Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-28-2013, 04:53 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Flashes

Is there a hot shoe adapter I can use for old flashes thyristors on my K30 ?

05-28-2013, 05:47 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Something is not worded quite right in your question?

If you are asking about using an existing auto thyristor flash on your K-30, you should be able to do that without any adapter if the voltage is reasonable (and it probably is, if it is an auto thyristor flash unit).
05-28-2013, 06:02 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I appreciate the response, I purchased some older flashes If I understand corrctly the voltage from the hotshoe on my K30 is different, I am a beginner and trying to find out how to use the thyristor and or older flash units I bought. I was told by a friend I need some adapters and I'm trying to find out what would be best ?
05-28-2013, 06:10 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I don't even understand if there is a difference between a flash and a thyristor. I do know I need better flash capabilities and picked up in an auction A pentax AF 160as , 160 and a 160s, also vivtar 5200 thyristor, vivtar 3500, and a promaster 5200 and need to know if and how I can get them working with my K30 ?Sorry I'm new to this but want to learn.

05-28-2013, 06:14 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I have a bunch of Hana hot shoe adaptwr/triggers. I got them because they got a universal sync port and so I could adapt my Pentax flashes for wireless with elinchrom triggers.

The bonus is that I can also use any flashgun on any camera now because of it. I just slide the hot shoe adapter onto my k5, throw the flash of choice up top and then use the sync cable to link the bottom and top of the adapter together and there we go! Of course whatever you use will be in full manual mode in this case.

The adapted are cheap top. The Camera Store in Calgary sells them. Good online store/ shouldn't have an issue finding them.
05-28-2013, 06:56 AM   #6

The problem with older flashes is, that their voltages on the connectors can be very high and therefore damage the camera electronics. The adapter you are looking for needs to bring these down to secure voltages (usually <=5V). -> "Protective Circuit" or similar should be in the description.
05-28-2013, 07:20 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by delegopa Quote
The problem with older flashes is, that their voltages on the connectors can be very high and therefore damage the camera electronics. The adapter you are looking for needs to bring these down to secure voltages (usually <=5V). -> "Protective Circuit" or similar should be in the description.
Thank you !

05-28-2013, 07:27 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
This link Photo Strobe Trigger Voltages lists many popular flashes' trigger voltages. If your flash isn't listed you can check it yourself with a digital VOM (volt ohm meter) which can be bought at Lowe's, etc, for about $20. I've read that the old analog meters aren't suitable for this; probably load the flash too much. It would seem that Pentax is safe up to about 6 volts, but I'd check with Pentax to be sure.
05-28-2013, 10:10 AM   #9
Veteran Member

According to comments in the database, the legacy Pentax flashes that you mentioned should work okay:
Flashes (Genuine Pentax - Legacy) - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

But to be sure, the trigger voltage is very easy to check. Just put a digital voltmeter/multimeter on the center pin and the ground pin.

I have a Wein Safe-Sync which is very popular/common. Some PF members have pointed out that this gizmo is kinda not worth it, because it costs about $40 and you can buy some newer flash units that don't have TTL, but do have more power, more manual settings, more auto settings, etc. for not too much more money. I was in a similar situation as you, with a small pile of old flash units, and I didn't want them to go to waste, so I got the Safe-Sync and use it all the time. To me it was worth it.

Another idea. You can also buy some cheap optical triggers that mount on the flash hotshoe, for off-camera flash. I bought a couple Adorama house-brand units for like $12 each. They mount on the hotshoe and will fire the unit in response to another flash. Most of those are rated to handle a high-voltage flash. Mixing P-TTL and optical slaves doesn't work well but if you are shooting in full manual, then having some extra optical triggers can be fun. If you do decide to get some optical triggers, I suggest getting the cheapest ones you can find, because a dedicated optical slave flash can be found for pretty cheap as well.
05-28-2013, 10:16 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I really appreciate your time and response, I have also been doing tons of research on this and have found just exactly what you just explained ! I will give them a try when I receive them they were all mailed out today (the flashes). I'm going to also try out some of the triggers. Thanks Again !