Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-04-2013, 05:34 AM   #1
Inactive Account

K-30 ta buy or not ta buy

I know i'm in a Pentax forum so will see some bias but i hope to get some advice. Im seriously looking at the K-30 either as kit with 18-55 wr and 50-200 wr or just body. anyways I have been on other forums and some are saying go to Nikon d7000 but pound for pound i think the K-30 offers more value for money and i can get a brand new one cheaper than a d7000. anyway what id like ta know is would a K-30 be good for motor sport with only 11 AF points 9 are crossed compared to 39 AF points of the d7000? not saying im going to be taking the camera everywhere i go as i have a CSC for that but for motor sport or long range distance shots.

06-04-2013, 07:26 AM   #2

I am an old film guy who gave up on photography about 5 years ago and just getting back into it with digital. I find the k-30 to be the perfect camera for me. You can get some great deals (check out Pentax news on this forum) for kits which include the k-30 with 18-55WR and/or 50-200WR or 18-135WR. I used to do motor sports with an all manual pentax k-1000 and had no problem with focus. This K-30 seems like a breeze to me in focusing.
06-04-2013, 07:36 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
All the autofocus points in the world won't help if the camera's in the bag because it's raining. WR is what tipped the balance for me. Get the 18-135 kit, and make sure to adjust the autofocus.

I like the K-30 ergonomics better also.
06-04-2013, 08:06 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I moved from a Super Program to a K-r. After a bit of a learning curve between film and digital, I did like the K-r a lot. I moved to the K-30 for a few reasons: I could sell the K-r, I could get a comparable condition K-30 at a good price ('good' still cost me a bit of money), and the K-30 supports dual wheels more closely resembling how I worked with my Super Program and a 100% viewfinder. The big, big plus, is the DA 18-135 WR lens. It is sharp, focus is almost silent, and it crosses the 50/55mm point. I found out that all too often I wanted a focal length just the other side of that 50/55mm boundary for my next shot. Interchangeable lenses are great - unless you have to do it too often.

If the OP does purchase a two lens kit, I will highly recommend also locating a used Pentax F35-70. While this lens is not WR, it is sharp, and the range is especially well suited for general people photography with close focus capabilites, and most of all, it is a seriously under-priced lens.

06-04-2013, 09:16 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Nikon uses all those AF points to predict focus for moving objects. It is better at that than the Pentax. That looks like you should get the Nikon, but only if autofocus really worked. In practice, just when the most amazing action happens, AF will lock onto the fence or the fat guy in the infield or simply give up. OK, maybe that is pessimistic but the failures will really annoy you. For panning shots and shots where I can predict where the cars will be, I will be using manual focus anyway.

Two card slots would be nice. The cameras are otherwise close. The Nikon used to be a lot more but is now an older model with the D7100 getting the big price tag. A tough choice.