Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-31-2013, 06:08 AM   #16

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
This is how you should have the flash set when using triggers. When you have the off/on switch set to wireless, that is for using the flash in wireless mode being fired by the on-board flash - no triggers. You want the off/on switch to be on the normal "on" position and set to manual as you said you did in this post.

When you have the switch set to wireless on the flash, it is looking for a flash signal from the camera through the sensor - not through the shoe pins. The cactus triggers are sending a signal through the shoe pin.
Thanks Stormtech, that confirmation from you really helps. Its exciting to go into the world of flash and triggers first time

05-31-2013, 06:12 AM   #17
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by voyager13 Quote
No worries mate All good. All that back and forth has helped me immensley to sort my wireless trigger experience
In that video, he demos the Yongnuo flashes but uses the Cactus V5. I wonder how his flash is going off by just pressing the test button on the Tx!(and he's a Pentax user too!)
Well... I don't want to look like a fool, but... am I the only one not seeing the Cactuses in the video? I didn't watch the entire 6 minutes, but watched it around the 5 minute mark and he's just holding a bare flash in his hands and talking.... no transmitters anywhere.
Anyway - when I come home tomorrow, I'll try to fire it off via Test button and see whether it works with my flash or not.
05-31-2013, 06:17 AM   #18

Original Poster
Happyman, I have no idea why that video is showing, I must've copied the wrong address (though I never saw that video before!) My apologies.
Here's the link, after pressing the test button on the Tx, he says 'there we go...'
05-31-2013, 08:07 PM   #19
Pentaxian

1. Moved the ON-OFF switch all the way to the right to ON. (In the previous post, that button was in the middle, which denotes wireless)
That's correct.

2. After doing that, it takes me to the P-TTL mode, but than I change it to Manual mode and now I can change the intensity down till 1/32.
Yes, switching to Manual mode makes the most sense, as you want to have control over the power.

Though the flash fires everytime sitting on the Cactus, the Cactus transmitter sitting on my camera is still not able to fire the flash when the 'test' button is pressed. It still gives an orange light on doing that but doesn't fire the flash.
The test button of the V5 on the camera should be able to fire the flash.

The test button, like a shutter release button, senses two levels of press.
1. A light press makes the LEDs turn orange. This is for testing communication (e.g., channel settings) and for initiating AF, if you use the V5 as a camera trigger.
2. A full press makes the LEDs turn green. This will fire the flash (or take a picture if you use the V5 as a camera trigger).

If you cannot make the LED light up green on the V5 on your camera, your V5 may have a defective test button.
In this case, try swapping the V5 units, reversing their transmitter and receiver roles.

A good set of V5 will behave exactly as you expect.

BTW, there is a third type of press, which you shouldn't use in this case which is a "long press". Its purpose is to achieve a continues "shutter button pressed down" state. This is useful for when the V5 is used to trigger a camera in bulb mode, since you can start an exposure with a long press and can then let go of the V5 until you want to stop the exposure in which case you need to press the test button again (briefly).

I hope this helps.

05-31-2013, 08:41 PM   #20

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
I hope this helps.
That absolutely helps Class A. Thanks Heaps.

Last edited by voyager13; 06-01-2013 at 09:09 PM.