Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-29-2013, 04:51 AM - 2 Likes   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gjstringer Quote
i agree totally with what everyone is saying, i don't believe i am anywhere near capable of doing a professional job, i will try again to decline but the groom and bride to be are so inisistant that i do the pictures i don't know what to do, i have suggested a pro photographer and i will do some secondry photos but they declined, i advised i only dabble in product photography and they said they love my photos, i did the picture above and they liked it that much they both said i should do the photo's. as much as i try and don't want to do the shoot i am backed into a corner evberytime, i have tried for a week to get them to reconsider but they are insistant i do the pictures. i don't have the first clue really of wedding photography and i am really appreciative of the advice but what can i do when they are so insistant? its not as if they can't afford it as the groom is very wealthy but they want me to do the picture with her son, who is my best friend. so i am in a compromising position i can't seem to get out of, however much i try
Serious suggestion: take a ski trip (fictive or real) and break a limb or two . Even if you break the limbs for real, it'll be an awful lot less than what the bride will do to you if you muck up the wedding photography. Or, even if you don't muck it up, but just somehow fall short of (unrealistic) expectations. Angry brides are not to be taken lightly...

I've said it before, being a wedding photographer is much much more dangerous than being an alligator proctologist who's just run out of anesthetics.....

05-29-2013, 05:53 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tclausen Quote
I've said it before, being a wedding photographer is much much more dangerous than being an alligator proctologist who's just run out of anesthetics.....
BWAHAHAH ! Awesome image
05-29-2013, 07:33 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If they are really your friends then they will understand that this is making you uncomfortable, will stop pressuring you, and will find another option. If they won't stop pressuring you then they aren't really your friends, or are at least are not the kind of people that I would want as friends.
05-29-2013, 09:17 AM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by gjstringer Quote
i don't really want to ruin the day, so can anyone suggest any decent lenses or offer any advice.
Hi Gary,
A good resource for free learning is creativeLIVE: Learn photography and more for FREE - they broadcast a lot of photographic related courses for free. I've watched a few for free and also purchased a couple for 'anytime' re-viewing. The various presenters are top notch. Right now, there is a wedding photography course on. Look at their calendar and see when they will have a course of interest to you. They also re-broadcast most of them at least once after the live event. Then you have yo buy a course to be able to re-view at any time.

05-29-2013, 01:50 PM   #20

Hi Gary,

my bit of advice is not to walk but run away from this!! You might get some nice shots but I can tell you from being the bride and not hiring someone with more experience that I didn't get the photos that you see all over the web, ect. . That being said, a photographer was something that we could not afford to hire for my wedding day, I had my older sister take pictures. so I do also have a special memory of that it was my big sister taking the photos(there was lots of laughter that day). In fact it was her that help me catch this photography bug that has since been draining my savings account due to LBA. In fact, as we are learning our cameras more and more together we shake our head at how little we really did know about photography( and still do). Now from the photographer's point of view, I did take pictures of my first and only ever wedding last summer, it was for my brother, this was just a small redneck wedding, out at their hunting cabin, I did manage to get a few nice shots but it was very few in my opinion, the bride was thrilled with them of course, but if you do decide to go ahead and try and do this, please realize a few things, you will not enjoy the ceremony, or any of the associated festivites, because you will be too busy planning your shots, trying to take photographs, ect. Now for some advice, I found the local library a great source of information for books on wedding photography, some good ones are out there for different posing ideas ect. Creative Live is awesome! I have watched several of their courses. Good luck with the 50, I am assuming manual focus, my only word of advice with that one is practice practice practice. People are not an stationary object and have no patience for sitting waiting while you are trying to focus in your lens manually. Wishing you all the best of luck

Faye
05-29-2013, 02:10 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ya, run, and run away fast! BTW: Have a peep at the video...

05-29-2013, 02:17 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Too funny, can't never get enough of that video:

Judge Brown: What F-Stop Did You Use
Clueless Photography Services (defendants): We Used A Tri-Pod

Love this "Epic Beatdown From Judge Joe Brown"...
05-29-2013, 02:53 PM   #23

Wow, more people need to watch this video!

05-29-2013, 03:56 PM   #24
Pentaxian

BWAHAHAHA ! Awesome !
05-30-2013, 01:25 AM   #25
Moderator PEG Judges

more dangerous than being an alligator proctologist who's just run out of anesthetics.....
The depth of your knowledge on matters un photography related, never ceases to amaze me.
05-30-2013, 03:45 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
The depth of your knowledge on matters un photography related, never ceases to amaze me.
Oh, I cant dazzle you with photography-related matters, and eaglem already courts you with roses.....so I have to amaze you with what I've got
05-30-2013, 04:03 PM   #27
Moderator PEG Judges

so I have to amaze you with what I've got
Good one.
05-30-2013, 05:53 PM - 1 Like   #28
Veteran Member

Okay. I am a wedding photographer. As everyone said - you need to decline.

Don't get me wrong, everyone starts somewhere. But starting into wedding and event photography begins with not being the primary shooter at a wedding. Be a back up or an assistant or just start shadowing a pro. You need to learn the pacing of events, how to take pictures of people in action, low light photography, flash, posing, and so much more. You have to have a back up camera body. You have to have back up everything! When I shoot weddings I have back up cameras, lenses, flashes, etc. All of this doesn't cover what the bride and grooms expectations are.

You don't have the money to get the gear and that is okay. It usually takes a while. You also don't have the time to learn everything that you need to do. So tell the couple this: you researched it and you are not ready to primary shoot a wedding. Tell them that you want to celebrate their wedding with them and that you can't enjoy the wedding if you are working. Tell them that you are happy to take some shots, but that this is an event that really calls for a professional.

If weddings are something you want to do one day, then learn how to do it. But this is just not the right way to get into it.
05-31-2013, 02:38 PM   #29

QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
Ya, run, and run away fast! BTW: Have a peep at the video...

Judge Joe Brown - Cheap wedding photographer - YouTube
That video is hilarious. Shooting a wedding with a kit lens and no flash.. haha.. wow. Even a amateur should have been able to answer those questions. That "photographer" didn't count on the judge having any knowledge on photography.
05-31-2013, 06:13 PM   #30
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jaywes Quote
That video is hilarious. Shooting a wedding with a kit lens and no flash.. haha.. wow. Even a amateur should have been able to answer those questions. That "photographer" didn't count on the judge having any knowledge on photography.
I think you underrate what can be done with a basic camera and kit lens. Cameras take pictures, and photographers create images. But that doesn't mean any professional wedding photographer wants to be confined by such equipment.