Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-25-2013, 07:16 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Can't take out my flash

Recently I've bought a K-5 and a Metz 44-AF. And yesterday I was to a concert, and make some pictures. And I can't take out the flash from the camera. Previously, I've used this flash on may old K-r, and the other flash I have, a Sigma 530, on this K-5. And never had this problem.

It is rotating a little, but it did not want to move out not even a fraction.

Help!! Please.

05-25-2013, 07:32 AM   #2
Site Supporter

If you mean you cannot remove the flash from the camera then make sure the locking knob is turned all the way up to release the locking pin. I had this happen on my k-5, very frustrating as it looked like it was all the way up but it was not. Another turn or so and the flash came right off.

There is a locking pin that goes into a hole in the top of the camera and unless it is fully retracted the flash will not come off.
05-25-2013, 07:43 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thank you Jatrax, but for sure, in less than a week, I wasn't able to read all that 385pages from that manual, and I don't know where is that locking knob on the camera.

Maybe is the locking knob on the flash. I had turn it left and right, all the way, and nothing hapens.

Last edited by JimmyDranox; 05-25-2013 at 08:24 AM.
05-25-2013, 08:57 AM   #4
Veteran Member

The locking knob on the flash also lowers a small pin into a slot on the camera hot shoe as a security measure. When you go to remove the flash, if you don't return the knob all the way to the release position, the pin will not retract, causing the problem you are having. Make sure you turn it all the way until it stops to release the pin. You may have to turn it somewhat forcefully. If that doesn't work, try turning a quarter turn at a time from all the way left to all the way right, trying the flash each time. You should find a point where the pin retracts.

05-25-2013, 09:10 AM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JimmyDranox Quote
Maybe is the locking knob on the flash. I had turn it left and right, all the way, and nothing hapens.
Yes, I am talking about the locking knob on the flash. Make sure the flash is pushed all the way into the shoe then turn the locking knob all the way up so it is tight to the flash and as far away from the camera as possible. Then try to remove. If you have tried to pull the flash off without the pin retracted it may be wedged against the slot and stuck in the down position. So a little wiggling might help but only with the knob all the way up.

It took me awhile but I eventually got my Metz 48 off and once I looked and understood how the little pin works I've not had a problem again.
05-25-2013, 09:15 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Jimmy, the locking screw is on the very bottom of the flash and it rotates up and down to secure the flash to the camera hot shoe. When rotated down it locks a pin in place to secure the flash to the camera and when you wish to remove the flash you must rotate the locking screw upward which raises the pin and allows the flash to slide out from the hot shoe. Looking at this pic you can see the locking screw.
Attached Images

05-25-2013, 09:23 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Not a chance, in any way, with all the force, or gentleness. Finally, i think that I have to dismantle the flash.

PS. I see the knob, moving up and down, but no result.
05-25-2013, 01:03 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Finally, succes. I raised that knob with a small screw driver all the way up, and the flash came out.

Thanks to you all for your advices.

05-26-2013, 10:54 AM   #9
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Glad you got the problem resolved at last and without damage.