Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
06-03-2013, 06:01 AM   #1

K-5 motion blur from IS?

I've been getting some blurry photos with my K-5. I've post some examples below with 100% crops to get your ideas about the possible cause.

IS was turned on in each case. I am pretty sure, but not certain, that the IS had "locked" before I took each shot. I also feel that I was pretty well braced each time. The shot of the calendar was taken at 135mm and 1/10 second, so it was at the limit for the IS, but I took several other shots after that one and they were much better.

The photos were to try out the camera after its third repair by C.R.I.S. since November. Does it look like it's still in need of service?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo   
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
06-03-2013, 08:56 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
All those pictures are inherently soft, not due to the shake reduction, but due to the lens. The 18-135 is a great superzoom, but it's still a superzoom; Meaning it's not the sharpest wide open (Which it was, for all these shots). The last two shots are most certainly caused by camera shake, though, I don't really anything having to do with the SR system. (Most people can't reliably freehand shots below 1/30s, 1/10s is hard for even the most stable set of hands)

Try shooting some test photos nonetheless - SR on and off. If the ones with SR disabled are less resolved, you'll know for certain it's miscalibrated.
06-03-2013, 09:03 AM   #3

If you are using Windows, try looking at the exif data using "ExifToolGUI" (google will find it).

If I recall correctly, I think you will need to download and install "ExifTool" first, and then "ExifToolGUI".

I had a similar issue, and that will tell you whether or not the SR has stabilised.
06-03-2013, 09:30 AM   #4
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Seems to be pretty clearly motion--but whether it is camera bounce associated with mirror, or simply camera motion due to slow speed with long FL, or both, and how effective is the camera in controlling same, is something you need to work out by taking photo's with and w/o tripod, a bunch hand held w/ and w/o SR, tripod w/ 2 sec timer, etc.

But for most people 135mm at 1/10 sec is going to be blurred. Why would you test it with such? The rule of thumb is 1/FL (s) for full frame 35mm (if you are fairly secure in your stance). Or 1/135s on 35mm, or 1/200 s on K5. If SR buys you about a couple stops--that's 1/50 sec. And if you ask you really should have worked out/know if you gave SR eneough time. It's easy enough to do anywhere!

BY the way--shoot a burst using SR--if it works, even if your stance is not so good, iikely one or two will be considerably better.

06-03-2013, 09:53 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Eulogy Quote
All those pictures are inherently soft, not due to the shake reduction, but due to the lens. The 18-135 is a great superzoom, but it's still a superzoom; Meaning it's not the sharpest wide open (Which it was, for all these shots). The last two shots are most certainly caused by camera shake, though, I don't really anything having to do with the SR system. (Most people can't reliably freehand shots below 1/30s, 1/10s is hard for even the most stable set of hands)

Try shooting some test photos nonetheless - SR on and off. If the ones with SR disabled are less resolved, you'll know for certain it's miscalibrated.
Thanks for your response, but I do not believe that the softness is due to the lens. The 18-135 is much sharper than my sample photos, even wide open at full tele, and especially center frame.

The 1/10 second shots I posted were selected from a number of others that showed little motion blur. In fact, I tried to induce shake by holding the camera with one hand at arm's length, and I could not reproduce the extreme motion blur.
06-03-2013, 10:07 AM   #6
Pentaxian

The indoor test shots clearly show vertical blur. 1/10 second at 135mm is beyond the limits of SR but I would expect to see horizontal blur, too, whether SR was on or off.

Retry the indoor test on a tripod with SR off to rule out mirror bounce and shutter problems. If things are good on a tripod then try more handheld shots, with SR on and off to see if you find a pattern that triggers the vertical blur.

Include portrait in addition to landscape during the test sequence. When the camera is sideways does the vertical blur turn into horizontal blur? In other words, is the blur direction relative to the camera or to gravity? Mirror and shutter problems will rotate with the camera.
06-03-2013, 10:19 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dms Quote
Seems to be pretty clearly motion--but whether it is camera bounce associated with mirror, or simply camera motion due to slow speed with long FL, or both, and how effective is the camera in controlling same, is something you need to work out by taking photo's with and w/o tripod, a bunch hand held w/ and w/o SR, tripod w/ 2 sec timer, etc.

But for most people 135mm at 1/10 sec is going to be blurred. Why would you test it with such? The rule of thumb is 1/FL (s) for full frame 35mm (if you are fairly secure in your stance). Or 1/135s on 35mm, or 1/200 s on K5. If SR buys you about a couple stops--that's 1/50 sec. And if you ask you really should have worked out/know if you gave SR eneough time. It's easy enough to do anywhere!

BY the way--shoot a burst using SR--if it works, even if your stance is not so good, iikely one or two will be considerably better.
The two outdoor shots were not at 1/10, and yet they are blurry. Also, I took a series of the calendar, arms braced on the table, and only a few were as dramatically motion blurred as the one I posted.

My reason for shooting at 1/10 was that I was fooling around with the camera to test it after getting it came back from its third trip to CRIS since November. Also, I do understand the general rule about focal length and shutter speed, but for the calendar shot, I was firmly braced.

My interest in posting this "problem" is to determine if my K-5 is malfunctioning again.

06-03-2013, 10:27 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
The indoor test shots clearly show vertical blur. 1/10 second at 135mm is beyond the limits of SR but I would expect to see horizontal blur, too, whether SR was on or off.

Retry the indoor test on a tripod with SR off to rule out mirror bounce and shutter problems. If things are good on a tripod then try more handheld shots, with SR on and off to see if you find a pattern that triggers the vertical blur.

Include portrait in addition to landscape during the test sequence. When the camera is sideways does the vertical blur turn into horizontal blur? In other words, is the blur direction relative to the camera or to gravity? Mirror and shutter problems will rotate with the camera.
Good suggestions. Thanks. I have tried to make the problem happen, but so far, without success. It seems to occur at random. So far, it has not happened with IS off, so that's one data point.
06-03-2013, 11:05 AM   #9
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

By IS do you mean Shake Reduction (SR)? Presume so.

I recall hearing that motion blur--allegedly do to the camera (lens based) SR--had spoiled an in the jungle jaguar shot. (Years ago.)

If not allowing SR to come on fully could result in more blur than if it was off--it could be an important question in certain types of shooting, such as the aforementioned. But to answer your question--how to decide if it was camera malfunction or not would be tough--except over longer time with extensive experience. But from your later discussion it sounds like (in all probability) SR just hadn't come on--and thus the blur was to be expected.

I often wonder if Pentax couldn't have installed a time delay--so once activated the SR remains on for a period of time (e.g., 30 s). I often forget to keep the shutter release half pushed when I am anticipating the critical moment.
06-03-2013, 11:36 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What I find investing is that the first two or so shots are relatively sharp, what you would expect from the conditions , but the last ones all seem to have a lot of vertical only blurr. Are these done on a tripod? Or some other vertical support?
06-03-2013, 11:58 PM   #11

Jeff,
Have you checked the exif data to see whether or not the SR had stabilised on the shots in question?
06-04-2013, 03:45 AM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by percy Quote
Jeff,
Have you checked the exif data to see whether or not the SR had stabilised on the shots in question?
I checked using Exiftool. SR had stabilized on all four of the photos I posted.
06-04-2013, 03:56 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
to me, it's just that the SR can't do everything There is nothing malfunctionning here, you just need a faster shutter speed.

And i would suggest you to disable SR in daylight and keep the shutter @ 1/ focal lenght * 1.5 sec to make sure shots are crisps.
06-04-2013, 04:00 AM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
What I find investing is that the first two or so shots are relatively sharp, what you would expect from the conditions , but the last ones all seem to have a lot of vertical only blurr. Are these done on a tripod? Or some other vertical support?
The first two shots are not close to as sharp as many others I've taken with the 18-135 under similar conditions. I did not use a tripod for any of the photos. For the calendar photo, my elbows were braced on a table.

As I mentioned in another post, I've tried unsuccessfully to cause the problem by setting the lens to full zoom, the camera to 1/10 second, and the SR on, and then holding the camera at arms length with one hand to take the photo.
06-04-2013, 04:27 AM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
to me, it's just that the SR can't do everything There is nothing malfunctionning here, you just need a faster shutter speed.

And i would suggest you to disable SR in daylight and keep the shutter @ 1/ focal lenght * 1.5 sec to make sure shots are crisps.
The barn photo was taken at 1/200, with a focal length of 28mm. The car photo was 1/400 and 48mm. Even without SR, those are more than adequate shutter speeds.

The calendar shot was at 1/10 second, and at full zoom, so I agree that it was pushing the limits of SR. However, I took a number of other photos of the calendar using the same settings, and the SR compensated reasonably well. The problem has also occurred other times, seemingly at random. I haven't detected a pattern.

Also, this behavior is new. I used the camera for a year up until last November, and I do not recall similar results. Since then, as I mentioned in an earlier post, the camera has been to C.R.I.S. three times for separate repairs. If it has to go back to them again, and that's the way I am leaning, I am going to ask Pentax to replace it.