Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-27-2013, 05:08 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How did i do this?????

Now... If I can only get them ALL to look this good...

K5 IIs
43mm
AWB +2 amber
f4
1/100
200 ISO
0 exposure bias
Aperture priority
Natural light

Very little post work.

About 5 feet from my model, shot inside a gazebo, mostly sunny, blue and nice white puffy clouds...

I guess this is why some studio photographer's work looks so good because they can control the lighting 100%...

But I am damn proud of this one...

Last edited by ChuckB28; 05-20-2014 at 10:06 AM.
05-27-2013, 07:16 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter

You didn't spot meter or use face-detect? However done, it is excellent - but it would be good to know so it can be a common event!
05-27-2013, 08:00 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
and a beautiful model, too!
05-27-2013, 01:20 PM - 1 Like   #4
Moderator PEG Judges

QuoteOriginally posted by ChuckB28 Quote
Now... If I can only get them ALL to look this good...
With a little care and practice you can, great shot btw.

05-27-2013, 02:47 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
To me the success of this one is 100% influenced by the subject.
05-27-2013, 05:05 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks guys!
05-27-2013, 06:38 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Terrific shot, and thanks for the 'behind the scenes' info about the settings.

If I may make one slight critique. Perhaps next time crouch down a little to bring your eye/camera into the same plane as the model. This is especially valid for photographing children. It avoids the 'eyes up' look which is evident here. (In this case it would probably also have eliminated the handrail of the gazebo. However, it may have brought some other element into the background... impossible to say)

I'm not trying to be controversial or offensive here, just helpful. My 2c worth, (as my American friends say)
05-27-2013, 06:58 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Very nice shot!

05-28-2013, 07:50 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Although the "eyes up" look does seem to work pretty well here, I agree with wizofoz. Nice shot, well done.

I also think the indirect lighting may have helped a lot. Bright, direct sunshine is often not a good thing, especially with models. I often get better shots of birds and flowers under indirect lighting or cloudy days.

As with anything else, the way to get it more often is to always remember the 3 P's...

Practice

Practice

Practice
05-28-2013, 08:49 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wizofoz Quote
This is especially valid for photographing children. It avoids the 'eyes up' look which is evident here.
I like it, and the model is just fantastic. I however agree about the eyes up, either ecagerate it or avoid it.

Also, if you want to improve even more, try to find a way to light up the hair just a tad. Either change the position a bit so the Sun lights it up (tricky here), use a reflector or an exxternal flash.

It's really a great picture, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with it, far from that. 'm giving advice I'm not sure I could really put in application but it's what I noticed.
05-29-2013, 07:51 AM   #11
Pentaxian

The model is in 'open shade'. She's lit by light coming off the sky and not direct sunlight, so you end up with a nice and soft light source. It is also fairly directional and coming from camera right, but you still have some fill coming from the left so the contrast is fairly low. Check out the reflections in her eyes- you have a large bright light source camera right and a large dimmer light camera left, this sort of setup is generally pretty pleasing for portraits.

The blown out spots in background are a little distracting given how much brighter they are then your model. I'd also consider giving more room above her head at the top of the frame, or going the other way and cropping down maybe midway between the top of her head and her hairline. Either of these options will look more decisive but will give fairly different looks.

Nice capture though!