Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-06-2013, 08:59 AM   #1

flash overexposure

Hi all, im kinda new to the world of Pentax...and especially to flash guns...never used them before.

I got a Jessops 360afd flash gun (a friend gave it to me) and even though it seems to work just fine, it over exposures everything. Any idea what i should do with the settings? i tried alot of options and so far the closest i can get to 'normal' is if i have it on slow trailing curtain sync but that makes the shutter stay open for a while and everything is blurry unless i use a tripod

am i missing something or is it just that this flash gun is not compatible with my k-30?

thank you in advance,

Maria

06-06-2013, 09:21 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Since all third party flashes for Pentax are reverse engineered there can be compatibility problems with newer bodies. I know Metz flashes needed firmware updates to work with the K-30, others might have too.

I believe that flash is a rebranded Tumax, but I'm not sure exactly which model.
06-06-2013, 03:11 PM   #3
Pentaxian

On those rare times I use flash, on my PTTL Sigma flash I usually just dial down the flash output (the flash compensation) in-camera to - 0.7 (or thereabouts) for direct flash. Not sure if your Jessops flash supports this.

You could also try putting a diffuser on the flash to steal away some of the strength of the flash output.
06-06-2013, 03:21 PM   #4

Original Poster
Ive done both...still way too powerful...

06-06-2013, 04:39 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by madbean Quote
Ive done both...still way too powerful...
You didn't say what flash mode you are using; pttl (if your flash supports that), ttl, A or M mode? Using in PTTL or TTL mode, the flash adjust the power accordingly to ensure that given the camera setting and the subject distance, the subject is not 'over-exposed'. If you are using third party flashes, then you may have to dial the power down accordingly to avoid flash highlight clipping.
06-06-2013, 05:24 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by madbean Quote
still way too powerful...
What ISO are you using? Sometimes the auto-ISO can jump to levels like 1600 ISO for flash, which is crazy and can result in overexposure burn-outs. Last time I did a lot of flash I manually set the camera to ISO 200 or 400.
06-06-2013, 07:14 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
On the Jessops website they only list the Canon, Nikon, Sony version. Is there even a version that works with Pentax P-TTL?
360AFD - Jessops

The Canon or Nikon versions would physically slide into the hot shoe OK.

Seems you can trigger it but it is probably just firing at full power which typically overexposes closer subjects as the flash isn't getting the "TTL" information on the correct metering and power to use.

Does the flash have a MANUAL mode where you can manual set it to lower power? ie 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, 1/32 etc etc.

Maybe you could just use it like that. Just guess the power needed, take a test shot and then adjust up or down to suit.
Manual mode at least will give a consistent output and as you use it more you would get used to estimating the power needed.

Edit:
I just read the description that the Jessops 360AFD is a "TTL" flash. It's not a "P-TTL" flash.
(I assume they've written that detail correct in the description)

There is a difference between TTL and P-TTL.

The Pentax K-30 does not support TTL it uses P-TTL.
(P-TTL does a pre-flash then adjusts power to level of the flash to suit)

And older Pentax DSLR like an *istD will support TTL so that flash will work fine with an *istD but not in it's auto mode on a K-30.

TTL flash is different - it doesn't do a pre-flash, it just cuts off the power during the shot when the exposure is correct.

Hope I've got that right

Last edited by steve1307; 06-06-2013 at 07:40 PM. Reason: more info added.
06-07-2013, 12:22 PM   #8

Original Poster
thank you guys I think we have a winner with Steve