Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-24-2013, 07:27 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Converting Camera for Infrared Photography

I just ordered a K30, and with 2 K20Ds, both in excellent condition and low shutter counts, I was thinking that I really don't need both. Initially I thought about listing one of them. But, then I thought it might be nice just to convert one of them so that it can do infrared photography.

I assume it would be a fine camera for that. Does anyone have any good suggestions for where to get it converted and how much it runs? My searches here show very mixed reviews for places, so I am not really sure where might be a good place, that, hopefully, isn't too pricey.

Thanks

Steve

Last edited by Spodeworld; 05-24-2013 at 07:46 AM.
05-24-2013, 07:46 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

If you search the forum here for 'infrared conversion' you'll find a bunch of threads. It's an attractive idea, for sure.
05-24-2013, 08:35 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
There used to be a step by step instruction with photo's on how to convert a Pentax *istDS DIY, but I can't find the link anymore
05-24-2013, 08:57 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks TER-OR, I did, but it seemed in every thread there was always some issue with the 'converter.'

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
If you search the forum here for 'infrared conversion' you'll find a bunch of threads. It's an attractive idea, for sure.

05-24-2013, 09:18 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I had Spenser Camera (Spencers Camera & Photo Digital Camera Infrared (IR) Conversions, Modifications and IR Photography :: Welcome) convert my K110D for about $250 and the work is incredible.

Having converted a P&S myself, I realized that it was critical to get a Pro to convert the DSLR because of the need to reset the focus aspects of the camera. While they normally check focus from ~ 28-100mm, I also sent along my DA14mm to insure that it was appopriately focused. Please feel free to check out my recent images in the IR forum. The clarity is truly nifty. The false color (with a 720nm filter) is a bit disappointing...
05-24-2013, 09:29 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, the word 'converter' is going to show up a lot!

it would be very interesting to do this, though I think I'd want a camera with more sensitivity than the K-10 I have. Perhaps when it's time to upgrade from the K-5, I'll send it for conversion.

I wonder if anyone is doing this with cameras for astrophotography, I don't know if there's any advantage - though the AA filter removal would certainly be advantageous.