Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-04-2013, 10:17 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The 10-24 gets some good reviews. As for sigma glass, I own the 10-20 and the 70-200, both for 8-10 years now, I have the tamron 28-75/2.8 to fill the middle gap

As for the differences, I cannot speak for newer sigma glass, but the older ones are built like tanks. The tamron lens seems a lighter in construction. A for reliability etc. it is a tough call, my Tammy a failed once, and was repaired under warranty, but it required the lens to be ultimately sent back to Japan for repair, I never found out exactly what failed but it had become quote soft. The Tammy is also a little temperamental and does not play well with my K7 for some reason, it is ok with my K10 and K5, and when using flash on the K7. It makes me think there is something in the interaction of SR and the lens which causes SR to over compensate.

06-05-2013, 02:37 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have the Tamron 10-24 and love it. I have another Tamron lens (17-50) to replace the kit lens and I have a couple of Sigma Prime lenses. It seems everytime I buy a zoom lens, I'm left with a choice between Tamron or Sigma, and in all honesty reviews here often seem split. I tend to choose Tamron based on price and find that they are worth every penny. It doesn't mean there isn't something better or that you won't have problems. It seems at their price point there are a decent amount of problems, but I've never experienced them myself.

When I choose lenses, especially zoom ones, I tend to focus on their relative sharpness. I know some people focus on color, but I find the differences more subtle than what I can do in PP or with White Balance. Of course, with a preference to not using PP, that may be come an important factor for you.

The ultimate conclusion: I'm not sure there is going to be a right choice between Tamron and Sigma. I suggest browsing some of the lens forums and clubs here to see how the two lenses compare. You can do the same thing using Flickr perhaps making sure you are also looking at Pentax versions of the lenses when comparing. I find the examples here are often quite enlightening to how good lenses can be as some people are extra critical (or not critical enough) when verbally describing the quality of a lens,
06-05-2013, 04:37 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I went though this a while back and bought the Tamron 10-24 and its been a great purchase. Its as wide but it also goes longer than the Sigma.
06-12-2013, 11:07 AM   #19
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
OMG -
Broke down and ordered the K-5 IIs yesterday and had it overnighted... anxiously kept an eye out for the "guys in brown" to show up...

and... the K-5 IIs = AMAZING from the first frame!

Night and day difference in punch and clarity - and the focusing is.. for lack of a better way to put it, CONFIDENT. No hunt, no hesitation, just gets right to it. I would go so far as to say "Fast", but end to end I don't think there is a difference in translational speed, just dead on when it gets there!

Lot's more playing to do, but as a stop-gap, I'm already a happy camper!

Still debating over the Tammy or the Sigma... from what I have been reading it's more or less a toss up or a battle over more reach - vs - F3.5 constant... and of course the money difference between the Sig 3.5 and the Tam.

If I wasn't debating over something, I'd probably be bored.

...Three cheers for the K-5 IIs!!!

Last edited by Tricktech; 06-12-2013 at 11:12 AM.