Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-03-2013, 12:57 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Is this lens flair?

Hi all

I took the photo below of my daughter a couple of weeks ago. You'll notice something in the top left corner where you can see the shape of the aperture blades. You can see the large obvious one but then also the smaller highlights within this e.g. some bits on the swing in the background.

Personally, I quite like it. However, no idea what causes it. Can anyone explain? Is this lens flair? The photo was taken with my Tamron 28-75 and it had the hood on and also a UV filter if that makes any difference. I took a few photos that day and a handful had the same thing on them but never seen it before or since.

06-03-2013, 01:55 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The big ones are flare, the little ones are bokeh.
06-03-2013, 02:04 AM   #3
Pentaxian

TECHNICALLY, the little ones are "Circles of Confusion".

Circle of confusion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
06-03-2013, 02:09 AM   #4
Forum Member

I thought the "big ones" were called 'ghosting' and not 'flare'. Flare would reduce contrast over the whole image. No?

Ronnie

06-03-2013, 02:50 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ronnies Quote
Flare would reduce contrast over the whole image.
Thanks to modern lens coatings that are designed with the express purpose of maintaining contrast under these situations, no.
06-03-2013, 02:53 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ronnies Quote
I thought the "big ones" were called 'ghosting' and not 'flare'. Flare would reduce contrast over the whole image. No?

Ronnie
That is also how I would use terms. To me, internal refexions cause 'Ghosting' while light from strong sources just outside the field of wiew may scatter and cause a milky 'Flare' over most or all of the image?
06-03-2013, 03:17 AM   #7

Original Poster
Having searched for ghosting and flaring this seems like a pretty good overview of it all:
Understanding Lens Flare & Ghosting - Music Photography
06-03-2013, 03:50 AM   #8
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Thanks to modern lens coatings that are designed with the express purpose of maintaining contrast under these situations, no.
Modern coatings are going to reduce flare but they do not eliminate it completely. They also don't change the definition of the term 'flare'. :-)

Ronnie

06-03-2013, 04:12 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

I am no native speaker, but ...

I think flare is the more general term for any kind of light attributed to scattering within the lens. While ghosting and haze are the more specific terms for visible artefacts and reduction of contrast.

It seems wikipedia uses the same notion.
And the ghosting lens effect filter in photoshop is called "lens flare...".

But others may use different notions.

And btw, it is flare, not flair. Flair has a completely different meaning...

Last edited by falconeye; 06-03-2013 at 04:21 AM.
06-03-2013, 04:25 AM   #10

Original Poster
So in summary then it is a result of me shooting almost directly into the sun. Doing a bit of research it seems that could be quite expected with this lens so no problems, at least I have learnt something. Thanks for the responses.
06-03-2013, 04:32 AM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by thechumpen Quote
So in summary then it is a result of me shooting almost directly into the sun. Doing a bit of research it seems that could be quite expected with this lens so no problems, at least I have learnt something. Thanks for the responses.
DON'T use UV filters to 'protect' the lens - about the only two filters that cannot be duplicated by the electronics within current digital cameras are polarizers or neutral density. Extra optical surfaces only degrade the image. DO use a lens hood.
06-03-2013, 04:34 AM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
DON'T use UV filters to 'protect' the lens - about the only two filters that cannot be duplicated by the electronics within current digital cameras are polarizers or neutral density. Extra optical surfaces only degrade the image. DO use a lens hood.
Yeah I've been reading about that and have decided to remove my UV filters (although there was one on for this pic taken a few weeks ago). I do always use a lens hood though.
06-03-2013, 09:47 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
I think flare is the more general term for any kind of light attributed to scattering within the lens. While ghosting and haze are the more specific terms for visible artefacts and reduction of contrast.
Agreed
06-03-2013, 10:20 AM   #14
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
I am no native speaker, but ...

It seems wikipedia uses the same notion.
And the ghosting lens effect filter in photoshop is called "lens flare...".

But others may use different notions.

And btw, it is flare, not flair. Flair has a completely different meaning...
So...I wonder if this is lens flare? I've always assumed that the left hand side of this photo was caused by light reflecting off oil inside the lens....

Last edited by utak; 07-03-2013 at 02:07 PM.
06-05-2013, 03:58 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by utak Quote
So...I wonder if this is lens flare? I've always assumed that the left hand side of this photo was caused by light reflecting off oil inside the lens....
It looks like some kind off reflection from an element or maybe the interior of the lens. I guess the light source is high up the right side.