Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-30-2013, 08:58 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Yashica Mat - Shutter is dead (a piece broke :( ) Where to buy a new shutter unit ?

Hello everyone,

Few months ago i bought a Yashica Mat LM, for almost nothing.

I did a test roll that showed some problem shutter.

I open it up few days ago and discover that a piece is broken preventing the shutter to work for slow speed and high speed beyond 1/125. I also discover some piece are so used, and one as a crack in it

Anyway, you got it, the shutter is diying.

Do you know if those are still made somewhere ? Because i couldn't find any on the web

Should i do some frankestien-isation : finding an old rangefinder and try to transplant the mecanical part in my Yashica ?

Or last, create a Bellow for the lens and make some sort of tilt shift lens for 135mm ? I like this idea, but lettint die my yashica break a little bit my heart too .

What to do, what to do ? choice, choice, choice ... damn it !

05-30-2013, 09:09 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Before you do anything irreversible check with a qualified repair man/woman/person. While Altlanta Georgia USA is a looooooog way from Paris this gentleman may be able to suggest good people in France: http://markhama.com/ He worked on the Yashica assembly line. The YashicaMat is a nice box, best if it could be fixed, instead of parting it out.

I noticed at the bottom of his site some words from a happy customer in Paris....

Last edited by grhazelton; 05-30-2013 at 09:10 AM. Reason: Added info
05-30-2013, 09:21 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
considering the general state of the mechnaics, i think other parts will fail soon. That's why i think getting a shutter is probably a better and simpler idea.

Can the Copal shutter in Yashica Mat could be #00 size ?
05-30-2013, 12:50 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
PM sent

05-31-2013, 08:56 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
Hello everyone,

Few months ago i bought a Yashica Mat LM, for almost nothing.

I did a test roll that showed some problem shutter.

I open it up few days ago and discover that a piece is broken preventing the shutter to work for slow speed and high speed beyond 1/125. I also discover some piece are so used, and one as a crack in it

Anyway, you got it, the shutter is diying.

Do you know if those are still made somewhere ? Because i couldn't find any on the web

Should i do some frankestien-isation : finding an old rangefinder and try to transplant the mecanical part in my Yashica ?

Or last, create a Bellow for the lens and make some sort of tilt shift lens for 135mm ? I like this idea, but lettint die my yashica break a little bit my heart too .

What to do, what to do ? choice, choice, choice ... damn it !
Salut Aurele
J'ai un obturateur de Mat 124: le bloc complet avec mécanisme de diaph, si c'est le même que celui du LM ça ne te coutera que les frais de port.
Par contre il est gommé (fréquent sur ce type de materiel) si ça peut te dépanner...

Bernard
05-31-2013, 09:10 AM   #6
Veteran Member

A second vote for Mr Mark Hama from me - http://markhama.com/. He worked on my Yashica and did a very good job.

If you only need a part, you might want to get in touch with him... he might have the part and be willing to help out.
Otherwise, maybe you can find a parts donor on the on-line actions... especially since other parts are about to break as well.
06-01-2013, 02:40 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bernard Quote
Salut Aurele
J'ai un obturateur de Mat 124: le bloc complet avec mécanisme de diaph, si c'est le même que celui du LM ça ne te coutera que les frais de port.
Par contre il est gommé (fréquent sur ce type de materiel) si ça peut te dépanner...

Bernard
Wahou ! Ca semble vraiment parfait comme proposition !

Je vais faire mes devoirs et vérifier que les deux sont compatibles, mais ca me semble etre vraiment une très bonne proposition. Merci beaucoup !

@Mr Newt : many parts seem close to break, and i will have, at some point, have to change almost the whole mechanics...

The good news is that Bernard, the previous poster, offer me a yashica mat 124 shutter unit for just the shipping fees. I'll chek if both are compatible and if yes, i'll do the "transplantation" of the new shutter in the old body !

I really love this community : everyone is always ready to help ! That's'so amazing

Thanks everyone !
06-01-2013, 06:41 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bernard Quote
Salut Aurele

Bernard
J'ai vérifié et dans les Yashica, tout est interchangeable ou presque. donc je vais accepter ton offre ! regarde tes MP.