Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-01-2013, 01:17 PM   #1
Veteran Member

k20d ae-lbutton

hi can anyone tell me how to use and when to use the ae-l button? also is there a video some where out there to demonstrate?
thanks

06-01-2013, 02:01 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Ok here's a simple example:

Suppose you're using Av to shoot a landscape. Your composition is 1/5 foreground and 4/5 sky. It's likely that the image you get will be underexposed due to the preponderance of sky. So, you would temporarily compose the image with equal parts land and sky and press the AE button to lock the exposure. Now you reframe the shot as you originally intended and shoot with the locked in exposure.

Or, say you're shooting a panorama--you could use the AE-Lock to make sure all your exposures were identical.

My preference is to shoot in M mode--for me it's simpler--but there's many a way of skinning a cat . . .
06-02-2013, 07:28 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I used mine yesterday taking photos of wind blowing through tall grass. I wasn't sure what shutter speed to use, so once I was sure my metering was correct, I locked that with the AE-L button. Then I could take several shots at different shutter speeds and use the best one. You can use it with portraits where the background lighting is very different and the face is the important subject. Step or zoom in until the face fills the frame, then press the AE-L button, then recompose and shoot. I use it for lens tests combined with Av mode to quickly run through different apertures. On lower-end cameras, the button can usually be reprogrammed to control AF, so it's not essential for everyone. I'm used to it because it was on my film camera.