Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-30-2013, 11:17 AM   #1

Sos, pentax q update help?

hi i'm new to this forum, and i can't seem to find any past threads on the subject!

just bought a Pentax Q (love it!), and i'm trying to update the version but having no success so far. really don't know where i'm going wrong, i'm following the instructions to a T.

Here's where i downloaded the firmware from,

Latest PENTAX Q Firmware Update : Software Downloads | PENTAX RICOH IMAGING

currently my firmware version info says:

Camera: VER: 1.00
Lens: 01 standard prime ver: 1.01

i'm using a mac.

so far what i've done is download the file:

1) double clicked the Zip, to get the folder, and dragged that into my sd card, not into any folder in the card..
2) that failed so i put whole zip file in. still didn't work.
3) then tried to put the zip file into a folder present in the sd card (the usual DCMI etc etc)
4) didn't work, then tried putting the extracted folder into the folder present in the card.

am i doing something wrong??? really feeling very idiotic now, would appreciate any help on this matter. ): thanks in advance!

05-30-2013, 11:27 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Starting from basics, you did download the correct file, i.e. for a Mac?

Is the SD card write protected?

You did follow the instructions from Pentax as to how to do the firmware upgrade? (One of your comments - 3 - suggests you didn't, otherwise you wouldn't have a DCIM folder).
05-30-2013, 11:28 AM   #3

Original Poster
yes i did!
05-30-2013, 11:30 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You have to copy over the. BIN file only. Make sure it gets extracted.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-30-2013, 11:31 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You said you dragged a folder onto the card. There should be a file in that folder, put that directly onto the card.

Edit: Ah well, Adam...
05-30-2013, 11:31 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You should copy the files directly onto the card. The files should not be in a folder on the card. The card should have nothing else on it but the update file "fwdxxxx.bin".
05-30-2013, 11:34 AM   #7

Original Poster
Hi all, thanks for the help, i just deleted the camera's DCMI file, and put the extract Bin file into the empty card and presto it works!

05-30-2013, 11:37 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Congratulations. And it looks like you have the update for the 01 lens already installed too.