Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 21 Likes Search this Thread
06-07-2013, 09:53 AM   #16

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Was this done with manual focus? Do you have a full size image or a 100% crop of that newer shot?
Auto Focus, top center point (think it would be pointless to do center given the subject lol)
F 5
1/125
ISO-320

Attached Images

06-07-2013, 09:58 AM - 1 Like   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Was this done with manual focus? Do you have a full size image or a 100% crop of that newer shot?
Are you thinking front focus?
EXIF says f5, thus a little bit more depth of field, so the subject is still in focus, but if you look at the table it seems as if actual focus is more to the front of the subject...?
06-07-2013, 10:01 AM - 1 Like   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
Are you thinking front focus?
EXIF says f5, thus a little bit more depth of field, so the subject is still in focus, but if you look at the table it seems as if actual focus is more to the front of the subject...?
I'm not sure where the focus is landing exactly, so that's why I prefer manually focusing the lens on a tripod with liveview. By taking focus out of the equation completely, we can help narrow down the flaw.
06-07-2013, 10:11 AM   #19

Original Poster
I'm not sure where the focus is landing exactly, so that's why I prefer manually focusing the lens on a tripod with liveview. By taking focus out of the equation completely, we can help narrow down the flaw.
Thanks for that. Let me try again with manual focus, will post results shortly.

06-07-2013, 10:21 AM - 1 Like   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dmazimoto Quote
Thanks for that. Let me try again with manual focus, will post results shortly.
Take your time, and use 2sec delay or 3s remote shutter.

In general, it can take some getting used to when shooting autofocus - especially in dim light or confusing situations. I have spent 2 years with my k-x, and I get solid focusing because I know it so well. With my recently purchased k-01, I have trouble with the autofocus sometimes, and I take longer to shoot.

I highly suggest checking the lens with manual focus, then testing the focus fine adjustment requirement to see if you can get the lens to focus accurately automatically. If fine focus adjustment doesn't work, then you may have to get the body or the lens checked out.

Do you have any other autofocus lenses?
06-07-2013, 10:49 AM - 1 Like   #21
Veteran Member

I'd just like to say that when I first got my K-r, I thought the camera can't do better, but as the years go by, I noticed that the biggest part of the equation was myself. Learning to use a complicated DSLR can take some time, but it will outshine any phone. Feel free to look at the photo sample tool on this forum and search for samples of photos taken with K-30 and that lens.
06-07-2013, 10:58 AM - 1 Like   #22
Veteran Member

I will add a suggestion that try shooting in daylight instead of indoor lighting, and see if AF works.
Good that you ask question instead of yelling "PENTAX sucks!".

06-07-2013, 11:02 AM   #23

Original Poster
Take your time, and use 2sec delay or 3s remote shutter.

In general, it can take some getting used to when shooting autofocus - especially in dim light or confusing situations. I have spent 2 years with my k-x, and I get solid focusing because I know it so well. With my recently purchased k-01, I have trouble with the autofocus sometimes, and I take longer to shoot.

I highly suggest checking the lens with manual focus, then testing the focus fine adjustment requirement to see if you can get the lens to focus accurately automatically. If fine focus adjustment doesn't work, then you may have to get the body or the lens checked out.

Do you have any other autofocus lenses?
Just the kit lens.
06-07-2013, 11:11 AM   #24

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
I will add a suggestion that try shooting in daylight instead of indoor lighting, and see if AF works.
Good that you ask question instead of yelling "PENTAX sucks!".
I did extensive research on Pentax before deciding on my K30 and I love the camera. I hope I can get this sorted for better quality.
06-07-2013, 11:17 AM - 1 Like   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dmazimoto Quote
Just the kit lens.
Test the kit lens as well - at 35mm and 55mm.

For field testing, shoot in bright light (preferably sunlight) at a subject that is nice and contrasty that fills the center circle in your viewfinder. Make sure it is a stationary object, and shoot at 1/500s or faster to ensure that there is no motion blur, and that your natural sway doesn't shift the focus point.

For fine focus testing, there are several focus testing methods on the internet. My preferred method is:

1) Put camera on tripod, aim at contrasty subject that fills center of viewfinder.
2) Set fine focus adjust at 0. Turn off autofocus. Press shutter button halfway and check for focus confirmation (green hexagon).
3) Release shutter button (keep autofocus off, all settings the same), move your fine focus -10um and repeat to check for focus confirmation.
4) Repeat this until you reach the point where the focus confirmation will not work. This is the back focus limit of your lens.
5) Reset the fine focus adjust to 0, and then go the other direction (+10um). This will find your front focus limit.
6) Take the negative and positive value and add together, then divide by 2. This will give you the focus adjustment that centers the lens.

There are multiple other methods, and I have found that they generally come out similarly.
06-07-2013, 11:40 AM - 1 Like   #26
Veteran Member

Looking at the first picture, it looks like a combination of several things - the lens has shown some slight front-focusing issue (instead of the faces, the sharpness is on the black T-shirt); also shallow DOF (moving further away from the subject may help to increase the DOF); a faster shutter speed (1/25) may help as well.
06-12-2013, 01:56 PM   #27

Original Poster
Hey guys a bad storm hit right after my last post so I was offline that day, then left for Houston. I've been slammed with work but working on the setup to get my camera's focus back in shape. I do feel the lens I am using is "loose" and the focus and aperture rings have quite a bit of play compared to my M42 Takumar. I didn't notice until today it was that loose and not sure if that affects focusing (I'm sure it does). Anyways, I'll post pics tonight, and again thanks to everyone that responded and is trying to help me, much appreciated
06-13-2013, 05:26 PM   #28

Original Poster
Ok finally it stopped raining and power is back on (it's been raining when I get out of work past couple of days I've gotten out early).

Ok. I did the setup. Good lighting plus flash to ensure lighting was not the issue. I shot a receipt (didn't have a newspaper handy, sorry) at aprox 45 degree angle, max aperture and manual focused dead center. The tro crops attached are of the center of the images. To me they seem in focus but the fuzziness is still there.

Shoe Brush, 45 degree angle, center focus (manual), F1.7, ISO100, 1/180, flash on

Receipt, 45 degree angle, center focus (manual), F1.7, ISO100, 1/180, flash on

This is driving me nuts. My dads old Sony P/S is shooting sharper than my DSLR

EDIT: I was going to continue testing but I'm kind of bummed out at the image quality.

EDIT AGAIN: These were taken on a tripod as well.
06-13-2013, 11:48 PM - 1 Like   #29
Veteran Member

Can't see the images...?
06-14-2013, 06:16 AM   #30

Original Poster
Sorry
Attached Images