full charge.. camera used to show yellow, now it is showing green. Does KX has any self healing abilities ? because it is weird
This makes me suspect your issue was battery related. What kind of AA battery are you using? How many times have they been recharged? Many batteries will recover some when you stop sucking power out of them. I can't remember the exact explanation, but believe it has to do with heat building up and slowing the chemical conversion that takes place.

05-24-2013, 05:31 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Does KX has any self healing abilities ?
Yes.
It is a very special little camera. Self-healing is just one of it's capabilities.

Also: eneloops + K-x = camera happiness.
05-24-2013, 06:08 AM   #6

Original Poster
I am using 2900mAh Ni-MH batteries. I might have recharged them for.. say 40-50 times atleast. They don't long much.. may be 300-400 shots (with some flashes). Yesterday, i was able to take manual shots with flash.. i thought the battery is fine. Today, i charged them for an hour.. may be that did the trick.. not sure.. have to wait and see btw tomorrow i am going out to shoot some pink flamingos. Hope it wont die on me
05-24-2013, 12:50 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I am using 2900mAh Ni-MH batteries. I might have recharged them for.. say 40-50 times atleast. They don't long much.. may be 300-400 shots (with some flashes). Yesterday, i was able to take manual shots with flash.. i thought the battery is fine. Today, i charged them for an hour.. may be that did the trick.. not sure.. have to wait and see btw tomorrow i am going out to shoot some pink flamingos. Hope it wont die on me
I used eneloops in my K-r and now in my K-30. All NiMh batteries self-discharge when sitting on the shelf, but with eneloops this takes a MUCH longer time - like over a year. They also seem to sustain a longer continuous power drain. For those of us who can use AA batteries in our cameras, you will find post after post after post in Pentax Forums proclaiming them to be the best.

It also makes a difference as to what kind of charger you use. The best is one that charges each cell individually - - - if you have to charge batteries in pairs, you aren't doing individual cell charging. And if the charger doesn't automatically detect full charge and stop charging - run, don't walk to your trash bin and insert the charger. This type of charger will dramatically shorten the life of your batteries.