Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-29-2013, 06:31 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
SD Card Help for Pentax k20 (and others for later reference)

Hello guys, i'm going to photograph a big event this weekend and i only have a 4gb kingston card and two 2gb kingston cards..

so i want to buy a new card, but i've looked around, maybe i didn't look good enough on the manual, but i can't find it anywhere
the max capability for a given camera model

whats the max card size a k20d can get? and class?
i know it takes SD and sdhc, there's SDHC for 32gb, will it work?...

whats the best class/max size card i can get for the k20d?
and if you can help, if you know the max sizes for other cameras and max speed/class, please report bellow for later reference

Thank you for your time replying this thread

*update*

i use this card, but the 4gb version
http://www.alientech.pt/product_info.php?cPath=213_309&products_id=11139

im thinking of buying this 16gb version because from what i have , this kingston is the best i ever used.

but for just two more euros i can get this one --->
http://www.alientech.pt/product_info.php?cPath=213_309&products_id=20882

(the site is portuguese but the descriptions are in english)

Last edited by Akarak; 05-29-2013 at 06:40 AM.
05-29-2013, 06:49 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Related question. I'm using a K-x. Using a Sandisk Ultra micro SDHC 32Gb card in an SD adaptor, I find the card unreliable in that some, say 1 in 4 or 5, images fail to write correctly to the card. I want to use a micro card so I can transfer later photos to an Android tablet while on the road. Any ideas? I'm pretty sure the K-x manual states the the camera can go to 32Gb memory cards. I'm on my second Ultra card with same result, so I don't think a dodgy card is the answer. Have tried formatting in camera and a full format in the pc with no change in outcome.
05-29-2013, 06:49 AM   #3
Emperor and Senpai

QuoteOriginally posted by Akarak Quote
Hello guys, i'm going to photograph a big event this weekend and i only have a 4gb kingston card and two 2gb kingston cards..

so i want to buy a new card, but i've looked around, maybe i didn't look good enough on the manual, but i can't find it anywhere
the max capability for a given camera model

whats the max card size a k20d can get? and class?
i know it takes SD and sdhc, there's SDHC for 32gb, will it work?...

whats the best class/max size card i can get for the k20d?
and if you can help, if you know the max sizes for other cameras and max speed/class, please report bellow for later reference

Thank you for your time replying this thread

*update*

i use this card, but the 4gb version
Kingston Secure Digital Card 16GB AlienTech - Loja Inform

im thinking of buying this 16gb version because from what i have , this kingston is the best i ever used.

but for just two more euros i can get this one --->
KINGSTON SECURE DIGITAL CARD ULTIMATE HIGHT CAPACITY 16GB AlienTech - Loja Inform

(the site is portuguese but the descriptions are in english)
K20D Memory Card Compatibility | Pentax Support is what I foudn for what has been tested, but I would get 2 or 3 16gb Sandisk cards and be done with it.
05-29-2013, 06:51 AM   #4
Emperor and Senpai

QuoteOriginally posted by southlander Quote
Related question. I'm using a K-x. Using a Sandisk Ultra micro SDHC 32Gb card in an SD adaptor, I find the card unreliable in that some, say 1 in 4 or 5, images fail to write correctly to the card. I want to use a micro card so I can transfer later photos to an Android tablet while on the road. Any ideas? I'm pretty sure the K-x manual states the the camera can go to 32Gb memory cards. I'm on my second Ultra card with same result, so I don't think a dodgy card is the answer. Have tried formatting in camera and a full format in the pc with no change in outcome.
Use a full size card. The micro ones actually have lower sustained read and write speeds. Transfer them to the micro one via a card reader and a normal computer later on.

05-29-2013, 06:53 AM   #5
Veteran Member

The records indicate that it will take SDHC cards because firmware v1.04 states "Improved stability of recording image for some SDHC Memory card."

Earlier models had trouble with anything larger than 16gb as I recall.
05-29-2013, 08:07 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
K20D Memory Card Compatibility | Pentax Support is what I foudn for what has been tested, but I would get 2 or 3 16gb Sandisk cards and be done with it.

Thank you sir, unfortunaly there's no mention on the 32gb cards, even though a google search found me some feedback on the k20d and 32gb cards.

again, thank you
05-29-2013, 08:12 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Thank you sir, unfortunaly there's no mention on the 32gb cards, even though a google search found me some feedback on the k20d and 32gb cards.

again, thank you
I try not to use anything larger than 16gb because they are cheaper and when cards get too big older cameras run into more trouble with the cards in my experience. Also, if you damage, loose, or whatever a large card you have lost all your photos. 16's in the camera and grip and 8's in the bag for me.
05-29-2013, 08:15 AM   #8

Original Poster
good point, 16gb then.. hehehe the class 10 16gb for 14 eur or the 16gb class 4 for 11 ?....

(sandisk)

05-29-2013, 08:28 AM   #9
Emperor and Senpai

Go with class 10. You get faster read and write, so pulling them off of the camera will take less time.
05-29-2013, 08:31 AM   #10
Veteran Member

good point, 16gb then.. hehehe the class 10 16gb for 14 eur or the 16gb class 4 for 11 ?....

(sandisk)
You will want Class 10 if you do any bursts or video at all. The cost is not enough to buy the Class 4, seriously.
05-29-2013, 08:56 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

If it makes you more comfortable, I just formatted a Sandisk 32GB UHS-1 card in my k20d and proceeded to shoot and view a dozen pics. It works fine but the k20d being slower than my K-5 does not usually get the fastest cards.
05-29-2013, 09:06 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Perfect timing on this thread, I'm doing a location shoot and I've run out of space. I was just about to ask the same question. Thanks everyone.
05-29-2013, 09:37 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
If it makes you more comfortable, I just formatted a Sandisk 32GB UHS-1 card in my k20d and proceeded to shoot and view a dozen pics. It works fine but the k20d being slower than my K-5 does not usually get the fastest cards.
Good to know, field use trumps white papers every time.
05-29-2013, 09:57 AM   #14

Eggs in one basket

My suggestion is not too big a card, fast enough for the job.

My reasons are these, the k20 interface will only go upto a certain speed, a faster chip will not improve things. Also the memories only have a certain number of writes per cell before failure. Some sectors that contain the FAT will be written almost every time. Also I started to use a big chip 16G but the K20 was taking a long time to check it out each time it starts up. I have now reverted back to the 4G and have several of them.
05-29-2013, 02:43 PM   #15
Site Supporter

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/207280-sdhc-card-t...d-results.html