Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-27-2013, 11:12 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Using D-BC90 charger abroad

I have a quick question: I'm going to Israel for two weeks, and I was hoping that someone can confirm that I can use the standard D-BC90 charger
without a 220-110 voltage transformer (I know that I will need a plug adaptor).

Thanks!

05-27-2013, 11:39 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My K-5 (bought online via B&H in NY) charger works fine here in South Africa on 220v 50Hz. I don't foresee any issues. Almost all new power supply devices are fully compatible with 110v 60Hz and 220v 50 Hz
05-27-2013, 11:52 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Veteran Member

Just like legal and medical advice, don't take random advice on electrical safety from the Internet....

Take your D-BC90, flip it over.

Then, try to remember where you put your reading glasses. Got them? No, that's your sunglasses, the other pair...maybe in your car...or coat...or the gerontologists office...

Ah, you found them. Now, put on reading glasses - they go on the nose...

Realize that your reading-glasses aren't enough, go hunt for a really strong loupe.

Then, turn on some really bright reading-light.

Realize that you still can't read what's written on the darn D-BC90, and call for the neighbors 20-something punk-kid, who's home to get his laundry done.

Have the punk-kid neighbor read the label on the flip-side of the D-BC90. Darn brat can do so without glasses, grumble. If he says that it says 100-240V 50-60Hz, you'll just need to figure out if a punk-kid can be trusted...

In other words, it'll be written on the charger what voltages and frequencies it'll work with. It'll be written in Really Small, though.

My D-BC90 works fine in both Europe and in the 110V countries of the world.
05-27-2013, 12:01 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tclausen Quote
Just like legal and medical advice, don't take random advice on electrical safety from the Internet....

Then, try to remember where you put your reading glasses. Got them? No, that's your sunglasses, the other pair...maybe in your car...or coat...or the gerontologists office...

Realize that your reading-glasses aren't enough, go hunt for a really strong loupe.

Realize that you still can't read what's written on the darn D-BC90, and call for the neighbors 20-something punk-kid, who's home to get his laundry done.

Have the punk-kid neighbor read the label on the flip-side of the D-BC90. Darn brat can do so without glasses, grumble. If he says that it says 100-240V 50-60Hz, you'll just need to figure out if a punk-kid can be trusted...

In other words, it'll be written on the charger what voltages and frequencies it'll work with. It'll be written in Really Small, though.

LOL, thanks I needed the smile this morning.

05-27-2013, 01:28 PM   #5
Pentaxian

By far the funniest read today!
05-27-2013, 04:36 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster

... My D-BC90 works fine in both Europe and in the 110V countries of the world.
It's not the 20-something punk I don't trust, it's the really small writing on the back of the charger ( and yes - I did need my reading glasses to read them ).

Years ago, I forgot to attach the transformer to the charger of my Sony battery while in Paris and the battery exploded (sort of). Apparently cheap plastic battery chargers have improved since then (or maybe the batteries are less finicky). In any case, thanks for the confirmation.
05-27-2013, 04:37 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by KevinR Quote
My K-5 (bought online via B&H in NY) charger works fine here in South Africa on 220v 50Hz. I don't foresee any issues. Almost all new power supply devices are fully compatible with 110v 60Hz and 220v 50 Hz
Thanks!
05-27-2013, 04:42 PM   #8
klh
Site Supporter

Sounds very familiar. I've been playing the trombone some myself.

So how did the get that print so small anyway?