Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-02-2013, 12:57 AM   #31

Hi guys,

I've been lurking around here for a few months, but I decided to make an account because of the responses in this thread.

1) Your photos are GNARLY my friend! But you sound like a good sport, a good guy, and honest with yourself and with others. I'm really only making this overhashed comment to set up for #2...

2) I totally disagree with all the comments in this thread recommending that you step down. I couldn't think of any worse thing for you to do.

Look guys - the bride likes gjstringer's photography. More importantly, the bride likes gjstringer. There is a cherished relationship here, and not only is the woman proud to have you photograph at her wedding, she's proud to support your efforts. Your blog means something to her. She will absolutely love whatever you end up doing for her at the wedding.

In fact, seeing your photos and then reading your story tugged a little on this concrete heart of mine. This is beautiful. This is art. This is the most precious kind - one that involves a personal gesture. She will see a magic in your wedding photos that no one else can see. The last thing she wants is some fancy hoity toity professional photographer. And that is the bottom line.

Make the bride happy.

06-02-2013, 12:59 AM   #32

Can't edit because I'm new, but I wanted to get this in there - She loves what you do bro. All she's asking for is your time and effort. Nothing more.
06-02-2013, 01:26 AM   #33
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Seppatown Quote
the bride likes gjstringer
I have seen perfectly good friendships fall apart, for the doing of "favour" like this.
06-02-2013, 01:34 AM   #34

QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
I have seen perfectly good friendships fall apart, for the doing of "favour" like this.
I'm pretty sure this situation here is different from what most on the site are used to. It's safe to say that the bride has never seen a professional wedding album up close. The sight of such a thing would probably just make her feel uncomfortable and out of place.

What the OP has described and shown resembles more of an intimate, homey sort of affair. She just wants her friend to be there for her.

An ugly duckling to you could be cute as a button to her. We all have different needs and expectations.

06-02-2013, 02:20 AM   #35
Veteran Member

TS, u must be nuts to even have the slightest consideration to shoot their wedding...
I've shot for 2-3 years now, and I still consider my shots are simple snapshots and nothing more..
Even my wife says that I'm crazy because I seem to set my standards too high for myself.

Had offers up to US$1500 to shoot and I still decline... Drives my wife nuts because I've declined like 15 wedding offers. Why?
Because I never had the chance to "try" in a sense that is; second shooter..

Really, turn it down..
06-02-2013, 03:07 AM   #36
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would only offer to shoot it free of charge as a backup, with absolutely no responsibility taken for the quality of the results. That way you can relax a bit and enjoy the wedding, and maybe add something to the photographic results.

If they want more from you, run a mile.
06-02-2013, 05:37 AM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
What the OP has described and shown resembles more of an intimate, homey sort of affair. She just wants her friend to be there for her.
Yes, that is what my sister said about her first wedding. In fact the wedding took place in a home. I'm not saying this would happen with the original poster, but photography wise, the best thing that happened with my sister's wedding was the divorce. The photos simply went away.

My sister hired a professional wedding photographer when she re-married. She loved my candid photos that supplemented the pro's photos. And that's what should have happened the first time around too. Formal portraiture has always been a struggle for me.

06-02-2013, 05:52 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm pretty sure this situation here is different from what most on the site are used to. It's safe to say that the bride has never seen a professional wedding album up close. The sight of such a thing would probably just make her feel uncomfortable and out of place.

An ugly duckling to you could be cute as a button to her. We all have different needs and expectations.
Sorry, i'm gonna be brutal but it must be stated clearly i think :

You think your story is different than the whole bunch we have all seen. Don't you think that if you see the same thing happen everytime in the exact same order, with a hope that the same action will produce different consequences, is ... insanity, madness, or something like this.

The bride SHOULD take a look at some pictures made by some pro wedding photographer : she have the right to not like it, of course, but she has to know what pictures taken by a pro looks like.
Then she could make an educated choice : she will know the different option, she could do a choice, and never look back and think "i should have done it differently", like in Jim example !

A Wedding is the most important moment in a life, with a birth and a death. Does she really want to take the risk of not getting good pictures of that day ?

More important : a wedding photog will know what pictures are THE picture that every client would like to have.

Anyway : she want her friend around at the wedding ? of course, but is it really friendly to ask someone you really like to work on such a day ? For such day everyone should be stress free, including the guest, the bride, the groom, the family.
To me, it's not friendly at all to ask a person you like to be stressed during such a beautiful day. And don't tell me it won't be stressful, the OP will have some stress just at least for herself, to do something that the OP find good enough.

We all have different needs and expectation, of course, no one deny that, all we say is : Don't say Yes, and push the bride to do things right for everyone : find a photographer, so everyone can enjoy that day, and the picture that will come after.
06-02-2013, 06:27 AM   #39

Original Poster
wedding phots

all your advice and opinions are all appreciated thankyou, i have spoken to the bride and we came to a compromise, she has emphasised prefusely she doesn't want professional photos done as she only wants a few snaps doing, so instead i persuaded them to get a few family members involved, take pictures and chose the best photos from all the photos taken on the day. i said i would do some photos but this takes the pressue of me somewhat and also because she was so disappointed that i wouldn't take the pictures solely.

after explaining equipment, variable such as lighting issues etc and after processing she understood that it is a whole lot of work, but she seemed delighted at my idea of having a selection of people take different picture and she would have numerous picture to chose from.

just a question though peeps i have purchased a Pentax SMC M 50mm 1.2 which is going to require some manual photography, and i also purchased a tamron tele zoom CF 80-210 F3.8-4 ADAPTALL 2 BBAR MC which both seem to be good glass to use and with some good reviews and pics, but can anyone suggest any other good glass to purchase?

i have a budget of 50-60 per lens, i was looking at the vivitar series 1 but i have beeen advised i need the version 3 or F2.8 versions or lower.
06-02-2013, 06:42 AM   #40
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Now the pressure is off, I reckon you're set. The fast 50 will be great with a bit of practice.
Enjoy the wedding.
06-02-2013, 07:33 AM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gjstringer Quote
all your advice and opinions are all appreciated thankyou, i have spoken to the bride and we came to a compromise, she has emphasised prefusely she doesn't want professional photos done as she only wants a few snaps doing, so instead i persuaded them to get a few family members involved, take pictures and chose the best photos from all the photos taken on the day. i said i would do some photos but this takes the pressue of me somewhat and also because she was so disappointed that i wouldn't take the pictures solely.

after explaining equipment, variable such as lighting issues etc and after processing she understood that it is a whole lot of work, but she seemed delighted at my idea of having a selection of people take different picture and she would have numerous picture to chose from.

just a question though peeps i have purchased a Pentax SMC M 50mm 1.2 which is going to require some manual photography, and i also purchased a tamron tele zoom CF 80-210 F3.8-4 ADAPTALL 2 BBAR MC which both seem to be good glass to use and with some good reviews and pics, but can anyone suggest any other good glass to purchase?

i have a budget of 50-60 per lens, i was looking at the vivitar series 1 but i have beeen advised i need the version 3 or F2.8 versions or lower.
That's a good idea! But hey, let's "up" the game on your side, invest in a good manual flash, like the Yongnuo 560iii, and learn off shoe flash..
06-02-2013, 07:55 AM   #42

Original Poster
wedding photos

thankyou sync guy for your help, i just checked out your suggestion for flash and for £47 on amazon it looks really goos, it also gets some awesome reviews all over the place. little gem as some might say
06-02-2013, 07:10 PM   #43
Veteran Member

No problem.. It's better to get the Yongnuo 560iii (Version 3) if it comes with the free transmitter as stated on the manufacturer's site:

Yongnuo YN560III YN 560 III Ultra-long-range wireless flash Speedlite For Pentax | Yongnuo Store

Do drop them an email to confirm if they will provide the free RF-602 transmitter for you first. Because if they do, that will mean that you will just need to put on the transmitter on hotshoe and just fire the flash away, off-shoe!

In comparison, the Yongnuo-560ii (Version 2) will need you to purchase a separate pair of wireless trigger and that will mean higher cost, and having to manage batteries for the transmitter, receiver and flash, whereas you would just need to manage the batteries for the flash and transmitter only for the Yongnuo-560iii (Version 3).

Last edited by SyncGuy; 06-02-2013 at 07:17 PM.
06-02-2013, 09:23 PM   #44

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
I think you underrate what can be done with a basic camera and kit lens. Cameras take pictures, and photographers create images. But that doesn't mean any professional wedding photographer wants to be confined by such equipment.
This is true but in the many weddings I've frequented, the event, location, diverse shooting lighting doesn't lend itself to even the possibilty of using a kit lens.
06-02-2013, 10:57 PM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SyncGuy Quote
No problem.. It's better to get the Yongnuo 560iii (Version 3) if it comes with the free transmitter as stated on the manufacturer's site:

Yongnuo YN560III YN 560 III Ultra-long-range wireless flash Speedlite For Pentax | Yongnuo Store

Do drop them an email to confirm if they will provide the free RF-602 transmitter for you first. Because if they do, that will mean that you will just need to put on the transmitter on hotshoe and just fire the flash away, off-shoe!

In comparison, the Yongnuo-560ii (Version 2) will need you to purchase a separate pair of wireless trigger and that will mean higher cost, and having to manage batteries for the transmitter, receiver and flash, whereas you would just need to manage the batteries for the flash and transmitter only for the Yongnuo-560iii (Version 3).
I do not think RF-602 is included in the package with the purchase of YN-560III