Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-03-2013, 07:53 PM   #1

k-30 Sensor dust

I've been putting up with the dust on my k-30 sensor for about as long as it's been out, finally fed up with all the ruined shots because of it. So I ask of the comminuty, what is the best way to clean off the dust? I didn't want to just go ahead and cotton swab it or air dust it and potentially ruin the beautiful sensor. I'm uploading an image to show most off the specs on the sensor. Any and all advice is graciously appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Image uploaded. The top left one drives me insane.

Last edited by FragileBird; 06-03-2013 at 09:44 PM. Reason: image didn't upload
06-03-2013, 08:12 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FragileBird Quote
I've been putting up with the dust on my k-30 sensor for about as long as it's been out, finally fed up with all the ruined shots because of it. So I ask of the comminuty, what is the best way to clean off the dust? I didn't want to just go ahead and cotton swab it or air dust it and potentially ruin the beautiful sensor. I'm uploading an image to show most off the specs on the sensor. Any and all advice is graciously appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Ah... Those dust bunnies... 2 tips for you:

1) Invest in a rocket blower, mirror up, turn camera mount facing down, use rocket blower

or

2) Invest in finding a good friend who owns a rocket blower, mirror up, turn camera mount facing down, use rocket blower.

;P
06-03-2013, 08:15 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thank you! Not to laugh but, that thing seriously does the trick? haha.

I just imaged it would be some terribly nervous expirence to clean it.
06-03-2013, 08:21 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The rocket blower will work, provided you're in a room with low humidity.

If you're looking for a more effective solution - Visible Dust brushes supposedly work well. (Invest in the more expensive ones, I purchased the cheapest variant and it was DOA.)

Sensor swabs are also a thing, but be careful, there's loads of misinformation regarding them. (Sensors aren't as delicate as they're made out to be, but they're also very prone to liquid damage)

06-03-2013, 08:25 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Yes, mostly. But don't overdo it, because you can blast dust up into the viewfinder. I mainly use the rocket blower for shifting dust off the front of my lens.

For the sensor: I always 100% recommend the pentax sensor cleaning kit - it's a bit expensive and hard to find, but well worth it, because it can remove stubborn or sticky dust, such as pollen. It lasts for years, too. I'm on the same kit since 2007 and I've only used a few sheets of the special paper. Should only need to clean the camera once or twice a year, if you're reasonably careful.

Pentax O-ICK1 Image Sensor Cleaning Kit 39357

Never damaged a sensor with this kit and it seems to stop the sensor from getting more dust on again.

Best tip is to always change lenses with the body 'hole' facing down and to change lenses reasonably quickly, so the body isn't open to the air.
06-03-2013, 08:27 PM   #6

Original Poster
So to be sure I should just buy the rocket blower and a dust brush? Does the rocker model matter? I see there are different sizes. And as for the sensor dust brush what would be a good brand that I'll know will work? I rather pay more for something that will work than something that wont // something that will ruin the sensor.
06-03-2013, 08:29 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Eulogy Quote
If you're looking for a more effective solution - Visible Dust brushes supposedly work well. (Invest in the more expensive ones, I purchased the cheapest variant and it was DOA.)

Sensor swabs are also a thing, but be careful, there's loads of misinformation regarding them. (Sensors aren't as delicate as they're made out to be, but they're also very prone to liquid damage)
Oh, you don't want to go there unless you REALLY have to..

When i sold my Kr previously, the buyer actually whipped out a timepiece magnifier, shove it onto his eyes, shone a small torchlight into my sensor to check!

I was thinking, "WtH?! Are you bejeezus serious?!"

Thank God i've never used anything to touch my sensor.. But he says from experience, small scuffs cannot be seen with the naked eye.. !
Nevertheless, after the shock and the successful dealings, i will remember that experience for life..

06-03-2013, 08:31 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by calsan Quote
Yes, mostly. But don't overdo it, because you can blast dust up into the viewfinder. I mainly use the rocket blower for shifting dust off the front of my lens.

For the sensor: I always 100% recommend the pentax sensor cleaning kit - it's a bit expensive and hard to find, but well worth it, because it can remove stubborn or sticky dust, such as pollen. It lasts for years, too. I'm on the same kit since 2007 and I've only used a few sheets of the special paper. Should only need to clean the camera once or twice a year, if you're reasonably careful.

Never damaged a sensor with this kit and it seems to stop the sensor from getting more dust on again.

Best tip is to always change lenses with the body 'hole' facing down and to change lenses reasonably quickly, so the body isn't open to the air.
bingo! pricey but if it gets the job done with ilttle to no effect I will surely try to find one to invest in.

Thanks for the tip, I'm diffently guilty of that esspecially with older/bigger lenses.
06-03-2013, 08:33 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SyncGuy Quote
Oh, you don't want to go there unless you REALLY have to..

When i sold my Kr previously, the buyer actually whipped out a timepiece magnifier, shove it onto his eyes, shone a small torchlight into my sensor to check!

I was thinking, "WtH?! Are you bejeezus serious?!"

Thank God i've never used anything to touch my sensor.. But he says from experience, small scuffs cannot be seen with the naked eye.. !
Nevertheless, after the shock and the successful dealings, i will remember that experience for life..
I rather not touch the sensor as long as I don't have to. I'm still a little cautious about the pentax cleaning swab thing mentioned above, but if it works I can't really argue.
06-03-2013, 08:56 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Dust removal procedure in order:

1. Use the camera dust removal system (shaker) There is a menu setting to turn on/off. If you have dust run this several times in a row and then check for dust again. I leave mine on "run on startup" and think that is best so you don't have to worry about it.
  2. Use a 'rocket blower' or equivalent to blow off anything the shaker will not get rid of. Do not use compressed air or canned air. Some folks report it is OK to use canned air if you are careful, personally I'm not taking any chances. Do not blow into the camera with your mouth, you will spit on the sensor no matter how careful you are.
  3. Use a wet cleaning kit. This is the last resort, and on two cameras with over 25,000 actuations in all kinds of environments I've never had to use one yet. Get this if all else fails but don't go there unless you are sure you need it.
  4. Send in for professional cleaning. Pentax extended warranty (in the US) includes one 'free' cleaning. Not sure about anywhere else.
06-03-2013, 09:08 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Dust removal procedure in order:

1. Use the camera dust removal system (shaker) There is a menu setting to turn on/off. If you have dust run this several times in a row and then check for dust again. I leave mine on "run on startup" and think that is best so you don't have to worry about it.
  2. Use a 'rocket blower' or equivalent to blow off anything the shaker will not get rid of. Do not use compressed air or canned air. Some folks report it is OK to use canned air if you are careful, personally I'm not taking any chances. Do not blow into the camera with your mouth, you will spit on the sensor no matter how careful you are.
  3. Use a wet cleaning kit. This is the last resort, and on two cameras with over 25,000 actuations in all kinds of environments I've never had to use one yet. Get this if all else fails but don't go there unless you are sure you need it.
  4. Send in for professional cleaning. Pentax extended warranty (in the US) includes one 'free' cleaning. Not sure about anywhere else.
Thanks jax! A big help like always. I hope the rocket blower takes care of whats on it, what bothers me the most is this hair looking dust that looks like this ~. It shows up in every light / solid color image.

Any advice on how to load this image to show this gnarly piece of dust?
06-03-2013, 09:23 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by FragileBird Quote
Any advice on how to load this image to show this gnarly piece of dust?
Here you go: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/6-how-upload-photos-begi...tart-here.html

I think you would be surprised how small that piece of dust really is though.
06-03-2013, 09:32 PM   #13

Original Poster
Thanks, image uploaded to show dust. You can see some of the bigger ones.
06-03-2013, 11:07 PM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

The best advice I can give to back this up is to ALWAYS use your rear cap. Don't leave a lens just sitting around because you'll get dust on that rear element and unless you clean that lens before placing it on your camera, a lot of that dust will then transfer to your sensor and you'll be screwed.

I think most people wind up getting dust in the camera because it piggybacks in via a dirty lens than anything, since a lens swap is (usually) a quick enough affair you won't have tons of dust fly in during it.
06-03-2013, 11:43 PM   #15
Veteran Member

+1 for the cleaning kit. I purchased it based on a recommendation through these forums. Got one myself (Amazon import from Japan, cost me about $50 total). Tried it out the other day. It worked well enough. Got rid of a lot of the small niggling bits. One annoying thing though is that the battery has to be fully charged for the mirror lock up to be activated. If the battery is even at something like 95%, the mirror won't go up (the camera will state that there's "not enough battery" to perform the operation).

Between that, a rocket blower, and the in-body dust cleaning mechanism, my sensor is a lot cleaner than it was before. Also, I told myself that if it ever needs more cleaning after a cycle through those three things, it's time to send it in for professional cleaning.