Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-09-2013, 08:08 AM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RKKS08 Quote
My impression, too.

Possible reasons?
I don't know for sure, but I have noticed that they all seem to be issues with distant subjects. I wonder how many of these folk live in areas with poor air quality, persistent haze, or temperature-related atmospheric distortion. Here in the Pacific Northwest the quality of our landscape photography is often limited by moisture in the air. It wasn't long after I got my K10D that I realized that the more air between me and my subject, the less likely it was that I was going to get a crisp photo.

While it is possible that the lenses in question are not properly collimated for infinity focus, it is more likely (in my opinion) that the fault lies with atmospheric conditions, choice of subject, flare, camera motion, fungus, or any number of things that can contribute to image softness. It might also be that the lens is really not that sharp to begin with.

Steve

06-09-2013, 08:11 AM   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by djmundy Quote
Thanks heaps Elliott for pointing me in the right direction. My lens now focuses great
Glad you got your problem fixed!

Steve
07-11-2013, 06:04 AM   #18

Hello

I have the same problem but it's coming from another source. The mount of the DAL 18-55 - the plastic part holding covering all the screws, AF ridge and contacts (deep shiny black on the pic) - doesn't hold on to the lens and because of that the AF screw is having problems staying in touch with the lens

I taped the plastic to the outside of the lens but the tape isn't that strong and its a bit stretchy and every part of a milimeter counts for AF confirmation.
Does anyone has a better solution or is there a way to buy a new plastic part of the mount for less than 55$?

Many thanks
07-11-2013, 06:50 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wookowaratz Quote
Hello

I have the same problem but it's coming from another source. The mount of the DAL 18-55 - the plastic part holding covering all the screws, AF ridge and contacts (deep shiny black on the pic) - doesn't hold on to the lens and because of that the AF screw is having problems staying in touch with the lens

I taped the plastic to the outside of the lens but the tape isn't that strong and its a bit stretchy and every part of a milimeter counts for AF confirmation.
Does anyone has a better solution or is there a way to buy a new plastic part of the mount for less than 55$?

Many thanks
Are you saying that the whole mount itself is loose on the back of the lens? Or are you saying that the plastic on the mount is worn down and is causing the lense to not be tight on the camera?

If the mount itself is loose on the lens, have you tried tightening the screws?

If the holes where the scrwws go into are broken off of the lens itself, the only fix besides replacing the lens is to remove the mount and glue the screw holes back in place very carefully.

If it is the mount that is worn down, you should be able to order the mount from Pentax for less than $10.

07-11-2013, 07:25 AM   #20

The screw holes are broken off the shiny plastic part and now screws don't hold it firmly and the AF doesn't work properly
I can't glue them because they broke in pieces and I don't have them anymore
07-11-2013, 08:00 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by wookowaratz Quote
The screw holes are broken off the shiny plastic part and now screws don't hold it firmly and the AF doesn't work properly
I can't glue them because they broke in pieces and I don't have them anymore
At the risk of sounding condescending, as the cowboys say about horses, it sounds like this lens was 'rode rough and put away wet' just a few times too many. I currently have one DA L lens and just recently sold a two others. All in excellent shape. I simply cannot fathom how a DA L plastic mount could be in this shape with what most folks would consider normal usage. Was this lens & camera dropped at some point?

As someone suggested, the mount can be repaired, but I wonder what other internal damage might have been done? Personally, if this were an often used lens that I really liked, I would play it safe and buy a used replacement.
07-11-2013, 02:47 PM   #22

Thank you all for your time.

Yes, the lens dropped with camera at some point and was my bad luck that I couldn't notice the damage right away because I believe I would get refunded by the damage dealer. The thing is that lens can be mounted properly, but that plastic holder isn't screwed tight in the lens body anymore. When I point the camera up or when I hold the lens close to the body, the AF works perfectly fine. But when I point it down the weight does it's thing and the lens moves a tiny bit away from the body and the AF screw can't hit the AF notch on the lens.

I taped that plastic cover to the lens to hold it closer together and now it functions properly BUT it can't focus to infinity when it's on focal length shorter than 25mm

I'm saving for DA 35mm F2.4 AL or/and Tamron 17-50, not liking the idea to spend on this kit lens which is overpriced in my area