Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-31-2013, 06:29 AM   #1

Pentax K20D focus problem

Hello

I'm having trouble focusing with my K20D .I can focus on things short range but when i try to focus on something at a distance it keeps hunting. I've tried it with 2 lenses and it's doing the same thing. HELP!!!

05-31-2013, 10:17 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by johnlewis804 Quote
Hello

I'm having trouble focusing with my K20D .I can focus on things short range but when i try to focus on something at a distance it keeps hunting. I've tried it with 2 lenses and it's doing the same thing. HELP!!!
Has this always been an issue? If your lenses are F5.6 or slower, you might experience slow AF. Alternatively, your lenses may need calibration (unfortunately you can't do this through the menu on the K20D AFAIK).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-31-2013, 10:42 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Alternatively, your lenses may need calibration (unfortunately you can't do this through the menu on the K20D AFAIK).
If you're talking AF fine adjust, yes you can.
05-31-2013, 10:51 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply guys, It just started doing it this week, Seems like i cant focus on things at a far distance. I tried both my kit lens and my sigma lens and the camera keeps hunting in and out .

05-31-2013, 10:55 AM   #5

Original Poster
How would do AF fine adjustment?
06-20-2013, 04:25 PM   #6

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by johnlewis804 Quote
How would do AF fine adjustment?
There are differing schools of thought on how to do fine/micro adjustment for lenses. My suggestion is to research the various methods that you come across, and then choose the method that seems to make the most sense to you.

Are you trying to focus on the same things far away under the same lighting conditions? It could be that you don't have enough contrast or the AF system is having some other difficulty. Sometimes the simple solution to that is...

1) Turn the camera 45-90deg. out of the orientation you want to use for the shot
2) Lock focus
3) Reorient the camera back and take the shot

Cross-type AF sensors were invented to alleviate the need to use the common technique I elaborated on above. Traditional AF sensors have always been designed to be more sensitive when using the camera in landscape orientation, because a majority of folks take a majority of their shots that way.
06-20-2013, 07:45 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
This simple focus chart has worked well for me: http://www.dphotojournal.com/focus-test-chart.pdf