Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-04-2013, 05:17 AM   #16

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by percy Quote
If you are using Windows, try looking at the exif data using "ExifToolGUI" (google will find it).

If I recall correctly, I think you will need to download and install "ExifTool" first, and then "ExifToolGUI".

I had a similar issue, and that will tell you whether or not the SR has stabilised.
Thanks for the ExifTool suggestion. I found ExifTool here and here, and a MAC GUI here.

Checking with the tool, all of the photos I posted had stabilized.

06-04-2013, 06:03 AM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by Jeff Charles Quote
Thanks for the ExifTool suggestion. I found ExifTool here and here, and a MAC GUI here.

Checking with the tool, all of the photos I posted had stabilized.
Thank you for the Mac reference - I thought this was a Windows only tool, so had to run it on a virtual Windows machine.
It will be much easier just running it on the Mac
06-04-2013, 08:28 AM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

Yes, I can confirm that SR can introduce motion blur at high shutter speeds while EXIF says that SR is stabilised. I've encountered this myself on K-7. I've exchanged the camera, another one was better, however still sometimes SR ruined pictures.
My solution was simple - I was keeping SR off and turning it on only when I really needed it.

By the way, you should change your testing methodology:
  1. Autofocus on something in Live view - this will eliminate focus errors
  2. Turn AF off
  3. Take picture without SR as a reference
  4. Take several pictures with SR on.
06-04-2013, 09:02 AM   #19

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
Yes, I can confirm that SR can introduce motion blur at high shutter speeds while EXIF says that SR is stabilised. I've encountered this myself on K-7. I've exchanged the camera, another one was better, however still sometimes SR ruined pictures.
My solution was simple - I was keeping SR off and turning it on only when I really needed it.

By the way, you should change your testing methodology:
  1. Autofocus on something in Live view - this will eliminate focus errors
  2. Turn AF off
  3. Take picture without SR as a reference
  4. Take several pictures with SR on.
I think you are right about keeping SR off when it's not needed.

Your testing ideas are good too, but I'm already convinced that something is not working as it should. I've sent samples to C.R.I.S., with a copy to Pentax customer service, to get their assessment.

06-04-2013, 10:04 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Not that this is causing the problems, but YES, YES, YES, turn off SR on a tripod. I've seen my camera hop around a table and make buzzing sounds while testing. I can replicate it and it's due to SR.
06-04-2013, 12:03 PM   #21
dms
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I don't believe exif showing SR on means it had time to become operational. Just it was turned on.
06-04-2013, 01:01 PM   #22

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dms Quote
I don't believe exif showing SR on means it had time to become operational. Just it was turned on.
The exif shows both that it was turned on and that it had stabilized.
06-04-2013, 01:19 PM - 1 Like   #23

Original Poster
I just did a couple of new tests outdoors with SR off and then on. SR is definitely the problem. The examples below are in the following order: overall scene, 100% crop with SR off, 100% crop with SR on.

My recent K-5 history:
  • November - Battery depleted error; main circuit replaced
  • December - Non-funtioning focus-mode switch; repaired again
  • February - mirror flop (AKA mirror overrun); repaired again
  • Now - Malfunctioning SR
I've also gone past the 90 day warranty period since the last repair, so I do not know what Pentax will do. They should give me a new camera.

Jeff

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo     
06-04-2013, 10:21 PM   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by dms Quote
The Exif data will show whether or not the SR is on, and also whether or not it is stabilised
06-04-2013, 10:31 PM   #25

I just did a couple of new tests outdoors with SR off and then on. SR is definitely the problem. The examples below are in the following order: overall scene, 100% crop with SR off, 100% crop with SR on.
From the tests you've done at those shutter speeds it certainly does look like a SR issue. It seems to be just vertical movement. If it was just an issue of the SR not having had time to stabilise then I would have expected a more general blurring of the image with horizontal movement as well.
06-05-2013, 01:02 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
did you use a tripod ? look like the same reaction as SR and tripod : the SR going nuts up and down.
06-05-2013, 03:36 AM   #27

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by percy Quote
From the tests you've done at those shutter speeds it certainly does look like a SR issue. It seems to be just vertical movement. If it was just an issue of the SR not having had time to stabilise then I would have expected a more general blurring of the image with horizontal movement as well.
I sent sample images to C.R.I.S. and received the following reply: "The images are indicating a problem with the “SR” mechanism. Please send the camera to us for further evaluation."
06-05-2013, 03:36 AM   #28

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
did you use a tripod ? look like the same reaction as SR and tripod : the SR going nuts up and down.
No tripod. They were all hand held.
06-05-2013, 10:17 AM   #29
Pentaxian

I sent sample images to C.R.I.S. and received the following reply: "The images are indicating a problem with the “SR” mechanism. Please send the camera to us for further evaluation."
Good luck. 4 repairs in 6 months is not acceptable. If the camera is still covered under Pentax' warranty call Denver and request replacement. I don't know if they'll do it but it's worth a try.
06-05-2013, 01:20 PM   #30

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Good luck. 4 repairs in 6 months is not acceptable. If the camera is still covered under Pentax' warranty call Denver and request replacement. I don't know if they'll do it but it's worth a try.
Thanks.

It's no longer under the regular warranty, but I did buy the extended warranty. I have contacted Pentax and I told them that I want a replacement. They have sent me a prepaid UPS label to ship the camera to C.R.I.S. to be checked out, but they have not committed to giving me a new camera. I sure think they should, and it should be a K-5 II to compensate for my pain and suffering . I'm joking, but I've not had the camera to use for most of the last 7 months.

A complication is that I live in Mexico. I am in the US now, but I'm going home next Wednesday. So, even after the repair or replacement, it will take me a while to get the camera. I'm actually tempted to order a K-5 II from B&H today, so that I have a body to take back to Mexico with me. I've had a Fuji X100s on backorder for month, but it looks like that's not going to come through before I leave the States, so I've got the money for the K-5 II.

Enough of my problems .

Update: I ordered a white K-30 from B&H. $499.

Last edited by Jeff Charles; 06-05-2013 at 08:07 PM. Reason: update