Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-03-2013, 09:32 AM   #1
Forum Member

sopts in photos

Can someone tell me what these spots are in my photo..I can not get rid of them.they mostly show up in sky photos.I have cleaned censor and lens. Changed disk.They still show up.

Attached Images

06-03-2013, 09:36 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
How did you clean your sensor?
06-03-2013, 09:40 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Within the camera.click button to clean censor.it lifts mirror then i shut off.
06-03-2013, 09:48 AM   #4
Veteran Member

That's definitely dust on the sensor.
QuoteOriginally posted by sujo78 Quote
Within the camera.click button to clean censor.it lifts mirror then i shut off.
Did you clean it then? That menu option doesn't actually clean the sensor. It lifts the mirror and shutter so you can access the sensor for cleaning. At this point, you're supposed to blow it off with a rocket blower. Don't touch it with anything, and do not blow on it from your lungs. You'll get spittle on it. Doesn't matter how neat you think you are, It will happen.

06-03-2013, 09:56 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Ok Exactually what blower do i use? not sure what a rocket blower is. I thought camera cleaned it automatic.So i am assuming I take lens off then lift sensor,then blow it? I need step by step..I have no clue Thanks for help.
06-03-2013, 10:09 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Hi sujo78- step by step instructions are in your camera manual; look for "Cleaning the CMOS Sensor".

There are two separate camera Menu items for cleaning your sensor. The first Dust Removal which either shakes the sensor or uses an ultrasonic vibration. The second is Sensor Cleaning, which as you described, lifts the mirror and opens the shutter to give you access. You want to use a blower as described in your manual. A Rocket Air Blaster is a specific brand made by Giottos with many recommendations by Forum members. If you do a web search, you should have no trouble finding one.
06-03-2013, 10:13 AM   #7
Moderator PEG Judges

These look like dust spots on the sensor, you can clone them out PP, clean the sensor yourself, or have it done professionally.

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 06-03-2013 at 02:36 PM.
06-03-2013, 10:24 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sujo78 Quote
Ok Exactually what blower do i use? not sure what a rocket blower is. I thought camera cleaned it automatic.So i am assuming I take lens off then lift sensor,then blow it? I need step by step..I have no clue Thanks for help.
The blower:

Make sure your camera has plenty of battery power. Go into menu options - Sensor cleaning, Mirror up.

It will lift the mirror and open the shutter to access the sensor. Face the camera downwards (to prevent things falling into the mirror box) and take off the lens. If you are uncomfortable with doing any part of this with one hand, prepare lens caps and camera caps ahead of time. Take the rocket blower as shown, insert the nozzle a little bit into the mirror box, and squeeze a few times. Try to shift the blower around to make sure the center of your air spray hits different parts of the sensor.

While doing all this, make sure that the nozzle is only a little bit inside the mirror box. Entering the mirror box too far may cause you to hit the sensor with the nozzle - and risk scratching it. Also, if your camera makes BEEPBEEPBEEP sounds, take the nozzle out and turn off the camera.

The blowing action will force most dust off the sensor, and since your camera is facing downwards - the dust will leave the camera. After you have used the blower for several squeezes, turn off the camera and put a body cap on. Turn your attention to the back of the lens - clean the back of the lens using either a lenspen or the blower.

After cleaning the back of the lens, you can reconnect the lens to the body and there should be no more dust left.

If there is still dust on the sensor after doing this several times, you might have something literally stuck on the sensor. That is when you will need to look into wet cleaning. I have had only one instance where I needed to wet clean the sensor. The remaining 99% of the time, the rocket blower was enough to keep my sensor clean.

To reduce the need to clean the sensor, avoid changing the lens in:

-Dusty conditions
-Outside on a windy day
-Near a fan
-With the camera facing up
-Changing to a lens with dust on the back

06-03-2013, 10:25 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here is the blower: Amazon.com: Giottos AA1900 Rocket Air Blaster Large - Black: Camera & Photo
I think everything else was covered above. Just dust spots.

You don't mention which camera but many have a setting to run the dust shaker on startup, I have always set this to 'on' and it has made a big difference. The dust cleaner on the k-5 is much better than the one on the k-x. You might try running this several times manually (its in the menu) first then testing by shooting a blue sky at small aperture (f/22). If that does not work then you need to clean the sensor. And as noted above, no blowing on it! and no canned air, just get the Rocket Blower.
06-03-2013, 10:30 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Also, don't try to use canned air on a camera sensor, since it could leave residue behind. "Canned air" is actually refrigerant R-134a, the same stuff used in car air conditioning systems and refrigerators. They also add an ingredient called "bittergent" to keep kids from huffing it. You don't want that stuff on your sensor.

Assuming this is your K-30, you need pages 260 thru 262 in your manual for details about cleaning the sensor.
06-03-2013, 10:57 AM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you all so much for your help. this group is the best :-) I will be ordering the Rocket Blower and get this fixed!
06-03-2013, 02:16 PM - 1 Like   #12

Photos: Albums
Quick tip I heard from someone else on the forum... Give your blower a good few squeezes before using it on your camera. Someone said they used theirs and then ended up with lots of spots on the sensor. Conclusion was that it must have blown bits or rubber fragments out on first use.
06-03-2013, 10:07 PM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
thanks for the tip..I will do that.
06-04-2013, 12:27 PM   #14

I didn't see anyone mention the lens filter. If you have another lens, swap lenses and take the same picture and see if they show up in the same place. I had something that looked exactly the same as that but only on my wide-angle kit lens, my other lenses were clean.
06-04-2013, 09:39 PM   #15
Forum Member

Original Poster
I did try my other lens,,and it is the same.Waiting for my Rocket blower to come in.. I hope it works..