Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-01-2013, 09:35 PM   #1

Studio Lighting Kit - Chinese or Branded?

Hi Guys,

Requirement - Commercial advertising photography, studio-based.
Investment - On a budget.

Has anyone tried buying a studio lighting kit on ebay and has been very happy with the reliability and performance of the kit? For eg something like this 800W Strobe Studio Flash Lighting Kit 2 Light Carry Bag Set 1K1 | eBay

Secondly, can anyone recommend a reliable and cheap external digital reflected & incident light meter?

06-02-2013, 04:30 AM   #2
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by voyager13 Quote
Studio Lighting Kit - Chinese or Branded?
If this is for business where equipment failure is not an option, without losing both revenue and credibility, I would only consider the very best possible equipment.

For everyday commercial usage you need to have both reliability and product support from the manufacturer. Bigger known brands tend to also have less incompatibility issues when used in-conjunction with other equipment too.

Consider equipment leasing, if the upfront purchase cost is prohibitive, the also maybe tax advantages to doing it this way too.
06-02-2013, 05:27 AM   #3
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by voyager13 Quote
Hi Guys,

Requirement - Commercial advertising photography, studio-based.
Investment - On a budget.

Has anyone tried buying a studio lighting kit on ebay and has been very happy with the reliability and performance of the kit? For eg something like this 800W Strobe Studio Flash Lighting Kit 2 Light Carry Bag Set 1K1 | eBay

Secondly, can anyone recommend a reliable and cheap external digital reflected & incident light meter?
I think you can get by with inexpensive constant lighting gear if only used occasionally. I don't think this is true of studio strobe gear. I am with kerrowdown on this.

Also, is the desired light meter for use with the studio strobes? I hope not. If so, you need a flash meter. A reflected/incident light meter is intended for use with constant lighting.
06-02-2013, 12:32 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks guys. Highly appreciate your replies.
Jim, I should've clarified better about the light meter I was asking about. Yes it will be for constant lighting. Which one do you use/recommend that's digital, reliable and say about $200 (if any).

06-02-2013, 06:05 PM   #5
Site Supporter

I'll let others give you an opinion on the light meter. I am still using my analog reflective/incident light meter from the late 1970's. As it still suits my needs quite well, I've never had a desire to 'upgrade'.
06-02-2013, 07:01 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Elinchrom dlite RX 4 kit. Under $1000 wireless great quality and reliable. I love love love mine.