Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-28-2013, 09:42 PM   #16
Forum Member

Original Poster
I attached another photo which describes the issue pretty well: even the in-focus part of the image looks murky and hazy. Close focusing is sharper but as soon as the distance increases, it gets hazy. I don't think it is solely a focus issue maual or any of the auto focus modes make a difference. Has anybody ever heard about the sensor getting stuck (since it is moving during shake reduction) in a certain position?

The crop is from an image shot with the 35mm macro limited, the picture should be very sharp even at the 2.8f i shot this at.

Thank you all for your great input! I will still try and rest to factory defaults and do a firmware flash.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
05-28-2013, 10:24 PM   #17
Veteran Member

That's not the greatest target nor good light. Also 1/40 second handheld isn't always gonna be rock-solid if you are doing tests without a tripod - you will get some blur...

I also have to ask about your image processing and shooting: are you shooting full-size 16MP images and are your camera JPG settings maximum 4 Star quality? Do you have any Custom Image Settings defined that may be toning down your sharpness and contrast? Are you shooting in a Scene mode? And how are you processing your output on the computer? All these may also be factors worth looking into.

Speaking of the above, after running EXIFTOOL over the image above, it shows that your custom image Contrast settings are set to "Low" and your Sharpness is set to "Soft". Plus you have your Exposure Compensation' level set to [-2]. I think these in-camera settings may be a big part of your problem.
05-29-2013, 09:08 AM   #18
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
That's not the greatest target nor good light. Also 1/40 second handheld isn't always gonna be rock-solid if you are doing tests without a tripod - you will get some blur...

I also have to ask about your image processing and shooting: are you shooting full-size 16MP images and are your camera JPG settings maximum 4 Star quality? Do you have any Custom Image Settings defined that may be toning down your sharpness and contrast? Are you shooting in a Scene mode? And how are you processing your output on the computer? All these may also be factors worth looking into.

Speaking of the above, after running EXIFTOOL over the image above, it shows that your custom image Contrast settings are set to "Low" and your Sharpness is set to "Soft". Plus you have your Exposure Compensation' level set to [-2]. I think these in-camera settings may be a big part of your problem.

You are right, the shooting settings weren't good but the picture shows exactly my sharpness issue. Close or macro focusing seems to be alright, although not as sharp as it used to be. The distance focus is where the problem becomes very apparent.

I will send it in and update as I get a diagnosis from Pentax.
05-29-2013, 11:38 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
go to NR settings, maybe somehow you turned it on hight setting?

06-20-2013, 04:33 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Roadrunnerdeluxe Quote
Hi all,

I had a not so nice surprise two days ago when almost all my images form that day turned out to be not only out of focus but almost more hazy and noisy. There is no clear in-focus area visible, hazy really is the right word to describe it. I tried two different lenses, a 35MM 2.8 Limited and a Sigma 70MM macro, tried focus adjustment, to no avail. Please take a look at the attached file, taken with the Pentax 35mm Limited macro. At 5.6 this picture should be razor sharp, focus was right on the face of the squirrel. Unfortunately it is hard to tell at this image size.

This doesn't seem to be a back or front focus issue. Would a camera develop those issues over time? I've had this K5 for 2.5 years now.

Any input is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Do you have the AF Point set to AUTO? If so, turn that off. Your focusing could be off because the camera, as usual, is selecting the wrong thing to focus on.
02-18-2017, 01:08 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi Roadrunnerdeluxe,

Although it is 2017, I hope you will read this because my K5 has started doing exactly the same. After sharp in-focus pictures everything suddenly seems hazy now as if photographed through a veil. I have tried my 3 lenses (Pentax 55-300, Sigma 18-250, Pentax macro 100), AF and MF, tried back and front focus adjustment, resetting to factory settings, etc pp. I am now also thinking it might be the sensor but am frankly at my wit's end.

If you have had any success in resolving this issue, I would love to know how, as your thread seems to be the only one with exactly the same problem.

Keeping fingers crossed for a reply and hoping your K5's problem got sorted!

Doris