Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-05-2013, 09:05 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Keywords in image data

As I am sure many here do, I frequently change lenses during the course of a day out shooting. At times, I will also switch between different lenses of the same focal length, sometimes simply to test out the latest example of LBA. Since these are most often manual focus lenses, the lens info often doesn't get recognized by the camera or lightroom. Is there any way i can set a keyword in the file data either immediately after i am shooting, or preferably, set it once and have it be added to every subsequent photo i take until i change it or turn off the feature? Any input as always will be much appreciated.

06-05-2013, 09:30 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm not a frequent lens changer, but I've seen this tip posted somewhere. Carry some index cards with the lens info written and snap off a pic of the card as soon as you change, as well as when you change back. If you're consistent, anything in between will be taken with the lens from the card with the lowest (or lower) file #.
06-05-2013, 09:42 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No, unfortunately. That would be a nice feature to have though. The ability to add keywords in-camera would certainly be interesting. Not sure how many people would really take the time though.

On Pentax you can add the focal length, required on startup when using a manual lens if SR is enabled. I find this is sufficient to make the lens identifiable to me once imported into Lightroom. Except in the case where you have used different lenses of the same focal length, something I don't believe I have ever done, so it works for me. I just group lenses with the same focal length and apply the keyword that matches that lens.

You can add the lens name to the file using EXIF-Tool or other programs though I do not believe you can change that in LR which would make things simpler. I used to do this faithfully but I've let it slip the last while and just use keywords in LR.
06-05-2013, 10:31 AM   #4
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

What happens if you use the in-cam owner name field for lens instead, and change it if you change lens?

06-05-2013, 11:31 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nass Quote
What happens if you use the in-cam owner name field for lens instead, and change it if you change lens?
Funny, I was just thinking the same thing. It's probably a lot more convoluted and time consuming than my index card tip, but no pen or paper required!
06-05-2013, 11:43 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nass Quote
Good idea. I think the owner name appears in the EXIF 'Artist' tag. EXIF has also an ImageDescription tag (image title), and a UserComment tag, but I don't know if you can set them in the camera. Also depends on the camera of course.
In the K5-II you can set photographer information via the Tool menu Set-up 3 (PDF manual, chapter 9, Changing Additional Settings | Setting the Photographer Information).