Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-28-2013, 01:51 AM   #1

Wedding Photos

Hi All i hope someone can help me.

i recently purchased the K100D with a kit lens about 6 months ago and i usually do still lifes for a blog i run, but somehow i have landed the job of doing the photos at my mates mothers wedding as she has seen some of my still life pictures and really likes them.

the problem is i don't have the first clue of wedding photography, is it even possible with this camera?

i have advised my friends mother that firstly i am not a proffessional photographer, secondly i don't want to ruin her big days pictures and to get a professional to do it ads lastly that i don't know anything about wedidng photography, but even after this she won't take no for an answer and is insistant i do the photos.

i don't really want to ruin the day, so can anyone suggest any decent lenses or offer any advice.

I can only afford 2nd hand lenses at under £100 which i gather won't buy the quality i need, but its all i can afford at the moment.

please b e aware that i don't have much experience with lenses apart from the kit lens, and have only played with the camera really.

i did a little experimenting yesterday and these are the pictures i have been able to create, remember i am a newbie to this sort of photography

kind regards

Gary

Attached Images

05-28-2013, 10:59 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
New equipment might help a little but it will not solve all your problems. Since there's no budget for it anyway, ignore it for the moment.

You need to know as much as possible in advance to make plans. What kind of ceremony and where, reception location, how many people, what are the plans for the day. What photos does the bride expect? Then you can make a plan to take all those shots. For example, visit the location where the ceremony will be and see what the light is like and where you can shoot from. If you're going to take formal shots of the wedding party, where will that happen and how long will you have? If you know the script for the day and your script, all you have to do then is take pictures at the right time. Larger, elaborate weddings require some people management skills to get your shots.

See if you can tag along on any visit to the locations, or visit there yourself, especially at the same time as the wedding will happen. That will allow you to take some practice shots to measure the light. You are trying to narrow down the details that you have to think about on the day itself. Ideally you'd have the couple stand in where the ceremony will happen, wearing similar colors, in the same light that you'll have later. Take some shots and see what happens. You need the couple framed, in focus, enough shutter speed to freeze motion, and enough ISO to make those settings work. Just try to get some advance data, knowing something about what you'll do later. Some other research will help. Even other wedding albums will give you an idea of the shots to take.

Back to equipment, the camera doesn't seem that great by today's standards but was impossible technology just a few years ago. I think you can make it work. The limitations are:
  • You can't crop a photo a lot and still make a big print.
  • Autofocus is slow, especially in low light.
  • ISO can't go that high without some noise.
  • Rapid-fire sequences are limited.
You can work around those with some skill. For example, focusing well on the couple at the ceremony, then turning off autofocus so the camera doesn't try again for every shot. Then just before they move again, turn AF back on. Cropping is all about framing the shot correctly. The ISO isn't a problem in bright light, but can be an issue in low light. You'll have to live with that one, just make sure your histogram shows a good exposure for processing later. And plan on capturing the right moment, not lots of shots of almost the right moment.

At your budget, I might buy a flash instead of a lens. The flash will help out when the light is just too low for anything else. It will also have its own learning curve. If you have the time to practice, a flash is worth it. When dancing starts at the reception, the dim lights and motion make shooting without a flash really tough.

If you really want a lens, you can take some excellent portraits with a fast manual focus 50mm, such as a Pentax-A 50mm f1.7. Again, there's a learning curve, because you have to be good at focusing.
05-28-2013, 12:21 PM   #3

Original Poster
Wedding photo

Hi Dave

i have a little experience with flash bouncing as i use a home made light box, i know the ceremony will be held at the same registry office as my friend got married in last year.

the problem as you have mentioned is the variables such as lighting, i will visit the venue as much as i can as you suggested.

in my favour is that the wedding will only have a maximum of 30 people there which i know already.

this camera is primarily only for still lifes which it is what i purchased it for, i know it has limitations and i have explained these, but some people who don't use cameras that often don't understand what can make or break a photo, to be honest i don't see myself as that good yet, but i am still learning and this can take years to perfect.

i do also have in my favour a friend who is going to help me, he does filming and photography so he is going to get me used to the camera more, i have advised the groom that i may have to rent a camera for the day, but again i don't know what i am looking for.

would it be better to buy a new camera? as the groom if i am persusive enough is very well off.

i just think the problem is the bride to be is just getting used to his wealthy ways lol, which is why i think she asked me to do the pictures as i wouldn't ask for anything in return, whereas he would spend thousands

kind regards

Gary
05-28-2013, 12:22 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Just1MoreDave has given you EXCELLENT advice.

New equipment does not magically confer wedding photography expertise. Indeed, shooting your first wedding is probably the worst time to be acquainting yourself with the ins and outs of recently acquired gear.

05-28-2013, 12:40 PM   #5

Original Poster
Wedding photo

Hi All

i apreciate all he advice, thankyou very much.

i do have 4 months to get used to any new equipment may have to purchase, i am not looking to do anything but ia good job on the day, i have purchased a training course to do wedding photography today to help me out.

something within me is wanting to accept the challenge with th camera and see what i can do.

if i remember rightly when my friend got married around the same time last year, the phtographer used a lighting ring would this worth looking at or even possible to purchase for the K100D.

kind regards

gary
05-28-2013, 04:41 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
The pictures you posted are not even remotely close to an acceptable standard coming from someone who is going to photograph a wedding. Sorry to be brutally honest, but you have a massive curve to climb. I would gracefully bow out now as you have neither the equipment or ability (judging by those 2 photos) to be shooting any event, let alone a wedding.
I totally agree, but the women in the photo is the person who wants me to do the pictures and she likes them for some unknown reason. i have tried to bow out but she won't take no as an answer.
05-28-2013, 04:55 PM   #7
Forum Member

As someone who bombed their first event, and someone who wishes to this day I had hired out a photographer on my own wedding day--- I would try to be a backup photographer at as many weddings as you can before the big day. Show her the photos and tell her you will be the back up photographer, and help her get those personal candid shots she is craving.
Just my thoughts.

05-28-2013, 05:25 PM   #8

Original Poster
wedding photo

Thankyou for your suggestion, these are my sntiments exactly, i have tried this unfortunately to no avail.

i have a few other shots from what i normally do if they might help someone point me in the right direction of what i may be doing wrong with my photography, which may help me
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
FinePix S1730  Photo     
05-29-2013, 01:39 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I stumbled upon this video
last night. It's a full-blown self-taught
professional wedding photographer explaining his work, his business, pricing, how he handles clients,
what he offers and delivers etc.

There's a lot of material about how to get new business and how to organize your off-camera time efficiently,
but the real gems are his tips on how to get good shots at the ceremony and the party.

I'm throwing this in just to show that some people subconsciously expect/hope for this pro level of performance
from an inexperienced photographer they get for free. It's a minefield of misaligned expectations and
you risk messing up a friendship if you deliver under their unspoken or withheld expectations.

I would personally abstain fiercely.

Regards,
--Anders.
05-29-2013, 01:43 AM   #10
Veteran Member

i agree with asp and twitch, you should decline the offer now because it's going to be a real mess for you : you won't meet the expectation, they won't pay you, and it's going to be war ...

There is some story like yours from time to time and we often see that as a result.

The long version : Note : i don't intend to be rude, but realistic)

A wedding is a very unique, and exceptional day. This day is going to be THE day for the bride and groom but also for all the guest. This day is going the be one of the most cherish memories of the bride and groom. This day is going to be magic, and in the futur when they will think about it, even if they divorced, fight, or anything, they will remember why they were in love, and why they decided at the time to mary each other. With the born of a child, a wedding is the most important day of a life.

This day is going to be magical and the picture have to reflect that ! Pictures have to show the love and the magic, and the uniqueness (does this word exist ?) of the day, how special it is to everyone of them.

Remember the bride and groom wants picture of them on the altar of course, but they will want picture of every guest that is going to be there, even if they don't say it. They want it, they want to see picture that show memories, a story, a unique and special day.

Producing picture is a part of the job, but you will have to select them, to print them, probably do some 20*30cm prints to just show them (and of course, to sell them). Can you master tecnique enought in 4 months to be able to do that ? Just know, that some photographer take few years to jump in the wedding photography business, to make sure then can do everything to make sure this day is going the be the best and not the worst for the bride and groom.

Technical part : have you ever taken pictures in a church ? What do you do if there is no light and flash is not allowed (some priest refuse it) ? What do you do if your K100D fails ? Like no more battery, the shutter s up, or get stuck ? Do you have any second body ? No ? how much will it cost to get one ? And the lens you will absolutely need for the work ? will All this expense be covered by the paycheck at the end ? What if you can't deliver the pictures ? etc ...

You probably want to do it, because you think you are capable of doing it. All right, just realize that people that are pro and do that for living have experience in photography, at least, in events, and so on. Photography is a full time job from clicking the shutter to post processing, chosing prints, make them print, and showing it to bride and groom.

So my piece of advice, politely decline, saying you did you home work, and the project is way to big for you. they should take a pro photographer, that will make sure the picture of this moment will be absolutely amazing and magic.

Last and personal note : friends of mine decide to be DJ in clubs, that particularly do electro music in Paris. Six months ago they did their first "scene" in a club, here, in Paris, in France. It was on a boat, a houseboat. They asked me to do some snapshot because they know i like to do some pictures. I accepted because it was supposed to be snapshots.

Three days before during a chat i discovered they were hopping more than just snapshots, but some high grade photo, and i would be paid for this. You see, from snapshots for free, it became pro grade picture for money which means obligation of results in some way.

I had to skip a class or two at university, when on the houseboat to check the place, try my gear, prepare myself to what i was going to face. The houseboat was rated for 100 people meaning i could move a bit around people, have some space to frame, and so on.

The day, there was more than 200 peoples, moving was a hell, i didn't have any room to frame. Many people mean less light on each one : all my guesstimate setting was false. I had to use my widest lens all time : the 18-55 @ f3.5 @18mm, iso had to be bumped to 4000 to 6400 (i couldn't use flash people were to close to me, burning their face 99% of the time).

My backup was a film camera with 3200 iso film B&W and 1600 iso color film.

It's was hell, i ain't succeed as much as i hoped. Ok, let's admit it i failed at some parts. Now, for the sakes of everyone, they know i do snapshots and i won't do that work again : i ain't equipped for that, and i doon't have the skills for that.

So my piece of advice, politely decline, saying you did you home work, and the project is way to big for you. they should take a pro photographer, that will make sure the picture of this moment will be absolutely amazing and magic.

Last edited by aurele; 05-29-2013 at 02:28 AM.
05-29-2013, 02:30 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Check Montman pictures on the forum, he's a wedding photographer and do some astonishing pictures.

from his website : this is what is expected from a technical point of view, for a wedding photog ... i don't know if i have the right to put the link to a professional website here ... i PM the link to you.

Last edited by aurele; 05-29-2013 at 02:36 AM.
05-29-2013, 02:55 AM   #12

Original Poster
i agree totally with what everyone is saying, i don't believe i am anywhere near capable of doing a professional job, i will try again to decline but the groom and bride to be are so inisistant that i do the pictures i don't know what to do, i have suggested a pro photographer and i will do some secondry photos but they declined, i advised i only dabble in product photography and they said they love my photos, i did the picture above and they liked it that much they both said i should do the photo's. as much as i try and don't want to do the shoot i am backed into a corner evberytime, i have tried for a week to get them to reconsider but they are insistant i do the pictures. i don't have the first clue really of wedding photography and i am really appreciative of the advice but what can i do when they are so insistant? its not as if they can't afford it as the groom is very wealthy but they want me to do the picture with her son, who is my best friend. so i am in a compromising position i can't seem to get out of, however much i try
05-29-2013, 03:08 AM   #13

Original Poster
wedding photo

i personally think the photos i did when i started this thread are alright but nothing special, but they seem to like the pictures for some unknown reason.

whatever i do to get out of this situation seems to fail, i did originally book aphotography course to learn how to use dslrs properly and my blog is coming to the point where i need to take some decent photos so i was going to use it for that, but this course does have a opton to do wedding photography so i will have to use it, and try and get as much practice in as possible.

as i am stuck in a awkward situation can anyone suggest what size lenses i may need to purchase, i know about the light and i am working on that, but if i get a venue where flash can't be used i need a back up.

do know of a professional photography who i will see if i can, he does stock photography for banks and other high rate companies but he lives miles away and may be able to help, i have seen his work and it is really good but i don't really know him apart from him being the husband of my girlfriends friend.

i did as just1moredave suggested and purchased a 50mm lens for £40 and am currently searching for a flash

he did do his own party pictures when we went to their birthday party last year in a pub.

i did purchase a 50mm lens as just1moredave suggested and am looking for a flash, but will i need anymore lenses as this will mean i only have a 50mm, a kit 18-55mm and a flash eventually.

Last edited by gjstringer; 05-29-2013 at 03:17 AM. Reason: additional info
05-29-2013, 03:25 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You know declining is the right thing to do. Just tell them firmly no. If they keep talking, just stay on no. Tell them the decision is final and not open to discussion. You will have to be very direct, leave 0 room for misunderstanding.

The reason you are having trouble saying no is that in your heart, you want to do it. It is a mistake, as many have pointed out. You have asked for advise and received a somewhat unanimous reply.
05-29-2013, 03:35 AM   #15

Original Poster
weddin photo

QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
You know declining is the right thing to do. Just tell them firmly no. If they keep talking, just stay on no. Tell them the decision is final and not open to discussion. You will have to be very direct, leave 0 room for misunderstanding.

The reason you are having trouble saying no is that in your heart, you want to do it. It is a mistake, as many have pointed out. You have asked for advise and received a somewhat unanimous reply.
kozlok i think you are indeed correct, as much as i want to help them out i am not cut out for this kind of photography nor do i ever think i might be in the future, i do still lifes and thats it, i will be more firm thankyou